The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 19, 2018, 05:50 PM   #1
labnoti

Scandium N Frames?

What happened with these? I'm new and haven't been around. I've read a few old threads from when the Model 327 and Nightguards and so on were discontinued, but there was just speculation about why it was happening.

How bad were the quality issues with the titanium cylinders' timing? How prevalent was cylinder erosion? Did S&W discontinue them because of excessive warranty returns? While I realize only further speculation could be made about that, what I'm interested in is how the guns in circulation have fared since.

The reason is I'm considering buying one. I have two options: the current 329PD, or the used market. The .44 Special or Mag. would work fine for me. I'd just reload the cartridges where I was comfortable. But the 327's capacity is a plus. I'm trying to figure out how viable this platform would be for a carry gun that is trained with. I'd want it to last for 50,000 rounds.
Old April 19, 2018, 06:28 PM   #2
reddog81

I've seen some reports of the titanium cylinder starting to get erosion on the first trip to the range. I have a 325 PD with a couple hundred rounds through it and no noticeable wear. I'm sure they would hold up reasonably well to either 38 Special loads or 44 special load, but Magnum loads might cause problems.

50,000 rounds is probably an unreasonable expectation for a round count on such a light weight gun. How many guns do you own with a round count over 10,000? Even if your reloads only cost $.10 a piece that's $5,000 worth of ammo.

Have you ever shot a Magnum round through a 20 ounce gun? It takes someone if a considerable amount of experience to make it through a cylinder full without devolving a significant flinch.
Old April 22, 2018, 05:31 PM   #3
rep1954

Quote:
I have a 325 PD with a couple hundred rounds through it and no noticeable wear.
I may be wrong but I believe the cylinder on the 325 PD is stainless steel with a coating on it.
Old April 23, 2018, 06:59 AM   #4
cecILL

A carry gun is made to be carried a lot and shot little.
Old April 23, 2018, 11:39 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

The M329PD is a 9.5" long, 4 1/8" barrel, 25 oz., scandium alloy frame with a Ti alloy cylinder, .44 Mag. The M327 is a bigger and heavier .357 scandium alloy frame.
The M325 is a 4", 9.5" long, .45 ACP revolver that weighs 30 oz.
Your M327 is a Performance Center, 2", .357. MSRP is $1309.
"...A carry gun is made to be..." They do get carried a lot, but if you don't practice with it regularly, you might as well carry a stick. It's cop issue firearms that get carried a lot and shot little.
Old April 26, 2018, 10:08 AM   #6
TRX

> MSRP is $1309

And the street price, used, isn't a whole lot lower. I'd move from my .38 to a .44 for daily carry except the price is more than I can justify, even without the added expensive of custom leather for it.
Old April 27, 2018, 04:12 PM   #7
Chainsaw.

The frames, on the 44s at least were breaking.

Plus.....ouch!
Old April 27, 2018, 04:32 PM   #8
mete

Scandium ?? It's about time that the "scandium" guns are understood as to what they are ! They are ALUMINUM with about 1 % scandium ! No magic! stop falling for the marketing hype ! Read and follow the manual ! Stop hot loading your guns. A 44 mag will do great things without wearing out the gun. Mine has seen many metallic silhouette match and many deer and still works fine .
Old April 28, 2018, 10:56 AM   #9
Nanuk

Quote:
Scandium ?? It's about time that the "scandium" guns are understood as to what they are ! They are ALUMINUM with about 1 % scandium ! No magic! stop falling for the marketing hype ! Read and follow the manual ! Stop hot loading your guns. A 44 mag will do great things without wearing out the gun. Mine has seen many metallic silhouette match and many deer and still works fine .
Yup. I had both the 44 and 357 mag versions. After several trips back to S&W for new frames, now all my magnums are steel.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old April 28, 2018, 09:16 PM   #10
Neal_G.

Quote:
A carry gun is made to be carried a lot and shot little.
Says the ghost of 1970. Things have evolved since that time. Carry a gun you have trained with and can actually shoot well. Your shooting skills will not magically improve under stress and with a massive, fear induced, adrenaline dump.

If you have some super light magnum and can't make it through a cylinder's worth of shooting on a calm gun range without your group going to crap, DON'T carry that gun.
Old April 28, 2018, 09:26 PM   #11
JERRYS.

the carried a lot and shot a little sounds like the man with inept holsters and says its comforting, not comfortable.
Old April 28, 2018, 09:43 PM   #12
K_Mac

Quote:
Says the ghost of 1970. Things have evolved since that time. Carry a gun you have trained with and can actually shoot well. Your shooting skills will not magically improve under stress and with a massive, fear induced, adrenaline dump.

If you have some super light magnum and can't make it through a cylinder's worth of shooting on a calm gun range without your group going to crap, DON'T carry that gun.
I completely agree. Shooting a gun that is carried regularly should be a natural process that can only happen by regular practice in a variety of conditions. Fast and accurate does not happen by carrying a lot and shooting a little, especially with a lightweight magnum.