The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 8, 2018, 04:06 PM   #1
gunman5646

The single six/seven in 32 caliber

Starting back in 1984 I purchased an SSM Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R. It was the start of my facination with bullets of .312/.314 caliber. I was looking for a kit/woods gun at the time. A light weight pistol in a caliber that could double as a small game,varmint hunting pistol and a self defense weapon simultaneously.
The 32 H&R filled most of that bill, equaling the 38 spec.+P in the full house H&R loads., but a pure -kitty cat in 32 S&W Long( tack driving accuracy at 850 fps.) I even tried the 32 S&W and 32 ACP just for giggles.
When the great rimfire drought hit a few years ago, I had a ready replacement in a reloadable caliber( the 32 S&W long) I just wish there had been a rifle in that caliber at the time, but I became a much better revolver shot instead. Since my 1st SSM(single six magnum) I have purchased another 6 1/2" SSM, three single sevens in 327 Federal, an SP101 in 327, an 8 eight shot Blackhawk in 327, a seven shot GP100 in 327, and a six shot Bisely in 32 H&R.
The 327 Federal is the next iteration of the 32 caliber, basically a 32 H&R with a lengthened and strengthened case, and SAAMI pressures of 45000 psi. instead of 22000psi. This newer round will accommodate the rest of the 32 family, making it the most versatile pistol round there is. It will chamber and fire five different types of ammo.
The only fly in the ointment has been the lag in factory ammos available. Making this more of a reloaders cartridge. The 32 family is a great cartridge for the reloader. Straight walled like its bigger brother the 357 family, using small pistol primers and much the same powders(much less though)
From the 32 S&W( rats in the barn) loads that duplicate 22 LR to the fire breathing 327 loads at 1600 fps in a revolver and 2000fps+ in a carbine. the 32 family is always with me.[IMG]jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8200005.JPG (76.9 KB, 53 views)
Old April 8, 2018, 04:24 PM   #2
ThomasT

Preach it brother. I love my 32s. And of all the 32 caliber guns I own the two Single Sixes are my favorites.
Old April 8, 2018, 04:50 PM   #3
2damnold4this

Nice! The .32 is a very versatile caliber.
Old April 8, 2018, 05:16 PM   #4
smee78

I had the same introduction to the 32 years ago and it also supplemented the 22 during the ammo shortage. I would love to add a 327 rifle from Henry and a 327 Ruger LCRX to the collection. For now I will just have to stick with my SP101 and Vaquero Single Six in 32 H&R.
Old April 8, 2018, 05:27 PM   #5
fourbore

I have been seeing a fair amount of 327 ammo in the shops. If you look online there is some eastern Europe import 32 s&W long that looks pretty good.

I would like to see purpose built, small proportioned for 32, pocket revolvers. Smaller than J frame 38's converted to 6 shot 32. Like the old days. They might not sell, but; that is what I feel is missing today. Well as long as Ruger continues to supply excellent medium size hand guns in 327, the 32 is alive and well. Without Ruger, we are done. Or its back to obscure handloader cartridge.

I used to see 32S&W ammo for use in the old top break revolvers. Not all top break, swing cylinders too. I guess those are now collector or novelty guns or something happened. Those were made in big numbers and yet I dont see the ammo any more.

It seems the 32 had a following with target shooters. I guess it was never as popular as the 38 and these days I never see either at the range.
Old April 8, 2018, 06:37 PM   #6
Real Gun

I like how the 32 turns an SP101 into a six shooter.
Old April 8, 2018, 10:01 PM   #7
3Crows

I could be in the market for a stainless Single Seven in this 327 Federal round. Looks like a perfect light hunting, critter vanquisher, fun shooter and maybe even self defense round.

Hmmm, I guess I will just have to add this one to the list of guns I want. Apparently a never ending list.
Old April 9, 2018, 12:21 PM   #8
Armybrat

Recently bought this new .327, and now am looking for a deal on a Single seven Birdshead (Model 8163)...

Old April 9, 2018, 05:45 PM   #9
tallball

I like 32's also. My 32 H&R Single Six is probably my favorite.
Old April 9, 2018, 11:58 PM   #10
Cosmodragoon

.32 S&W Long is fun for knocking tin cans off fence posts and does just fine on small critters.

.32 H&R Magnum is a step up to .38-special power levels. It keeps recoil light and gave an extra shot on the wheel. I've always liked this little round. I missed the boat on a pocket gun but in a 4" revolver, it's handy and fun. I think the problem was that it only matched .38 special power levels and people were used to weaker thirty-twos at the time. Whatever the case, a decent cartridge.

The release of the LCR 327 relieved me of my quest for a .32 H&R pocket gun. I know I can shoot them through it but honestly, I just use the "low recoil" 85-grain loads in .327 Federal. It feels like .38 +p in hand but blasts a jug like .357 magnum. It performs beautifully through longer barrels or in the Henry Rifles too.
Old April 12, 2018, 11:45 AM   #11
reteach

Speaking of ammo availability, I wrote to Speer to ask they make their .327 more available. The reply was that they aren't getting orders from distributors. Maybe we need to push the outlets we buy from to get more in stock.
Old April 14, 2018, 12:40 AM   #12
Cosmodragoon

If low availability helped to make it "a reloader's caliber", then that won't be helping. I always seem to find a few boxes at local gun stores. As I've said to fellow fans of the little super-magnum, go buy some ammo! We've seen a bunch of new guns come out in the last year or so, including a few rifles from Henry. So keep the ball rolling and put some factory loads through them.
Old April 14, 2018, 08:21 PM   #13
Armybrat

I bought 8 boxes of AE (100gr & 85gr) recently when they had $5/box cash rebates.
Am looking for some S&W .32 long now at a reasonable price.
Old April 14, 2018, 10:20 PM   #14
Cosmodragoon

^ All the backwards compatibility may be undermining sales a little too.
Old April 15, 2018, 01:14 AM   #15
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by reteach View Post
Speaking of ammo availability, I wrote to Speer to ask they make their .327 more available. The reply was that they aren't getting orders from distributors. Maybe we need to push the outlets we buy from to get more in stock.
I don't think that's going to change, the cartridge just isn't popular enough yet and idk if it ever will be. What we might be able to get out of Speer is for them to start making the 115 grain Gold Dot bullet they were making when the .327 first came out. At least then we can always buy the bullets and load them ourselves.

Unless it's .38/.357, .44 Mag, or .45 Colt, a centerfire revolver cartridge isn't going to get much support from ammo manufacturers. The market isn't large enough to make it worthwhile making more ammo for stuff like the .32, .41, .44 Special, etc. Maybe the .32 S&W Long could get more options, but there already are a fair number of factory offerings for that.

Federal and their American Eagle JSP ammo is about all I'd like in factory .327 anyway as that stuff will do great from the Henry rifles. I wouldn't mind if a heavier load like a 130 grain hard cast bullet were available though.
Old April 15, 2018, 02:52 AM   #16
Cosmodragoon

TruthTellers, I stocked up on the 115-grain Gold Dots before they dried up. I liked the idea of a 9mm-weight bullet moving at higher velocities and with better sectional density. They feel good in the SP101 but I still keep the LCR stocked with 85-grain Hydra-Shoks. Have you tried the 100-grain Gold Dots?

Yeah, the American Eagle JSP is hard to beat in the heavier .327 guns and presumably the rifles. It can be close to half the cost and is still the hottest regular factory load I've tried. I say "regular" because there is always Buffalo Bore and other specialty brands. Speaking of, it looks like they make your 130-grain Hardcast...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/82...tter-box-of-20
Old April 15, 2018, 03:47 PM   #17
eastbank

my three .32,s, are a S&W model 31 .32 long, a ruger small framed single action .32 H&R mag and a marlin cowboy 94 lever action in .32 H&R mag. I shoot the first two, but leave the rifle in its box.
Old April 18, 2018, 01:03 PM   #18
gunman5646

outdoorsmans caliber

One thing I would like to mention about the 32 caliber guns. Their versatility makes them the most useful for an outdoors type. Unless you're living in very large predator (two or four legged)country(over 250 lbs),they'll be more than adequate for any fisherman, backpacker, trapper, gold panner, or small game hunter. Usually smaller and lighter, they fit in most tackle boxes and back packs , or disappear with ease under a jacket. Since I have a CCW, and may fish in the local national Forest, I find an Sp101 under my fishing jacket doesn't scare the city visitors, and we can both enjoy the stream. (what they don't know won't hurt anyone).
Old April 18, 2018, 04:51 PM   #19
Jayhawkhuntclub

Love the single 7! I may have to pick one up someday. It amazes me they can get 7 rounds of 32 cal in a single six.
Old April 18, 2018, 07:21 PM   #20
rodfac

Ive got one of the Ruger Bird's Head .32's that's nicely accurate with the right loads...but I'll say this, it's harder to work up a great load with any .32 I've worked with than one of the bigger calibers...the bigger the bullet in caliber, for the most part, the easier it is to find the "Sweet" spot.

If you're casting your own, the smaller the bullet, the more effect minor casting flaws have on it's accuracy potential. That said, Hornady has always made superb .32 bullets. I'd start there if I were in the game...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.