The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 13, 2018, 03:46 PM   #1
Neal_G.

Ruger New Vaquero cylinder convertible question

Hey guys, I'm thinking about picking up a couple Ruger New Vaqueros to scratch my single action itch. If I have two different guns, one in .45 Colt, and the other in .45 ACP, are both of them 'convertible' to the other caliber by swapping the cylinders? Wasn't sure if only certain models could do that.
Old April 14, 2018, 09:17 AM   #2
robert1804

The cylinders might swap between those two Vaqueros. I'd guess one chance in three. Ruger S/A cylinders are fitted to each frame individually. Some machining is needed to set the headspace and barrel/cylinder gap. Plus, timing has to be set. It's easy enough for Ruger to fit two cylinders to the same frame to make a convertible model but not to make any cylinder to fit two frames.
Old April 14, 2018, 04:07 PM   #3
Bob Wright

I have two .45 Colt Blackhawks with .45 ACP cylinders. The cylinders will not interchange between the two guns. But on one, a 4 5/8" model, that cylinder will interchange between another Blackhawk .45 and an early Vaquero, neither of which was made as a convertible.

In my experience, if the cylinder fits another frame, it will work in it without further fitting.

Bob Wright
Old April 14, 2018, 04:26 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
In my experience, if the cylinder fits another frame, it will work in it without further fitting.
Work, probably, but how well??

The cylinder from gun A might drop into gun B and work flawlessly. Or, it might not. It might work well enough to fire, but shave lead badly, being very slightly out of time for the frame it was not made to fit.

if the stars line up, you're golden, but you can't count on the stars all lining up right. There are many different factors involved, which is why factories fit individual cylinders to individual frames in the first place.

You should not expect to be able to drop in "any old cylinder" of the right size and have it work properly. it might, but if it does, that is serendipity, be happy with it, but don't depend on it.
Old April 14, 2018, 10:13 PM   #5
Neal_G.

Duly noted then. Thanks everyone!
Old April 15, 2018, 06:59 AM   #6
Screwball

Ruger New Vaquero cylinder convertible question

There are a few gunsmiths that can fit conversion cylinders for you... just need to look around for guys that work on Rugers. Ruger will not do it for you, unless the gun you send in was a convertible from the factory.

I eventually want to get a Birdshead to match my 5.5” New Vaquero, but they are only offered in .45 Colt or ACP... not a convertible. So, I’ll get a .45 Colt, then have the conversion cylinder fitted (also will have it bead blasted to match, as I did the same to my New Vaquero).
Old April 15, 2018, 04:55 PM   #7
Neal_G.

Screwball, is there a way to just buy the convertible cylinder without buying a whole other gun? I'd love to have a spare .45ACP cylinder for the Birdshead I want in .45 Colt.

Just would feel weird to get the .45ACP version by itself. 45ACP does NOT say 'cowboy' to me, but it is cheaper!
Old April 16, 2018, 11:34 AM   #8
Bob Wright

This .45 was returned to Ruger for fitting a .45 ACP cylinder, Ruger not offering a convertible at the time I bought the gun:

The ACP cylinder for this gun will not fit into any other Ruger .45 I have.

This .45 was bought as a convertible:

Its .45 ACP cylinder fit, and worked very well with this .45 Blackhawk:

And has worked equally well with this Vaquero:

I have yet to try it in the .45 which is a former Bisley:

So now I've got a new avenue of exploration!

Bob Wright
Old April 16, 2018, 12:41 PM   #9
jackmoser65

It's not like Ruger is meticulously fitting cylinders to these guns. It's not a line bored Freedom Arms. The parts are in a big bin and they find one that fits. If it fits, that's what it gets. No reason why the educated end user can't do the same.