The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 30, 2018, 08:20 AM   #1
Hdonly

Surplus Ammo moving

Just got an email this morning from Surplus Ammo. They are moving from Washington state to Montana. No specific reason given. Hmmm?
Old May 30, 2018, 08:40 AM   #2
Ricklin

We have had some losses at the ballot box in WA the last couple of years, gun laws here have changed, and not for the better.
They are moving to a free state. One where every single transfer of a modern gun does not have to go through an FFL.
That'a the law here in WA now.
Old May 30, 2018, 03:40 PM   #3
Chainsaw.

Washington is becoming very unfriendly to bussiness and to anything gun.

Plus, well, its Montana so why not. Curious where.
Old May 30, 2018, 05:28 PM   #4
Scorch

Washington has got this whole tax thing figured out.
How much money did you make? We want it.

As a gun-related business owner in Washington state, I get it twice. Sales tax on WA sales and interstate purchases (use tax, they call it, since we can't charge sales tax across state lines). Cost me a bunch last year. I might move, too!
Old May 31, 2018, 10:16 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I doubt very much that the move is a case of "virtue signaling", I expect it is a result of "wallet signaling", meaning they're getting a BETTER deal on taxes, and other overhead in Montana than they are in Washington.

A LOT of people on the left coast have been doing their level best for years, trying to make Washington into California. They've gotten pretty close.

they're doing a good job irritating gun owners and driving out businesses (not just guns, either).
Old May 31, 2018, 10:27 AM   #6
Doyle

Scorch, Use Tax is common in almost every jurisdiction that imposes an in-state stales tax. Some states are just more "efficient" in collecting it than others. In most states, it is "self assessed" with little way for the state to enforce it on small purchases (but business purchasers get heavily assessed via compliance audits).
Old May 31, 2018, 02:03 PM   #7
Chainsaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post

A LOT of people on the left coast have been doing their level best for years, trying to make Washington into California. They've gotten pretty close.
Bingo. See Seattle's absolutely nutty city council for an example.
Old May 31, 2018, 03:16 PM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
Sales tax on WA sales and interstate purchases (use tax, they call it,
Yep, in any state that has a sales tax, there is a use tax. When I lived in NV the utility company paid a use tax for things coming in from out of state. The use tax is equal to the sales tax.

Quote:
Cost me a bunch last year. I might move, too!
Don't know why it "cost you a bunch" as no business pays taxes; they merely collect them and pass them along..........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 31, 2018, 03:38 PM   #9
Paul B.

"Yep, in any state that has a sales tax, there is a use tax. When I lived in NV the utility company paid a use tax for things coming in from out of state. The use tax is equal to the sales tax."

I hear you. I lived in Winnemucca for almost ten years working for the Weather Bureau. In my second year we bought an all electric home. No choice as no natural gas line anywhere near the location and propane not allowed due to zoning. Electricity came from PG&E in California sold to Sierra Pacific for full price in Reno and total full price from the local company, damed if I can remember the name. Might have been Cal-Pac but it escapes me at this point in time. Locals and ranchers were allowed to buy gas from the local bulk plant while us outsiders had to go to the local gas stations and get ripped off with a smile and fine howdy do. They do get you in those small towns.
Thing is I loved it there but a job transfer put me where I am today. Still good but since 1979 when I came here to Tucson things were different. Now lots of traffic even during mid day. Things keep changing and the they ain't for the better.
With so many people out of work, it's hard to get a bench at the range unless you wait till mid afternoon when it 105* in the shade.
Paul B.
Old May 31, 2018, 03:54 PM   #10
FITASC

SPPCo is who I worked for. Lived in Winnemucca building the plant at Valmy for a bit. We paid use taxes on EVERYTHING, but then we had everyone looking at our books
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa