The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 21, 2001, 08:49 AM   #1
kubiast

I am looking for a good low cost trap shotgun for me and my wife to start trap shooting. Under $300.00.

Thanks
Terrance
Old March 21, 2001, 10:06 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Low cost and Trap rarely show up in the same sentence, Terrance(G)...

Unless you and your wife are the same size and have the same shooting style, you need two shotguns,probably. I'd get hers first, speaking from a vantage point of 24 years of marriage.

I suggest trying out various shotguns, and going with what she likes for that first gun.

I'm using a trap model 870, but plenty of field guns get used for this. The requirements are...

Durability. A trap gun gets more use in a month than some hunting shotguns get in a year. Longevity is paramount.

Weight. A trap gun needs a bit of weight to smooth the swing and cut the felt recoil.Mine runs about 8 lbs, and many run heavier.

For the budget, a pump gun like the 870 is darn near the only choice. Lots of records have been held with the 870, and more will be made.

You might squeeze a field grade 1100 Remington into that budget, but that's a bit doubtful.

Accessories needed will include eye and ear protection, a good recoil pad, and a vest is a good idea. Learning to reload your empties is also good. You probably won't save any money, just get to shoot a bit more.

HTH...
Fit, good trapshooters get really finicky about the gun fitting properly. Ideally, you want one that is stocked and set up to put most of the pattern above the point of aim, tho flat shooting guns are used by some. If it hits high, you can "float" the bird above the bbl and see it better.

Choke. On the tight side is a good place to be, Modified will work fine for 16 yard stuff, and as you move back for handicap, then either full or extra full does the trick. Obviously, a tubed gun is more versatile here.I'm using a Full choke, however, on the premise that it'll make me hold tighter. I'm swapping a few unbroken birds now for a steeper learning curve, but this is a personal choice.

Old March 21, 2001, 12:03 PM   #3
Steve B

I`ve shot trap with my $50 single shot 12 gauge Topper. Shot a twenty. You don`t have to pay a ton to have a blast shooting trap.

Having said that, $300 will get you a decent used auto, or a very nice used pump. Old single shot, break action guns can be picked up fairly cheaply, depending on what it is.

Remember, you only need one shot for trap! There`s always used stuff to get you started out on the cheap.
Old March 21, 2001, 07:51 PM   #4
kubiast

Thanks for all the info. Please kept it coming. How about a MOSSBERG?
Old March 22, 2001, 06:15 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

This will tee off some Mossy owners, but I see few of them on the range, and none with the good shots. While they work fine for field guns, I doubt they can hold up to the constant pounding required for trap.

Don't see Winchesters much either, except for the Model 12 and even an occasional 97.

A thought, some public ranges have rental shotguns. A few tryouts might give you a better idea of what works for you and the wife, and they may have very used ones for sale.

Also check the bulletin boards at the range, trap shooters are always changing guns, and you may pick up a bargain. I'd be wary of off brands, and very used guns, especially O/Us.
Old March 22, 2001, 06:08 PM   #6
PJR

Buy a good used Remington 870 or a new Remington 870 Express. They should fall within your price guideline.

I've played with Mossbergs but put my money down for Remington 870s -- several times.
Old March 22, 2001, 07:29 PM   #7
Kharn

Remington 870 Express, 12 or 20 gauge (might have to wait a week for a 20 gauge), 28" or 26" barrel, with wood furniture and interchangable choke are around $250 at your local Walmart.

Kharn
Old March 23, 2001, 06:22 AM   #8
Steve B

My son shoots trap, skeet and spoting clays with a Mossberg 500. It takes the pounding and he`s a great shot. He also has a 870 Wingmaster that he`s turned into a tactical shotgun. You pay your money and take your choice. (It ain`t the gun, it`s the shooter!)