The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 14, 2015, 12:55 PM   #1
Roadkill2228

Vortex scopes

What can you tell me about them? I like the lower price tag compared to leupold and such...what's the warranty situation? Do they back up their product like leupold does? An of course, how good are they? Or are they a bit cheaper for a reason? They seem like a nice step up from the scopes on my "package rifles" at present.
Old January 14, 2015, 01:14 PM   #2
CowTowner

Good glass. I have 3 and love them. 2 replaced Nikon Buckmasters.
Warranty info is here: http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty
Lifetime no matter if you bought the scope new or used. They warranty the scope, not the owner.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 14, 2015, 01:39 PM   #3
Roadkill2228

Thanks cowtowner! I've heard some not so great things about Nikon scopes...good to know. So you'd say vortex is better then?
Old January 14, 2015, 01:45 PM   #4
Jay24bal

Yes, I would say they are better tham Nikon in my opinion (assuming you are comparing apples to apples and not comparing the low-end of eithers offering to the high end of the other).

For the money, they are the best value in optics in my opinion. I own a Crossfire II, 2 Diamondbacks, a Viper and a Strikefire from them, and not a single issue among them. Before buying the first couple, I went to store that sells a lot of Vortex around me and compared them side-by-side to Leupolds, Nikons, and Bushnells. The Vortex was clearer than the Nikons and Bushnells, and on par with the Leupolds, for 20-30% less.

And the lifetime warranty is the same as from Leupold, granted I cannot comment on it since none of mine have broken :-)

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 14, 2015, 02:07 PM   #5
CowTowner

Quote:
So you'd say vortex is better then?
In my experience, yes. Vortex is the better choice.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 14, 2015, 03:00 PM   #6
Sharkbite

I run a bunch of Vortex stuff.

6-24 on my FN Precision rifle
6.5-20 on my 5.56 SPR
1-4 on one of my 300blk SBR's
Strikefire on a 9mm AR

Im sold on the brand. You can get better optics, but you will pay ALOT more before you see any improvement.

I also own some Luepolds and 1 Nightforce. I would recommend Vortex all day/everyday unless you needed something really special and wanted to pony up $2000 or more.

Plus the no BS warranty is good peace of mind
Old January 14, 2015, 06:28 PM   #7
mxsailor803

I've got a Crossfire 2 and will buy another if I need a scope. I accidently broke it and called up Vortex. They said to send it to them. I did and received a brand new Crossfire 2 in 2 weeks with no questions asked on how it broke, caliber of rifle or anything. Very good company.
Old January 14, 2015, 08:24 PM   #8
baddarryl

I have a set of Diamondback 8x42 binoculars and would recommend them.
Old January 14, 2015, 10:00 PM   #9
tobnpr

Own four of them.

Quote:
Do they back up their product like leupold does?
Better.

"VIP" lifetime warranty. Just send it in- whomever owns the scope, no original purchaser stuff, no receipt...

Very fast turnaround time. Their CS is second to none.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old January 14, 2015, 10:19 PM   #10
DPI7800

The warranty is definitely good to go, but I do question when I know so many people that have had to use it, unlike Nightforce or USO. For me I probably won't owne another unless it is the razor line (the next stup up from my PST), even that is a maybe. I don't care for the clarity of the glass or the detent on the elevation or windage (too loose for my liking). I'll stick to my Nightforce NXS or the Leupold Mark 6 or 8 or USO. I ll go an extra 12 months or more without glass on a rifle to save for the better glass.
Old January 14, 2015, 11:07 PM   #11
Grundy53

I have a Viper and love it.
Old January 15, 2015, 09:35 PM   #12
DPI7800

I am not saying it is junk just it does not meet my standards or expectations. If one of my people come in and ask me about glass that have no experiance with high quality glass or are unsure of there commitment I recomend the PST as a starter. But for me that is all it is, a entry level scope.
Old January 16, 2015, 11:07 AM   #13
snolden

Nikon Prostaff glass is better quality than Vortex Viper glass, but not by much. That said, I can get a 30mm tube, turrets, and a better windage reticle in the viper line cheaper than I can get those in Nikon's products.

The 30mm tube is the minimum acceptable criteria for me as it helps with field of view. Your criteria may differ.

I have 3 vipers and 2 prostaffs. Because of the FOV issue the prostaffs have been moved to .22LR's.

What have I based my decision on?
Viper 3-9x40 (1" tube)
Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ MOA
Viper HS LR 4-16x50
(2) Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC
Nikon Monarch 7 line is what I really want but I can't justify the price based on my needs. Monarch 5 and 7's are easily the equal to Leupold VX-III in glass quality and are at the same price point.
Old January 16, 2015, 02:11 PM   #14
AllenJ

I agree with DPI7800, the Viper PST series is a good entry level scope for competition tactical rifles. I put one on my Savage Pre Car and it is about the same as my 90's model VariX-III clarity wise. Good scope and I like it but it is a distant second in clarity to my Swarovski Z5. Vortex products are the rage right now and for good reason, their warranty is second to none and their products are a great value for the price.
Old January 16, 2015, 02:53 PM   #15
603Country

I've got a PST in 4-16 and like it a lot. For less than $1k, nobody else will give you all the features that Vortex offers. I've used mine for the last year, shooting coyotes, pigs, and deer and I have no complaints - no big ones anyway. I think the Leupold VX3 glass is better, but the Vortex Viper glass is good enough. Would I prefer a top of the line Leupold with all the same features. Yes, I would, but it's a good bit more money and it won't do anything for me that the Vortex won't do. I have Leupold scopes in boxes, but I have no need to put one on my 260 in place of the Vortex.

One minor issues, that really is minor, is that the illuminated reticle is too bright to suit me even at the lowest setting. My present idea of ideal on a lit reticle would be the Leupold TMR reticle with an illuminated dot in the middle. That would suit me just fine.
Old January 17, 2015, 08:14 PM   #16
ronl

Vortex scopes are an excellent value. When mounting a scope on my .308, I asked two instructors about what scope to buy. I was given two names, Vortex and Nightforce, as they were the only scopes that had been through their courses that had never failed. It was down to the NXS Zero stop 5.5-22 and the PST 6-24x50 FFP. The glass on the Nightforce was a little better, but I ended up going with the Vortex because I just couldn't see that the NF was worth the extra $700 or so. I am totally satisfied with the PST. Best of all, the warranty is bulletproof, as they stand behind their product.