The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Today is my lucky day

Something told me this morning that it would be a good time to go to the range and shoot around. So, I went to the local range, which also is a gun shop that sells re-loading supplies. They had just gotten in a shipment from Alliant of Bullseye, Unique and some other Alliant powders. They hadn't even un-boxed it yet. I bought 2 1lb bottles of Bullseye for 24.99 each.

I'm glad I listened to my instincts today.
Old June 30, 2014, 02:02 PM   #2
Clark

This is like the old Soviet Union with people waiting in line to buy toilet paper.
Cellulose shortage.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 30, 2014, 03:03 PM   #3
A400 Fan

Sure wish we would see powder in 8# jugs instead of the little 1# cans
Old June 30, 2014, 06:02 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Bullseye

In the last couple weeks, I've heard reports of people finding Bullseye.

Sure wish some would make it to my LGS. I'm completely out of Bullseye; but have enough match ammo loaded with it to shoot the whole summer season. I still have about 3 Lbs total of other fast stuff (AA2, W231), but I've put a moratorium on loading until I get more.

This time last year, I was turning down B'eye and AA2, thinking I had plenty, and to let others have at it. Shoulda bought more, it seems. This summer's powder situation is much worse than last. And the last time I saw W231 - my all-time favorite - was November '12.
Old June 30, 2014, 06:11 PM   #5
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S View Post
In the last couple weeks, I've heard reports of people finding Bullseye.

Sure wish some would make it to my LGS. I'm completely out of Bullseye; but have enough match ammo loaded with it to shoot the whole summer season. I still have about 3 Lbs total of other fast stuff (AA2, W231), but I've put a moratorium on loading until I get more.

This time last year, I was turning down B'eye and AA2, thinking I had plenty, and to let others have at it. Shoulda bought more, it seems. This summer's powder situation is much worse than last. And the last time I saw W231 - my all-time favorite - was November '12.

Maybe things are getting better. I was a able to buy a pound of Winchester AutoComp two weeks ago. This morning, Midsouth had some. Perhaps, W231 will start showing up...
Old June 30, 2014, 06:25 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Sure wish we would see powder in 8# jugs instead of the little 1# cans
Right now, I'll take any quantity of B'eye, AA2, or W231 I can get.

A pound of B'eye yields me about 2400 match grade wadcutters; and if I were to find even a pound, I'd be walking out of the my LGS with a big ol' smile on my face.

I thought things were getting better when Unique and Power Pistol showed up for a few weeks there about 2 months ago. But nothing since.