The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2014, 01:24 AM   #1
codefour

What are the softer primers..?

I know CCI's are considered the hardest primers. I have a SRH in 454 Casull. It won't ignite CCI SR Magnum primers regularly and I'm getting light primer strikes.

What brand primer has a softer cup.? I always use CCI. So I'm gonna try a new primer.

This has been a problem for a while now. I was going to file the hammer. I have not fired the revolver for a while. I'd like to take it pig hunting soon.
Old January 13, 2014, 01:33 AM   #2
chris in va

Federal is quite soft if you are having ignition problems.
Old January 13, 2014, 01:41 AM   #3
2ndtimer

I too, have heard that Federal has the softest primer cups. Recall years ago reading that some slicked up PPC revolvers were only reliable using the Federal standard primers. I would also consider trying Remington primers since it would seem that the unplated primers might be softer than the nickel plated primers of other manufacturers.
Old January 13, 2014, 02:49 AM   #4
codefour

Thank you for the replies.. I am going to try and hunt those down to use. Hopefully they will cure my ignition problems..

Any other suggestions would be helpful.
Old January 13, 2014, 02:58 AM   #5
Sevens

If your hunting or shooting with this Redhawk is typically in a single action fashion, I would simply buy the heaviest hammer spring that Wolff stocks for a Redhawk.

Switching primers to something with a softer cup certainly may work for you, but the .454 Casull just isn't an "average" handgun round.

The benefit to a harder cup primer is that it does a fine job in containing the pressure of a high horsepower load. .454 Casull is the textbook definition of "high horsepower load."

So if it was me, I'd be trying to hit a hard cup primer, well, harder rather than trying to find a softer-cup primer in .454 Casull.
Old January 13, 2014, 10:30 AM   #6
serf 'rett

Federal has a reputation for being softer; however, Sevens has a good recommendation.
Old January 13, 2014, 01:06 PM   #7
mikld

A stock Ruger should fire any type of primer. If the gun is not modified, and primers are seated correctly, there should be no problems. If your primers are seated all the way to the bottom of the pocket and you get "light primer strikes", have your gun checked...

Have you tried the offending rounds a second time? That would indicate "high" primers.
Old January 13, 2014, 01:10 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

if the Federals don't solve things

I note Bowen offers an extended firing pin for Redhawks.......
Old January 13, 2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Slamfire

Quote:
Have you tried the offending rounds a second time? That would indicate "high" primers.
Good point. In the Shooting Times article: Mysteries And Misconceptions Of The All-Important Primer http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01...motaip_200909/ CCI states the most common reason for misfires is high primers. The anvil has to be firmly seated and the primer cake pushed onto the anvil. If the anvil is dangling in the air the primer will misfire.

Do you seat your primers by hand?

I owned a Redhawk and with factory springs I had reliable ignition, but when I changed the springs out to get a lighter trigger pull, I got lots of misfires double action. While the Redhawk is a clever design it is very sensitive to mainspring strength.
Old January 13, 2014, 05:21 PM   #10
BuckRub

Think the same as Mikld in post # 7
Old January 13, 2014, 05:26 PM   #11
WESHOOT2

define "long enough"

Redhawks have a known issue with firing pin striking.
Hence the Bowen pin.....
Old January 13, 2014, 08:34 PM   #12
codefour

I seated the primers all the way. I do not believe I had amy high primers. I load all of my 454 and 460 Mag loads on a single stage for a reason.

I had this problem with the stock hammer springs which are 14 lb springs. I ordered a Wolff 12 lb (most powerful Wolff makes) and still have the problem.

I also like to use CCI primers in the large, high pressure magnum revolvers. I found some Federal primers in the cabinet I bought years ago. I will give them a whirl and look for pressure signs.

Thank you all for the replies. This forum is awesome!