The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2013, 10:07 AM   #1
mnoirot64

Powder Measuring Systems

Good Sunday morning to everyone!

Since I am having a great deal of difficulty using the the Hornady case activated powder drop with IMR 800-X powder, I have decided to buy a powder measuring system to more accurately measure my charges. I am sure some of you have experience with the systems I'm considering: Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge and the Lyman GEN 5 or GEN 6 systems. I want to be able to measure loads for .38 special, .357 magnum, .44 magnum, .45 ACP, .270 WIN, .308 and .300 Win Mag. Which system do you recommend and why?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Michael Noirot
Clarksville, Tennessee
Old October 6, 2013, 10:43 AM   #2
myfriendis410

"Measuring" powder for pistol, shotgun and rifle can be done effectively using very different equipment. For the first two that typically use flake or ball powders, a powder measure with a check scale can do a wonderful job quickly. I have two Dillons that generally dispense flake powders to +-.1 grains. Plenty good enough for pistol or shotgun. If you are measuring stick powders you may want to consider using a scale to obtain precise powder charges. There are digital dispensing scales like the Lyman and RCBS that do a good job of this fairly quickly. More expensive competition measures can deliver good results with stick propellents, but the operative word is "expensive".

Pistol and shotgun shells can be constructed very quickly using progressive presses and flake/ball powders but rifle cartridges simply sit in a different category (as a general rule).
Old October 6, 2013, 11:00 AM   #3
steve4102

I have the Lyman 1200 and I highly recommend it. That said, I use it for rifle loading not pistol loading. For pistol I always drop the charge.

800-X is well known to meter like Corn Flakes no matter what powder drop used.

Me, If I cannot drop a pistol powder charge with acceptable accuracy, I switch to a different powder. No way I'm going to buy a $250-$300 unit just so I can continue to fight with a powder like 800-X.

Carry On.
Old October 6, 2013, 11:21 AM   #4
mnoirot64

Thank you for your input.

Steve: Will a powder measuring system work with 800-X accurately and in loads small enough for pistol cartridges 5 - 10 grains?
Old October 6, 2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Big flakes like 800X and Unique are the most problematic powders to dispense volumetrically. You might consider something less difficult for standard measures, like Hodgdon Universal, which has similar performance but whose much smaller grains meter pretty well in a number of measures. In the meanwhile, if you don't feel you can meter 800X satisfactorily, then just weigh the charges of it until it is gone and you can switch to Universal or some other choice, depending on your application.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 6, 2013, 07:14 PM   #6
mjes92

The Hornady Lock-N-Load will require two different cylinders to cover the calibers you want to load. It comes with the larger charge range cylinder designed for rifle cartridges. The smaller cylinder for pistol rounds works much better for low density rounds like .38 spl.

I works very well but plan on purchasing another cylinder.
NRA - Life Member
Old October 8, 2013, 04:31 PM   #7
mnoirot64

Powder Measuring Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjes92 View Post
The Hornady Lock-N-Load will require two different cylinders to cover the calibers you want to load. It comes with the larger charge range cylinder designed for rifle cartridges. The smaller cylinder for pistol rounds works much better for low density rounds like .38 spl.

I works very well but plan on purchasing another cylinder.
I made the purchase yesterday from Midsouth Shooters. Works beautiful with IMR 800-X. While it's going to be slower loading while utilizing the Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge, it will be worth it to have more accurate, consistent hand loads.
Old October 8, 2013, 05:13 PM   #8
steve4102

These powder dispenser are great, but they can be problematic at times. Certain outside forces can cause them to get squirrely (technical term). Loud music, air movement and drafts from open doorways, windows, air conditioners and heat ducts. Some say cell phones and wireless internet can affect them as well, I personally have not had any issues with other electronic devices.

If it starts to act squirrely look around the room for some type of interference before blaming the unit itself.
Old October 8, 2013, 06:57 PM   #9
KeifB

Sending or receiving a text really trips my Lyman electronic dispenser... For a moment only, but its undeniable.
Old October 14, 2013, 03:35 AM   #10
45long

My Preference

When not using a Progressive press. Your all going to laugh , but I use those cheap Lee powder drops..They have a flimsy stand so they vibrate a little each time you cycle them so you don't need a knocker. I have a Lyman (With the little knocker attached)that I never use and a RCBS that I rarely use. I measure all my settings with the back of a vernier caliper and record them so I can dial up the load anytime I want to go back to it. I love these drops ,they're easy to clean when they get gummed up and they're like 15 bucks..Woo Hoo.

For that price you can get several and leave em set for your favorite loads.

I also use the vernier thing on my crimping dies to set and record each different bullet I use..
Old October 15, 2013, 08:18 PM   #11
bt380

Whatever powder measure you decide, be sure to get a baffle for it and look into the various methods to eliminate static electricity. Before you buy your measure, email their tech support and ask them how well their measure works w/ "corn flakes."