The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 13, 2013, 10:22 AM   #1
BrittB

Light barrel rust.

I was looking at a .50 cal BP rifle the other day, I don't recall the manufacturer, and noticed it had light rust forming in the barrel. How bad it was down inside I couldn't tell but it didn't look too bad. Is this a huge deal if it's the same in the rest of the barrel or is it a clean up and good to go kind of deal. I think a Hops/wire brush session may clean it up was the impression I got but I didn't have a bore light at the time.
Old April 13, 2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Pahoo

Shooting in the dark !!!

Quote:
I was looking at a .50 cal BP rifle the other day, I don't recall the manufacturer, and noticed it had light rust forming in the barrel.
Sounds to me like it's not yours and you might be looking to buy. From the little I can read into this post, sounds like it might clean up fairly well or at least, to your satisfaction. You really need to look inside the bore and if a bore light is not available, buy a Bobber light, non-red and check it out. If allowed, you could run a "lubed" patch down the bore and read your patch. ..

Make sure it's unloaded and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 13, 2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Craig010

I agree with Pahoo. Give it a good inspection but as long as you're only looking at lite surface rust, I wouldn't be too concerned. Where I live we have a lot of homes that still have swamp coolers and I get rifles into the shop all the time with a lite coat of surface rust. Card it off with 4X steel wool and a lite coat of oil and they're fine.
Old April 13, 2013, 01:41 PM   #4
BrittB

I need to go take another look at it with the proper tools. Maybe I should see if they have a usable return policy too!
Old April 13, 2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Here is a thought

If you go back and take a second look, you will almost certainly be in a position in which it would be right to make an offer as long as you don't find damage which is a show stopper.

My suggestion is to go to Gunbroker.com and check auctions for similar rifles. Look for "buy it now" auctions. This way, you will have an idea what the value is. Keep delivery costs in mind.
Old April 13, 2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Pahoo

What is it ???

BrittB
Sure wish you could give us a better idea of what you are looking at. Both in-lines and SideLocks, have their own weak areas. The only thing in common, is the condtions of the bore. This way, we could give you a better idea of what areas to look at. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 14, 2013, 09:22 AM   #7
BrittB

It was a side lock and now it's gone. Problem solved!
Old April 15, 2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Wild Bill Bucks

Light barrel rust can be easily removed with the use of a swab of vinegar. Swab the barrel and let it sit for a minute, then do it again, and let it sit, then swab with a clean patch with water on it, then follow with a dry patch, then oil.

If side-lock, take out the nipple, and wipe vinegar inside with a pipe cleaner and repeat above steps. If the barrel has light rust, there is a high probability of rust in the nipple also.

Be sure and apply a layer of oil after this kind of cleaning as vinegar will remove almost all oil preservative from steel. When we make deer stands out of tubing used for tail pipes, the steel is coated with a very heavy covering of a greasy substance for preserving it, and is almost impossible to get off if you want to paint the pipe. When I soak the pipe in vinegar, the paint almost sucks into the metal so deep that you can't scrape it off when it dries.
Old April 16, 2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Noz

Be careful with the vinegar. It also removes bluing quite well.
Old April 20, 2013, 07:40 AM   #10
101combatvet

I have purchased two firearms with light rust in the barrel. I was able to remove it running a patch with a light amount of JP Bore Cleaner a few times through the barrel. Bore brush it with a good solvent and let it soak in. Run a few patches until it is clean... if not repeat. Patch it with oil... let it soak in... a few patches until dry.
Old April 20, 2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Pahoo

To clean and protect.

Especially when working with M/L's you run into a lot of rust, in varying degrees. The first stage, I calll "Dust" which you probably won't see but will wipe off. My wife often shows me a dust cloth and says; Look at the dust !!
From there, as it starts to take root, it goes through more stages and we have all seen the end results. ....

There are are many products out there and one of the best that I have found, is a product called StrongArm. and not only will it remove rooted rust and still protect the blueing/wood but it will coat the surface and provde future protection. I routinely use it on all my firearms, especially the long storage ones.

Be Safe !!!