The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 19, 2012, 12:29 PM   #26
otasan

I have invented

a simple safety device that renders any Glock incapable of firing, but can be removed in less than half a second, returning the Glock to full function. If anyone is interested, email me at [email protected].
Old May 19, 2012, 01:01 PM   #27
graysmoke

My opinion the Glock is the finest hand gun made. While having a round in the chamber, A few times, I have seen them accidently dropped on pavement, and never discharged. Squeeze the trigger....BANG!
Old May 19, 2012, 01:28 PM   #28
jmr40

Quote:
I'm one of the few that would like to see a 1911 type safety on a Glock.
Quote:
Get a Ruger SR series or an M&P.
Tried them. They got the safety, but they ain't a Glock.
Old May 19, 2012, 01:30 PM   #29
power5

Finger or any other object inside the trigger guard is the only thing that can make a Glock fire. Some people like to make it sound like ONLY a finger can pull a trigger on a Glock. Not saying they are not safe, but acting like they are just as safe as a gun with a safety is ludicrous.
Old May 19, 2012, 01:46 PM   #30
MLeake

Power5, I wouldn't say "ludicrous."

I know guys (including myself) who have found out through experience that sometimes a 1911 safety can get worked off safe, over the course of a day's carry, if the holster isn't moulded just right. Sure, the gun had a safety, but it wasn't applied for a good portion of the day, and the trigger pull was lighter and shorter than that of most Glocks.

Similarly, a TFL poster once wrote that he forgot to de-cock his P220 prior to holstering. Later that day, he noticed, and after a moment of kicking himself he said he thought he had effectively been carrying a Glock...

I have a Walther PPS IWB right now, and I don't feel at all unsafe. Then again, it's in a fitted holster, and I trust my training.

I can go either way on safeties. They have advantages, but they also have disadvantages.

I will say that my guns that have safeties all have frame mounted, 1911 type safeties. My DA/SA guns have decockers; I don't like slide mounted safeties. (It's all about muscle memory.) And a few of my guns don't have external safeties (M&P, PPQ, PPS).
Old May 19, 2012, 01:58 PM   #31
Gunnut17

I think the relatively light trigger pull is justified by the Glock safe action, especially the thing that keeps the trigger from moving without the middle part depressed.
Old May 19, 2012, 02:26 PM   #32
hogwiley

Light short trigger + no safety= greater increase of accidental discharge.

This isnt rocket science people.
Old May 19, 2012, 03:55 PM   #33
qqq1

I carry my S&W Sigma chambered all the time and I've never had a worry that it might just "go off". I carry it in a blackhawk serpa so nothing is going to be grabbing the trigger until I take it out. I honestly think no safety is safer because you know it's always in a ready to fire position. With a safety you might have a slip in judgement and play around with it only to find out you hadn't put the safety on or it slipped off.
Old May 20, 2012, 01:22 AM   #34
10mm4ever

The Glock took off in LE because transitioning from the revolver to a striker fired auto with no manual safety was less time consuming.
Old May 20, 2012, 03:43 AM   #35
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Light short trigger + no safety= greater increase of accidental discharge.
I don't see that the Glock design makes an accidental discharge more likely.

Negligent yes, perhaps, but not accidental...
Old May 20, 2012, 08:48 AM   #36
donato

I think one reason Glockites don't like external safeties is that by owning/carrying a Glock, it makes them feel superior about being safer than the rest of us. You always hear (in a Glock argument) statements like: safety is between my ears, and won't go off unless there is a booger hook on the trigger, etc.

One other observation: Glockites don't seem to be as trainable as non-Glockites because in a Glock argument, they always bring up about how hard it is to learn/train to be able to think about and remove the safety in a stressful situation. Really, how long does it really take to learn this simple move??

Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I would have no problems carrying a Glock with one in the chamber. I see only two situations where a Glock would bother me some: a. Re-holstering and b. when the darn thing was ejecting casings into the middle of my face/forehead.

Last edited by donato; May 20, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:54 AM   #37
amd6547

I love my Glocks, but I don't like.....
...all the nonsense and Glock hate I see in Internet forums.
The funniest threads are those that begin "I always hated Glocks..then is shot my friends and have to have one..."
I myself had given up on Glocks ten years ago after owning a G23 for a year...it just didn't shoot well for me.
A year or two ago, I was looking for a compact 1911. Read a lot of reviews mentioning problems with them, and broadened my search to other compact 45's.
Found out about the G30. Simultaneously, I found one for sale near me for a bargain price...included holster, spare mags, and night sights.
Bought it to try out, figuring I could resell it at a profit if I didn't like it.
At the range, I found the G30 to be incredibly accurate, reliable with anything I loaded it with, and soft shooting. I actually shot the G30 as well or better than a full sized semi custom 1911.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:03 PM   #38
ET.

I carry a Glock 27 daily. I bought an M&P 40 Pro, but it doesn't have an external safety either. S&W offers both and lets the consumer decide which they want. Glock says "here it is with no external safety ...take it or leave it". I own three Glocks and love them (20, 21sf, 27). I tend to stick with guns that don't have an external safety for carry purposes since that is what I was trained on. For target, range & plinking I don't have a perference, but when it comes to defending my family, I don't want to find myself wondering if the gun I am aiming at a doped up killer has a safety on it that needs to be deactivated.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:11 PM   #39
dajowi

You can have your cake and eat it too. If you like Glocks but don't the fact they don't have a manual safety.

Alex Hamilton over at Ten Ring Precision installs a manual safety on Glocks. The safety does not invalidate the Glock warranty and works as advertised.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:38 PM   #40
Single Six

I personally prefer manual safeties, and I wish that Glock offered them as an option. Now, I keep seeing where some of you are saying that those of us who prefer a manual safety should just buy an M&P. Not to derail the thread here, but are you guys saying that the M&P is as good as the Glock? No, that's not rhetorical...I really want to know what you guys think. Is the M&P as tough, reliable, and as long-lasting as the Glock?
Old May 20, 2012, 12:51 PM   #41
Kevin_d77

Springfield XD/XDM's have the additional safeties and are fantastic shooting guns and are very reliable.
Old May 20, 2012, 07:10 PM   #42
kalstrand

Quote:
If you cannot take a safety off when deplying a gun, you should either
If you have a DA/SA like many of guns with an external safety as soon as you flip that safety lever on the way out of the holster you have a handgun with no safety engaged and a much shorter and lighter trigger pull than a glock.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:15 AM   #43
ScotchMan

Quote:
Is the M&P as tough, reliable, and as long-lasting as the Glock?
Yes.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old May 21, 2012, 10:19 AM   #44
loose_holster_dan

i like glocks, but i can afford better, so i don't bother with them.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old May 21, 2012, 11:48 AM   #45
dgludwig

Quote:
If you have a DA/SA like many of guns with an external safety as soon as you flip that safety lever on the way out of the holster you have a handgun with no safety engaged and a much shorter and lighter trigger pull than a glock.
You've got it backwards: When the safety is disengaged on a typical da/sa semi-auto, the trigger pull will be in the double-action mode and will be much longer and heavier than the Glock is.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:10 PM   #46
vaquero aleman

10MM Forever stated the key point here. The Glock was not only a submittal for replacement of the, then current, military handguns. But it was also made to replace the revolver, which was the most typically issued LE weapon. It fires, respectfully, in the same manner as a revolver. Therefore it was the most comfortable pistol available for replacement for an LEO that was used to a revolver. And, except for a very few makes(Heritage Arms), the revolver does not have an external safety. IMO the Glock signifies the acceptance of a more modern approach to the design of a handgun.

Last edited by vaquero aleman; May 21, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:48 PM   #47
donato

Quote:
loose holster dan: i like glocks, but i can afford better, so i don't bother with them.
Old May 21, 2012, 05:04 PM   #48
kalstrand

Quote:
You've got it backwards: When the safety is disengaged on a typical da/sa semi-auto, the trigger pull will be in the double-action mode and will be much longer and heavier than the Glock is.
Ok if its a single action like a 1911 then you have a shorter lighter trigger pull than a glock.

If I'm carrying a DA/SA with a manual safety it will be in condition 1 so my first shot would be SA anyway so I didn't think about someone carrying a DA/SA with the safety engaged and the double action trigger pull. It doesn't make sense for both to me personally.
Old May 21, 2012, 05:08 PM   #49
MLeake

kalstrand, I don't think you understand how a DA/SA works. A look-up might be in order.
Old May 21, 2012, 05:54 PM   #50
KevK.

My only issue with Glocks..

My only issue with Glocks is big calibers.

I love the Glock in 9mm and 40 cal. I have an issue with .45 or 10mm. Shooting all day with those gets a little rough on my hand. Maybe it's too light to soak up recoil. It's more of a comfort for me than anything. I prefer a 1911 style for .45's.

If it feels good to you, gives you good point of natural aim, go for it. I have no problem wearing a Glock everyday.