The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 26, 2011, 12:20 AM   #1
newbie101

Buying my first gun on a budget...

I can allot $150 give or take to buying a gun. I've been reading up a bit and it seems that Hi-Point is very looked down upon in the firearms community. Is it possible to get something cheap, reliable and fairly accurate? I've never fired a handgun, only rifles so my knowledge is close to nil.
Old June 26, 2011, 12:26 AM   #2
Shadi Khalil

Hi point gets a bad rap because it's big, ugly, heavy and made of low quality materials. However, they work. if it's going to be a truck gun or something of that nature I say go for it. If it's for carry then you need to start saving.
Old June 26, 2011, 01:18 AM   #3
AustinTX

Hi-Points are not great guns by any means, but they're much better than the dangerous (to the shooter) Bryco/Lorcin/Raven/Jennings/Jimenez junk with which they're typically grouped in internet discussion. Still, reliability can be an issue, especially with hollow-point ammo.

Can you save up another $75-100? There are significantly better guns available for not too much more money. A large number of used Ruger P95, P85, and even P89 semi-autos have sold on Gunbroker for $180-220 (before shipping and FFL transfer fee) in the last 90 days. Some have been pretty roughed up on the outside, while others looked pretty clean. Regardless, these Rugers are built like tanks and are super-reliable. Even one that looks like it has seen extensive use would be a better bet than a Hi-Point. A few used S&W Sigma/SW9VE pistols have also sold in that range in the last three months. (Just another point of reference: A new Ruger P95 sells for $300 at Bud's, shipping included. So $300 + FFL fee would be the total.)

If that's simply too expensive, then I would consider a Russian or Bulgarian Makarov or a Makarov-chambered pistol like the CZ 82, FEG PA-63, or Polish P64. These pistols are chambered for the 9x18mm Makarov cartridge, which is generally substantially less powerful than 9x19mm Luger/Parabellum, but still at least adequate as a self-defense round. The important thing is that, at least in the case of the Makarov and the CZ 82 (don't know much about the PA-63 or P64), these guns are exceedingly reliable. They're also durable and accurate. Several Makarovs have sold for $115-150 on GB in the last 90 days.

Last edited by AustinTX; June 27, 2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added info
Old June 26, 2011, 01:24 AM   #4
TheNocturnus

Well first off, congrats on deciding to get a handgun. Second, do yourself a favor and save up a little bit more money. Hi points are not the best guns out there and if you are getting it for SD do you want to trust your life or a loved ones to a cheapo gun?

For about $200-$250 you could get a used 38 special revolver. Go to Armslist.com and you can find some great deals on guns. It is basically a craigslist for firearms.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old June 26, 2011, 01:39 AM   #5
Stonefly_Soldier

What purpose are you looking to fill? plinking or home defense?
Old June 26, 2011, 02:06 AM   #6
Kodyo

If you are getting it for plinking, I suggest a revolver: Ruger GP100
Shoots light .38 special and heavy .357.
Super low maintenance, and very accurate.

Save up some money if you have to.

Cheapest pistol I have is a Bersa Thunder .380 that goes for about $230 at a gun show. I highly recommend it! However, the ammo is a little pricey, so a more common caliber like 9mm may be preferable.
Old June 26, 2011, 02:28 AM   #7
10-96

If that's pretty much where you're at on budget ,AND since it'll be your first sidearm, I might suggest that you look at the Heritage .22 revolver lineup until you financial state improves a tad. If you blow your bankroll on a firearm, how much is ammo going to set you back? You can do quite a bit of shooting and familiarization with the .22lr as compared to any centerfire.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 26, 2011, 02:35 AM   #8
Kodyo

Actually, a decent used .22 revolver is a good idea!
Old June 26, 2011, 03:32 AM   #9
Don Glock

CZ82.
Old June 26, 2011, 04:43 AM   #10
LockedBreech

As a dirt-poor student, I understand how vicious it can be to save up those extra few dollars. Even so, I suggest you do so. I think $300 is the minimum that should be spent on a self-defense firearm, as it gets you into the realm of highly reliable and reputable - if not luxurious - firearms from well-recognized companies, including the Ruger P95 and Smith and Wesson Sigma.

$400 gets you in the range of actual quality pieces like the Sig 2022, Ruger SR9, and Stoeger Cougar.

You will trust your life to this machine. Save the money.

That being said, if $150 is the ONLY amount that can be used, even with weeks or even months of additional saving, Hi-Point should at least be safely functional, if quite ugly and lower quality.

Recommendations of surplus guns like the CZ-82 and Makarov are also solidly founded.
Old June 26, 2011, 06:07 AM   #11
spodwo

Yah - save up more. Get a CZ82 - about the best deal out there and something SO solid and dependable.
Old June 26, 2011, 06:21 AM   #12
10Ringmagic

I also agree with the suggestion to save up a little more for a higher quality gun.

As pointed out earlier, you will be able to locate and purchase a used S&W, or Ruger, revolver in .38/.357 in the $300-$350 range.

These used revolvers will protect you, and give you plenty of fun times at the range, for your lifetime, provided you take care of them by properly cleaning and lubricating them.
Old June 26, 2011, 08:35 AM   #13
ExMP

Gotta go with the Makarov suggestion, although, since they are "drying up", the price has gone up on them. I bought one new (Bulgarian) in the grease for $180 10 years ago. At a recent gun show, I was offered $230 by a dealer. I have no idea if he planned to keep it or resell, but, if he were going to resell, how much would he mark that up?

I love my Mak. It's never FTF or stovepiped on me. I have had one dud round (Wolf ammo), but, never an issue with the weapon.

Hope to hear back when you've taken one out and had some fun
Old June 26, 2011, 09:03 AM   #14
blchandl2

Since you are new to firearms, I agree with the .22 LR for your first gun. The ammo is cheap enough that you can afford to shoot it a lot to get familiar with gun safety and shooting. Don't be afraid to buy used either.

With the money you will be saving, take a handgun safety class and start saving for the next of many guns you will purchase.

Last edited by blchandl2; June 27, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old June 26, 2011, 09:24 AM   #15
irish52084

If it's for any sort of defense, and $150 is the absolute highest you can go, get the CZ 82. Start looking for one locally and tell them your situation, you might be surprised how willing people can be to help you out if you're a good person and aren't shady.

I bought my CA 82 about a year ago for $200 from a gun shop. From a private seller you should be bale to get one for $150.

You might also try looking for a local gun selling/trading forum. I have used a local one for a while now and it's a great way to buy and sell used guns. I have seen people almost give away safe reliable guns to people in a bad financial situation. You might even be able to work out a trade for some labor on top of you $150 and get yourself a little nicer pistol. Heck, if you were near me you could help me hang his stupid fence gate and I'd probably sell you my CZ 82, as long as I trusted you weren't gonna go do something criminal with it.
Old June 26, 2011, 10:52 PM   #16
Get R Done Guns

Save up for a bit. Hi-points are okay at best. Just don't get impatient and make a bad decision on a cheap gun. You may find a "deal" but if $150.00 is it then it may not be of any quality.
Please visit us at www.getgunsonline.com for some of the best delivered pricing on the net. 31,000 items and $4.99 ships your entire order!! No credit card fees! Gun+ammo=$4.99 Ammo+accessories=$4.99 WE MEAN EVERYTHING ON YOUR ORDER!!
Old June 27, 2011, 01:56 AM   #17
10-96

Not sure if the OP is still around, but I saw these at the J&G Sales site... http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/5863
But they're at about $180, with ffl transfer fee, unknown shipping- so that could add up to $230 fairly easy. I also saw some crazy low prices on the Nagant revolver- but the availability and price of ammo might spook him a bit on that one.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 27, 2011, 09:16 AM   #18
sils79

10-96, you read my mind, I was gonna post that same link.

ps. my dept didn't use 10-96, so I had to look it up, as a CIT officer, I appreciate your humor.
Old June 27, 2011, 09:23 AM   #19
lee n. field

Quote:
I can allot $150 give or take to buying a gun. I've been reading up a bit and it seems that Hi-Point is very looked down upon in the firearms community. Is it possible to get something cheap, reliable and fairly accurate? I've never fired a handgun, only rifles so my knowledge is close to nil.
newbie101 is offline Report Post
Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM
IMHO, keep saving. I know, I know, I've been in that position before, too.

The more money you can put into it, the more, and better choices you have. Down around $150, there isn't much to pick from now, unless you get real, real lucky.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 27, 2011, 09:34 AM   #20
bumnote

I bought one on those P-64's recently and I'm very impressed with what I got for such a small amount of money. I put 200 rounds thru it last weekend and it fuctioned flawlessly, even the HP's I used. I heard it said recoil was bad...it's not. The recoil was mild.
The one thing that must be done is replacing the hammer spring, which anyone could do it real easy. The DA pull is ridiculously heavy if you don't, so add an extra $5 into the mix.
If you're looking for something under $200, a P-64 or CZ82. I honestly can't think of any pistol that would be better quality than those two. They're inexpensive pistols, not cheap pistols.

Last edited by bumnote; June 27, 2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old June 27, 2011, 09:44 AM   #21
NJgunowner

I'm with the peanut gallery, you don't want something that'll blow up in your hand.

You can find all sorts of nice used guns in the $200-300 range.

Tags
advice , cheap , first gun