The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 9, 2011, 04:27 PM   #1
robertsails

New Here and have a few questions

Hello everyone,

I am new here and have a few questions. I have been into black powder guns since I was a kid. I have a few that I shoot and a few I keep safe. Today I picked up two new ones. I can not figure out there dates. Maybe someone here can send me in the right direction.

One is a Flintlock. On the left side of the barrel it has a circle with an E over a L and G over a star. On the same side it has the following words. 108 Malherb. Under those words you see what looks like leaves or garland running across. Above the words you see a few sprigs of sticks with leaves and then from right to left you see the following A pole arm, a shield with a cross on it and a drum. The right side has the following. The word Aliege on a angle with A starting from the lower left if looking at it. Under the ALiege you see a crown some strange thing that reminds me of a old comb, and one other thing that looks like s sail or something. above Aliege are two more of the sail looking things. Lower right of the top looks like a spear head. I do not think they are sails but could be about anything. I will attempt to break out my macro lens later and take pictures.

The second pistol is a percussion. On the right side of the barrel you see two things that kind of look like Crowns then a U under them. Under that you then see 7841. On the same side of the main body of the pistol just aft of were the barrel attaches you see the crown things again and the U as well. No other markings on that side. On top of the barrel just in front of the nipple you see what could be 1806.

On the bottom of the barrel you see what maybe 14 and then on the main part of the pistol you see what maybe another 14 As if saying these two parts go together. Or it could of been initials just warn down.

I hope someone here can help me figures these two new pistols out. Thanks for all your help you maybe able to give to me. Have a great day.
Old February 9, 2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Hardcase

Photos, as many as you have and as clear as you can take, will help immensely. If you have trouble posting them, just let us know and somebody will give you a hand.

The E over L and G over star symbols that you describe sound like Belgian proof marks.

And welcome aboard - it's great to have you with us!
Old February 9, 2011, 05:15 PM   #3
pohill

For a start, check out these sites:
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge...belge%20gb.htm
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html
Old February 9, 2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Kadmos

Yep Belgian. On the first for sure.

Here's a decent site of some of their marks.
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html
Old February 9, 2011, 05:30 PM   #5
robertsails

The little gun link will not work. My computer says it contains a virus. I tried on my iPad and it starts to open the goes to a different page.
Old February 9, 2011, 05:36 PM   #6
pohill

That happened to me before at that site, too. I can open it now. Can you post some pics of the gun and the marks? Have you removed the barrels? This is what's on the bottom of my Belgian rifle's barrel:
Old February 9, 2011, 06:25 PM   #7
robertsails

I have not attempted to do anything with either pistol as of yet. I am out and about right now. I will take pics in a little bit.
Old February 9, 2011, 07:14 PM   #8
robertsails

I was sitting at a coffee shop having a drink and googling maker marks and found the marks for the second pistol. Crown over crown over U is German from the Franco Prussian war. So that puts that one around 1870 to 1871 roughly give or take a few years. The first one I will still need help with.
Old February 9, 2011, 09:02 PM   #9
robertsails

Pics

This set and the next one are of the Liege pistol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2583.jpg (243.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2585.jpg (242.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2591.JPG (156.9 KB, 31 views)
Old February 9, 2011, 09:03 PM   #10
robertsails

full shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2588.jpg (260.0 KB, 32 views)
Old February 9, 2011, 09:06 PM   #11
robertsails

German pistol

Here are some of the German pistol pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2599.JPG (137.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2603.JPG (236.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2601.jpg (227.3 KB, 24 views)
Old February 9, 2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Hawg

Those are screw barrel pistols commonly called ladies muff pistols.
Old February 10, 2011, 05:45 AM   #13
robertsails

From what I have seen the second pistol with the crown over crown over U was a military issued weapon. Either way I am happy I picked them up more so for the money I paid for them.