The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 28, 2010, 08:09 PM   #1
ibe4buckshot

What do you guys think of this?

It's Winchesters PDX1 12 gauge load. It is a 1 oz rifled slug with 3 00 buck pellets in front of it.

Winchesters info on the round.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/N...s/pdx1-12.aspx

Animation of the round being shot.

Winchester Ammunition PDX1 12 Animation
Old June 28, 2010, 08:32 PM   #2
zippy13

New packaging for the old (really old) buck-and-ball.
Old June 28, 2010, 08:33 PM   #3
w_houle

What do I think? We go hundreds of years to finally get buck and ball for SD use?
Old June 29, 2010, 04:54 PM   #4
KMG5402

I'm thinking one or the other.
Old June 30, 2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not a brand new idea. During the English Civil War in the 1600s, Cromwell's tropps loaded their arquebuises (sp?) with "Pistole Balls and Divers Smalle Schotte" as well as a bore sized ball.

They won.

During our own Uncivil War, buck and ball loads gave Bloody Lane at Antietam its name.

As for its utility now, I see no advantage over standard buck loads up close or slug loads at a distance.
Old June 30, 2010, 02:37 PM   #6
UniversalFrost

couple other companies already offer this. nothing new. O or OO buckshot up close (and out to around 20 meters is good to go) and slug after that

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old July 1, 2010, 07:06 AM   #7
deepvalley

Location: I live in a small community where God and family come first followed quickly by farming and hunting. It is located in the heart of the western NC Blue Ridge Mountains. May God bless Barnardsville, NC.
I think its great for personal defense, if thats all you have it for. I personally dont want to have to sort through my shells when someone is coming into my house uninvited! So I will stick to all purpose buck shot and bird shot. Either of these will stop an intruder in their tracks.
Old July 2, 2010, 07:55 PM   #8
DG45

Its 00 buckshot and a RIFLED SLUG isn't it? Similar idea as buck and pumpkin ball maybe, but not the same in effectiveness at all. A rifled slug can, in effect, turn a shotgun into a close range big bore rifle because its accurate enough to hit aimed shots out to about 50 yards. And that slug is about a ounce of lead, so when you hit something with it, it stays hit.
Old July 2, 2010, 11:48 PM   #9
Kitsap

First off, this is my first post on the Firing Line so.... hello.

I've heard of these type of loads before and frankly I don't quite understand the advantage of having 3 '00' pellets along with a slug. The buckshot doesn't seem numerous enough to improve your chances of hitting an off-center target and if the target is on-center then the slug doesn't hardly need the help. Opinions anybody?
Old July 4, 2010, 01:30 AM   #10
DG45

I was wondering the same thing. The rifled slug was a great advance in shotgunnery because that big hunk of lead carried a lot of energy, hit like a truck, and was almost as accurate as a rifle out to about 50 yards. I'm wondering if having buckshot in front of a slug doesn't somewhat impair that accuracy, thereby costing a lot of a rifled slugs benefit.

My Remington Model 11 shoots only 2 3/4 inch shells. I'll continue to go with it and with the ammo thats worked for me for many years, Remington Express 00 Buck, and Remington slugger rifled slugs. Not buck and slug at the same time, mind you. What's the application for that outside of combat? I can see its use there, because if you miss with the slug, nevertheless wounding your enemy - or maybe killing him - with the buckshot is the next best thing.

Nobody wants to wound game animals though.