The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2010, 03:48 AM   #1
Snowdog

SWC with Bullseye?

I've embarrassingly misplaced my loading manual and don't remember exactly how much Bullseye I need to charge a case for .45acp under a 185gr WSC. I would like it mild with stock springs, whatever the lowest velocity numbers that would reliable enough to cycle with the original springs, but nothing that might leave things a bullet stuck somehere in the barrel.

Does 4.5 grains too little for this load (185gr, over Bullyese

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-
Old April 6, 2010, 05:59 AM   #2
That'll Do

4.5 of Bullseye should be just fine.
Old April 6, 2010, 06:07 AM   #3
That'll Do

double post.

Last edited by That'll Do; April 6, 2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old April 6, 2010, 06:34 AM   #4
darkgael

light

You really don't have to worry about a bullet getting stuck unless you have NO powder in the case. With light loads and a stock spring, the worst that will happen is that the slide won't open enough to extract/eject the fired case.
You may find that 4.5 is hotter than you actually need. Try loading a few 185s at 4.0 and see what happens. The bullet will definitely leave the barrel.
Lyman lists a load of 3.5 for a JSWC. I expect that a LSWC may work in that range as well.
Pete
Old April 6, 2010, 07:23 AM   #5
kraigwy

I've used 3.8 grns of bullseye powder with 230 gr RN cast bullets for years and never had one fail to leave the barrel.

3.8 would work for your 185 SWCs for 25 yards, but for the 50 yard line I think I would step it up to 4 grs.

You dont need a whole lot of velocity to punch a hole in a paper target, even at 50 yards. You are gonna shoot 180 rounds (assumeing you use the 45 in the center fire match) plus another 30 if you shoot a LEG match, might as well make it comfortable.

Take a page from the Cowboy Action Shooters, go mild and enjoy the shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 6, 2010, 10:11 AM   #6
zippy13

There's plenty of info on maximum loads, but mid-range target loads are another story. Years ago, The American Rifleman's "From The Loading Bench" column had some target loads for the .45ACP. Here's a Bullseye specific extract:

185 gr SWC Bullseye 4.2 (750 f.p.s.) to 4.6 (800 f.p.s.)
200 gr SWC Bullseye 3.5 (725 f.p.s.) to 4.0 (800 f.p.s.)

I've been using 3.5 gr of Bullseye under under 200 gr home casts for years. These will cycle my Colt's GC but not my buddies Springfield 1911.
Old April 6, 2010, 10:52 AM   #7
darkgael

cycle

Quote:
I've been using 3.5 gr of Bullseye under under 200 gr home casts for years. These will cycle my Colt's GC but not my buddies Springfield 1911.
Yep. It's a gun to gun thing. That 3.5 load won't cycle my GC either but Other folk that I know have no problem with it. Doesn't work in my gun even with a lighter spring.
I was told, years ago, by a high master shooter that you needed 750 fps for a 200 gr. bullet to be stable at the 50 yard line. I have seen no reason to doubt that. Gallery shooting, though, allows for some pretty mild loads and accurate shooting.
Pete
Old April 6, 2010, 12:52 PM   #8
zippy13

Doesn't work in my gun even with a lighter spring.
Pete, have you tried different COAL's -- has your feed ramp been altered, etc, etc…? How much BE (assuming that's what you use) do you have to use to get reliable cycling?
Old April 6, 2010, 10:13 PM   #9
darkgael

yep

Zippy: Oh, yeah. The gun has been accurized - tightened, polished - the works. I'm sure that that is a good part of the reason that extra light loads don't work. The lightest that has been 100% reliable is 3.8 grains of Bullseye and a 200 grain bullet. I use that for indoor shooting. Outdoors, I go to 4.0. OAL - using LSWCs there's a limit to how much you can play and still have reliable feeding, even with a polished ramp, or have rounds that won't fit into the magazine.
Pete