The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 15, 2009, 06:19 PM   #1
bigjack59

SC Whitetail Deer with a .30 Carbine?

Okay, a few parameters first: Deer I hunt average 85 to 150lbs. The two blinds/stands I would hunt have ranges from 25 to 100 yards. Assume I can hit the deer in the right place, heart lung shot, neck/head shot. Given those things, would you consider a .30 Carbine enough gun? Good shot placement under 100 yards, not so big deer. I ask because I have had people tell me the Carbine is woefully underpowered for any game larger than rabbits, etc. It killed a lot of the other side in several wars, and has about 975 ft pounds at the muzzle. What gives?
Old October 15, 2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Doyle

Nope, not enough power. Even the GI's who used it in WWII recognized it as being underpowered.
Old October 15, 2009, 07:00 PM   #3
ZeroJunk

If it is all you have and you can find some ammo with premiun hunting bullets you could succeed up close.
I looked and the usual suspects only have FMJ in stock which would probably be a disappointment.
Old October 15, 2009, 08:50 PM   #4
HShack

.30 carbine on deer?

Sure, go ahead. Or any .22 is good; just head shoot 'em. Oh! And let's do it at 600 yards.............

Good grief! You guys who want to use these itty bitty guns on big game- see how you feel when that deer leaves a little blood trail a half a mile long ,then you can't find it.

Use enough gun & realize you limitations. You owe it to the animal.

Shack
Old October 15, 2009, 09:01 PM   #5
30-30remchester

I shot my first deer with one when I was 10 years old. A SMALL mule deer at 75 yards. Hit it in the heart, the bullet stopped in the heart, about 6" of penatration is all. Way to underpowered for even small deer.
Old October 15, 2009, 09:18 PM   #6
bcarver

30 cal

I would avoid it.
It is a pistol caliber in carbine form.
Shotgun with buck shot would be better.
But they are fun to tote around the woods.

The carbine was designed for rear guard troops (cooks, quartermasters, officers, secretaries at HG. Basicly anyone who was not expected to shoot at an enemy personel. It is great for armadillo shooting and coyote/feral dog/cats.

However if I was in alaska with a 30 carbine and hungry I would try a caribou.

It would be like eating soup with a fork. It is gonna be a lot of work to get just a little sucess. And you would only do it if you were stupid or without a spoon.

Here is an idea. Imagine you are gonna be shot and left to die in the woods. What caliber and chamber do you want to be with?
I like blowing the heart to jello. They run but only so far.

Friends don't let friends shoot weak guns. Or go home with the ugly chick in the tank top yelling "I am so Drunk" It sounds fun but you always regret it.

Last edited by bcarver; October 15, 2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old October 16, 2009, 08:48 AM   #7
cat9x

Quote:
Sure, go ahead. Or any .22 is good; just head shoot 'em. Oh! And let's do it at 600 yards.............

Good grief! You guys who want to use these itty bitty guns on big game- see how you feel when that deer leaves a little blood trail a half a mile long ,then you can't find it.

Use enough gun & realize you limitations. You owe it to the animal.

Shack
Sometimes I think the same thing.
Old October 16, 2009, 09:09 AM   #8
GeauxTide

They weren't good with people........................................................
Old October 16, 2009, 09:17 AM   #9
bigjack59

Here's my deal: Most everyone would tell you a .357 in a lever gun is plenty for deer. The Carbine out performs the .357 in energy and penetration at all ranges.

The .30 Carbine was said to be underpowered by some soldiers. Well, having been there, soldiers will always say their weapon is underpowered, has too much recoil, jams, is too long/short/heavy or light. Anecdotal evidence aside, it was a sidearm, not a main battle rifle. In fact some sources say that up to 70% of all infantry inflicted casualties on Okinawa were inflicted by Carbines fitted with the first night vision device at ranges of less than 100 yards. (pretty ballsy shooting!) I have heard anecdotal evidence that it was a short range killer or a bb gun.

So other than tying up my neighbors 100 pound dog and doing some ballistic testing, has anyone shot deer, within my parameters, and had good or bad experience?
Old October 16, 2009, 09:21 AM   #10
bigjack59

Interesting article: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1
Old October 16, 2009, 09:52 AM   #11
Dr. Strangelove

Many things have killed deer over the years, hunters, bobcats, cars, wolves, etc., but the only thing I am certain never has is an internet discussion forum.

You have to make the decision. If it's legal in SC, then give it a "shot". You sound like you have the right concerns regarding range and bullet placement, so if it's an ethical shot to you, take it.

I wonder how many of the folks above have ever shot a deer with a .30 carbine? I have not, in fact I haven't fired a .30 carbine in probably 30 years. I'm certainly no expert, but it seems reasonable enough to me staying within the OP's parameters.
Old October 16, 2009, 09:57 AM   #12
rodwhaincamo

The HP/SP bullets aren't designed for medium game. Maybe it would work OK (and by that I mean barely OK) from a carbine at 25 yds. If you can pull off head and neck shots I'd say it could be done out to 100 yds. But I would strongly recommend getting/using a much more qualified gun for the task of hunting.
You really need to be fair and respect the game you hunt by choosing the right tools for the sake of a humane kill. No needless suffering. Oh, and I've heard that the 30 Carb was very underpowered and unliked for that reason, but carried and used because it was compact and light. Was more a paratrooper/vehicle rifle where the overall length was an issue.
Old October 16, 2009, 09:58 AM   #13
bigjack59

A voice of reason in the wilderness! I was just trying to flush out someone with some real time over the gun shooting deer. I think I am going to take my little Carbine to the range and then to my "punchbowl" and wait on some whitetail with my "hunting" load .30 Carbines. If I don't shoot one, not a good day wasted, my little punchbowl overlooks a nice stream and is always cool and shaded. I think falling asleep is the biggest threat to my deer harvesting!
Old October 16, 2009, 10:18 AM   #14
rodwhaincamo

The big difference between the 357 and 30 is the bullet design. I just checked both Federal and Winchester, and your info is incorrect about the 30 Carb being more powerful. @ 100 yds the Fed 30 Car 110 grn has 597 ft/lbs, Win 357 158 grn has 715, and Fed 180 grn has 657. The 30 cal being as light weight with a small sectional density coupled with a bullet design not intended for madium game spells animal suffering if everything doesn't work out perfectly. That's why I said a heart/lung shot under 25 yds may work. Now a head or neck shot will definately work. People do it with 22s.
Old October 16, 2009, 10:22 AM   #15
rodwhaincamo

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing you. If it was all I had I'd take it and go for neck shots, which I'm fond of. They drop right there. If given the choice I'd rather get a caliber more suited for medium game so that I wasn't hindered by the range or shot placement (head/neck). So if that's all you have access to then use it.
Old October 16, 2009, 11:58 AM   #16
bigjack59

I have a bunch of other guns, but I just love this dang carbine. My wife got it for me for my birthday. I guess first things first, I need to make sure I can pull off the shot reliably before I try anything else.
Old October 16, 2009, 12:07 PM   #17
Yellowfin

For dirt cheap just go get a used .30-30 lever gun and not have to wonder.
Old October 16, 2009, 12:16 PM   #18
bigjack59

You're right, but I love the stupid carbine! Haven't you ever carried a weapon and just felt like it was special? Yes, I am crazy.
Old October 16, 2009, 12:25 PM   #19
ZeroJunk

Midway shows that CarBon makes a 30 with a Barnes Triple X.
If you could round up a box I'm sure they would kill a deer within 100 yards with a heart/lung shot.

But, as has been said it ain't the best for the job. But, try to get a consensus on what is.
Old October 16, 2009, 12:34 PM   #20
Yellowfin

I certainly have had special feelings about certain guns, that's for sure, and still do. My pre '64 Model 70 in .264 Mag is one like that, it feels like a lightning bolt. Another is a Marlin 336 I got for home defense--I almost can't put it down it feels so good. Maybe give that one a try, bigjack.
Old October 16, 2009, 12:46 PM   #21
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Bullet selection is the obvious problem, even for a reloader. Whatever decent hunting bullet you choose must also feed properly.

Next, of course, is the intended use: In military combat, you're not concerned with ethical kills, nor do you have to stop shooting just because an enemy falls to the ground. In civilian self-defense, you're not concerned with ethical kills, either, but you are supposed to stop shooting when the immediate threat ceases. In hunting, the optimum is a clean and ethical DRT kill.

Hey, I really, really enjoyed driving open-wheel race cars, but they don't haul loads of cargo as nearly as well as does my pickup truck.
Old October 16, 2009, 01:09 PM   #22
Maromero

Quote:
ALWAYS BRING ENOUGH GUN
Follow your own advice.
Old October 16, 2009, 01:45 PM   #23
cat9x

Quote:
ALWAYS BRING ENOUGH GUN
almost ironic considering the original question
Old October 16, 2009, 03:16 PM   #24
sc928porsche

The 30 carbine was designed to replace the sidearm, NOT to replace the battle rifle. In that respect, it was very successful.
Old October 16, 2009, 05:55 PM   #25
cole k

Blackjack, the .30 Carbine isn't enough gun. I'd get a .30-30.