The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 15, 2004, 05:18 PM   #1
Handy

AR-15 muzzle devices

Hey, looking to get my barrel turned and threaded for an A2 flashhider. I note that the A2 has no ports on the bottom, so it must be indexed correctly.

Anyone know how this works? I've seen references to crush washers and "peel" washers. Do I order the crush, then turn until properly indexed, crushing the washer to the proper thickness? Yet some things seem to say the peel washer is correct.

Thanks.
Old September 26, 2004, 10:37 PM   #2
mikikanazawa

With a crush washer, you simply thread on the muzzle-mounted device until it's indexed the way you like it. It's easy. But, as with everything easy when it shouldn't be, the crush washers will allow the device to loosen relatively easily. Also, they can only be used once.

Peel washers are ok. Good idea, but when you actually use them, they are liable to loosen like the crush washers. I think it has something with the glue that holds them together vaporizing with repeated heat cycles.

Personally I'd just buy a bag of machined washers in .001" to .005" thicknesses, like a grab bag if you can find one. McMaster-Carr or Grainger has a large selection of washers. Hardened steel preferably. With this approach you can remove and remount the device (or leave it on permanently) and it'll stay tight relative to the crush/peel approaches.
Old September 26, 2004, 10:40 PM   #3
mikikanazawa

By the way, I forgot to mention, if you get your AR's muzzle area cut, I heard that removing steel in this area will cause the bore to open up ever so slightly. (Thinning the barrel.)

Don't know if this makes a difference to you or not.
Old September 27, 2004, 01:11 AM   #4
Handy

Ah, thanks for the reply. I'll look into the washers.

On the "thinning barrel" situation, I would think the flash hider, once installed, would keep the now thinned barrel in place, since all the metal is still there, just with threads inbetween.