The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Xfire68

Looking to broaden my load data sources?

I want to get more data then what I have in the 5 books I have. I mainly reload handgun but, I do load 2.23/5.56, will be reloading 7.62x39 and shotgun (Slugs and buckshot).

I was considering subscribing to Ammoguide or a big maybe get Quickload?

I don't know much about either one or if there are others out there that offer a good source for data?

Quickload cost is one reason I have not gotten it yet but, Ammogiude is pretty cheap for a year and if I don't like I don't have to continue.

Your input would be great thanks.
Old January 20, 2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Smokey Joe

More data...

X Fire 68--All of the powder and bullet companies maintain websites, and each has loading data, mostly (but not necessarily exclusively!) for the product that they make. This info is free, and I consider it a reliable source since it comes from a manufacturer who would have serious liability issues if they recommended a dangerous load. (I would NOT use a load recommended only by some anonymous yahoo on an I'net forum, unless it jibed with a recognized source!!)

Haven't used Quickload or Ammoguide, and would not care to subscribe for $$ for info I can get for free.

As to the number of loading manuals you posess--This is a collection for most reloaders, which increases over time. I just counted 12 manuals on my bookshelf (Some of which I don't use much, I admit).

But, when developing a new load, it's nice to have multiple sources of information.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; January 20, 2014 at 03:19 PM. Reason: The usual--Had another thought.
Old January 20, 2014, 03:20 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Ask and you shall recieve:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435562

Otherwise, QuickLoad is fabulous but I wouldn't buy it if I was mainly loading handguns. Given the information in the above link, I wouldn't considering paying for ammoguide or loaddata.com either
Old January 20, 2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Xfire68

Thanks guys. I have used the manufactures sites a number of times but, it's nice to have data at your fingertips with books. That collection of links is a big big help! I was looking for a site that had all the published data in one spot but, I don't think that is needed now.

For the record I never use forum data. I always use published data and work up my loads.

Yeah 2 rifle calibers is not enough to justify Quickload and I don't shoot competitively or currently hunt so these loads only have one real requirement and that is that they are safe.
Old January 20, 2014, 04:15 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'd buy QuickLoad for ONE rifle caliber but it depends on what you want to do. If you're content looking at published data, finding the matching powder and bullets and shooting just those, QuickLoad is pointless. If you're like me and you want to see what's BEST and use that, with or without data, QuickLoad is indispensable.
Old January 20, 2014, 04:32 PM   #6
jepp2

I have almost all of the current bullet manufacturers reloading manuals. Current version and for most the last 20+ years of manuals. I have the Lyman manuals (cast, handgun, and combined manual) the Lee manual and several of the caliber specific load books. I use almost all of the online data sources except Alliant. I find their data to be very limited by only showing a single load point and not showing pressure.

Given all that, I use Quickload on almost every load I work up. I just find it that helpful and it fills all the gaps that exist. I have added all of the bullets I load to their data files. I also use a chrony to check all my rifle loads.

I can certainly understand that many people can get by very well with the extensive free on-line load data listed in the thread with all the links. But for me I just want more details on the load development than those sources can provide.
Old January 20, 2014, 04:52 PM   #7
kerreckt

Ammoguide info

I subscribe to Ammoguide and have found it to be useful. Oftentimes, to confirm loads I am thinking of trying. There is a lot of info at the site besides the load info. If you got $30.00 to spend go for it! I think it is of more value than Loaddata because there is more there of interest than just reloading data.
Hope this helps....Best wishes
Old January 20, 2014, 05:08 PM   #8
Roughedge

I agree, I've used Ammoguide for years with good results.