The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 17, 2012, 10:55 PM   #1
rcase1234

How often do you oil your edc?

Hello everybody. To all you guys that carry a handgun with you everyday, how often do you oil them? Especially those who carry a handgun with a blued finish. Since you have probably handled that blued firearm everyday do you oil it everyday to prevent rust or once a week or what? If you have any info related to this please reply. Thanks and have a good day everybody
Old November 17, 2012, 11:30 PM   #2
Deja vu

After every range session (once a week at least)

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 17, 2012, 11:54 PM   #3
oldandslow

rc, 11/18/12

Since I live by the ocean in the tropics and I sweat a lot my pistols tend to rust quickly. I've tried frequent oiling but the long term answer was getting the blued parts (usually the slides) refinished in hard-chrome. Now they rust very little.

As for re-lubricating I usually do it every time the pistols are used or about every three months if they are in the safe. Some of the lubricating frequency depends on how fast the lubricant thins out or evaporates. A long time ago I used Breakfree-CLP but one of the house gun's slide wouldn't cycle after the CLP had evaporated off in three months since the last lube was applied. Now I use 90 wt gear oil- it hangs around for a long time, works great and is cheap to buy.

Happy Thanksgiving- oldandslow
Old November 18, 2012, 12:36 AM   #4
BarryLee

I usually hit the range at least every other week or so and my carry gun always gets shot and cleaned.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 18, 2012, 01:53 AM   #5
alex0535

Most guns don't need to be oiled as often as you think they do.

Excessive oil can give dirt, lint, and whatever else can get in there a place to stick to.

I think keeping the firearm dry is more important than frequent oiling as procedure to prevent rust.

In any case, oil as often as your manual tells you that you should. If you insist on oiling your gun on a regular basis. Do it after cleaning, with as little as possible. I put a drop or two on a gun wipe and rub it over contact points in the action. If there is any visible excess, it is removed with a clean wipe.

I don't concealed carry everyday, but I consider shooting a nearly everyday part of life. Everyday I can anyways.
Old November 18, 2012, 02:10 AM   #6
chris in va

After I clean it, which is every range trip at least once a week.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Webleymkv

The only blued gun which I carry regularly is my S&W M36 which is carried in my pocket. I oil it after every range session or once a month, whichever comes first. I've been carrying this gun pretty regularly for a couple of years now and haven't had any issues with rust though that might be a different story if I lived near the ocean. Honestly, if I lived near the ocean, I'd probably be looking into a M60 or other stainless gun for carry and relegate my M36 to enjoyment at the range.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:17 PM   #8
drail

I have carried blued guns for almost 30 years now and the best method I have found is to simply wipe them down with an oily rag daily or whenever you (or someone else) gets their nasty fingerprints all over it. Fingerprints will do more damage to blued steel faster than exposure to damp air. Some people's fingerprints are practically harmless and some people seem to sweat battery acid. Just keep the nasties wiped off and you'll be fine. Another trick I learned is to take a small stencil brush (like a miniature shaving brush - craft stores sell them) and put 2 or 3 drops of CLP or Eezox or whatever you have on the tip of the brush and "paint" it all over the gun. The brush allows you to get down into the checkering and serrations and right up next to the grips. A very thin coat is all you need. After you use the brush for a while it will collect and hold enough oil that you can just grab the brush and go over the gun without even adding any oil. Do this every night before you go to bed and your gun will be protected. Remember, you only need a very thin coat on it. In summer months I pull the grips off every week or so and put a thin layer of oil on all of the metal under the grips. You would be amazed how much sweat will crawl up under the grips and start eating metal.

Last edited by drail; November 18, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 08:48 PM   #9
rcase1234

So if my blued firearm got prints on it do you think it would be fine till the end of the day when to get the chance to oil it? My real question is if I get a print on a firearm (on the bluing) will rust form within 24 hours in most cases? How about 48 hours? Just curious
Old November 18, 2012, 08:54 PM   #10
barstoolguru

I wipe it down every day
Old November 19, 2012, 01:48 AM   #11
45Gunner

Goes without saying that my EDC gets cleaned and wiped down with a very light coating of oil each time I give it a work out at the range.

Since I carry it every day and live in a hot, humid climate, it comes out of its holster each night and I wipe it down with a silicon impregnated cloth. It says out of the holster all night which also gives the holster time to dry out from body sweat. I always keep a barrier such as a T-shirt between me and the gun. If for some reason it doesn't get a range outing within 7 days, I field strip it anyway, give it a good cleaning and put a light coat of Hoppes oil on all the parts.

Never had a gun rust or pit on me in the 50 plus years of shooting and carrying.
NRA Life Member
Old November 19, 2012, 04:04 PM   #12
drail

rcase, there is no simple answer to your question. You may not see rust after a week or you may see rest the next morning. Just keep it oiled every chance you get.
Old November 19, 2012, 04:25 PM   #13
MikeBajorek

I use a spray dry lube- Teflon type on all of my pistols after cleaning.
It keeps the firearm clean and you don't have evaporation or leaking issues.
I've been using this type of lube for about 15 years with no issues... though I am meticulous about cleaning every time I get back from a shooting session.

On my carry weapon, every night it gets removed from the holster and wiped with a silicon cloth.
Old November 19, 2012, 06:39 PM   #14
giaquir

I carried a S&W M36 concealed from 1972 thru Dec 2010
and I practiced quite a bit with it and have to say,
I never enjoyed shooting it but I stayed with it.
Since 2010,I've been carrying concealed, a G26 and am
quite fond of shooting it.
Old November 19, 2012, 06:43 PM   #15
Denezin

After everytime i shoot it which is rare.
Old November 19, 2012, 07:17 PM   #16
Bob Wright

No more often than once a month, if that.

Years ago I concocted an oil for my handguns that I have used for nearly fifty years with good success. I blend automotive motor and Three In One machine oil in roughly a 50/50 mix. After cleaning, I oil my gun pretty heavily, then after a minute of so, wipe it down with a blue paper shop towel like those from AutoZone. This keeps the gun well protected yet not too oily.

Motor oil disolves carbon better than most gun cleaning products.

Bob Wright
Old November 19, 2012, 07:34 PM   #17
Moby

I use synthectic motor oil after every range shoot.
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old November 19, 2012, 08:02 PM   #18
michael t

Carry blue gun get waxed Duck hunters did this for years . I also wipe gun with a silcone cloth
Old November 19, 2012, 11:36 PM   #19
Hook686

After every cleaning.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old November 20, 2012, 04:10 PM   #20
mumbo719

I lube after every range visit and every other week when not at the range.

During the hot humid summers in Florida I wipe my gun daily with a rag and something like Break Free or whatever I have on hand.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:07 PM   #21
jhenry

I carry a Glock 23 on a daily basis. I lube it when I clean it after firing enough to warrant a cleaning. I have never felt the need to lube at any other time.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:45 PM   #22
9mm

My Glock 19 is pretty much with me 24/7 I used to use a plastic holster, which had tight spots and wore some of the finish to w ite color, but now in a kydex holster and the finish is great. Because the old spots are being hit by the last holster.

I just wipe off the gun with a cloth, the sweat, I oil every other day or three now, and notice no difference.
Old December 19, 2012, 06:15 PM   #23
rayway

I would oil and barrel swab patch it every 2-3 days that is if your carrying it outside each of those days. Not just laying it on your couch feeling it while watching your favorite tv show
Old December 19, 2012, 06:30 PM   #24
thedudeabides

Depends on the gun.

My EDC Glocks didn't care, but now that I carry a 1911 I lube it every week.
Old December 19, 2012, 06:31 PM   #25
Dragline45

Depends on the gun. Certain guns like my Sig 232 like to be run on the wetter side, so every 3-4 days or so ill clean and re-lube the gun since the extra gun oil can attract dirt.