The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2010, 11:15 AM   #26
ZeSpectre

I use crushed Walnut "Lizard Litter", Meguiar’s "Cleaner Wax", and small squares of cut paper towel.

BEFORE putting in any brass, I put a good squirt of the cleaner wax into a fresh batch of the crushed walnut and let it run for a while (20min or so) to "condition" the walnut media. I often have to break up clumps with my fingers to get the wax to mix evenly and you also have to check and see if wax is building up on the bottom of your tumbler and if it is you need to mix it up into the media with your fingers until all of the wax has been "absorbed" by the walnut media. You'll only need to do this once with each fresh batch of walnut media.

Once the Walnut is "conditioned" with the wax (I usually only need to do this once) I then put the brass in along with roughly 2" squares of cut up paper towel or used dryer sheets. The paper towel/dryer sheets seem to absorb a LOT of the dirt/gunk and makes your media last longer.

I set the timer for 2-3 hours (especially if it's small mouthed rifle brass like .223) and let it run.

After the cycle I separate the media from the brass, discard the paper towel/dryer sheet bits, and re-use the walnut media.

This gives me very clean and shiny brass that also (because of the wax coating) seems to stay shiny and resist finger prints a LOT longer than just plain tumbling.
Old April 6, 2010, 01:00 PM   #27
FrankenMauser

I just don't understand why some of you prefer to clean and shine, at the same time, if it takes 4, 6, 8, or even 10 hours.

The same outcome can be achieved by using a dedicated cleaning media, and a dedicated polishing media.... in just over an hour, total.
Old April 6, 2010, 01:01 PM   #28
Hook686

You do realize that dull ammunition shoots as well as shinny ammunition do you not ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old April 6, 2010, 01:07 PM   #29
ZeSpectre

Quote:
I just don't understand why some of you prefer to clean and shine, at the same time
Because some of us throw it in the tumbler, set a timer, and go to bed.
Old April 6, 2010, 08:22 PM   #30
USCG

shiny

I'm along side Ze on this one, I find that the easiest way to do it is to put it in the tumbler and leave it be for a few hours while i get other stuff done, I mean why not prep other brass, or load other rounds.
I picked up a 25# box of walnut media at harbor freight, and a couple of bottles of brasso at wal-mart, fill my rcbs vibratory tumbler a little over 1/2 way, toss in a few lbs of brass and let it run for a few hours and they all come out pretty shiny, I wouldnt say like new, but pretty good.
FNH SPR A1, Colt H-Bar Elite A-3, Custom Lightweight AR, Troy M1A NM, Springfield 1917, Remington 1100 TAC2, Ithaca 37 Lightweight, Springfield M6 Scout, S&W 332 Airlite, Model 629, Model 657-3, Model 10, Model 686, Model 500 6.5" Lew Horton/ PC Compensated Hunter , marlin .22, Ruger 10/22, Puma M92 carbine .44 16"bbl w/ over-sized loop., Sig Trailside .22, Ruger MKI, Savage 1903, Springfield XD-S, Custom 1911, Ruger 44/96
Old April 7, 2010, 02:15 AM   #31
HiBC

I think maybe the brasso is not a good idea.Shines good,but something about it compromizes the strength of cartridge brass.I lost a couple hundred painstakingly formed .35 Whelens that way,myself.
Old April 7, 2010, 05:24 AM   #32
ZeSpectre

Brasso has ammonia...it'll make your brass cases brittle over time and promote splitting/cracking.

I used to know someone who used to use Dawn dish detergent and concentrated lemon juice and just enough hot water to cover the brass in the tumbler. I don't know if he still does that or not but his brass always looked clean.
Old April 7, 2010, 05:48 AM   #33
SL1

If you have a rotary tumbler and want aggressive media, consider stainless steel wire "shot" media. It has to be used in water, but it is fast and cleans very effectively, outside, inside, and the primer pocket. The brass comes out shiney and smooth, but not hghly polished. All of the grit is gone with the rinse water.

If you want polished brass, then tumble again in corn cobb with a little NuFinsh car polish added.

SL1