The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 17, 2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Onaway417

Conversion Cylinder?

I did a quick search for conversion cylinders for BP revolvers and was astonished to find that they are more than the price of the pistol I am waiting for. The ones I found are $225.00! That seems like a lot of money just to shoot cartridges instead of balls.
Is this normal, or did I luck out and get a pistol that uses only expensive stuff?
Old July 17, 2007, 08:18 PM   #2
BigBang

Nope, that's normal, and I agree, it's pretty ridiculous! A replacement muzzleloading cylinder is only about $50, and it's made out of exactly the same material! Just proves supply and demand I guess...
Old July 17, 2007, 09:34 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are also legal questions. Most states consider repro perussion revolvers in the same category as antiques, not requiring licenses, registration, etc. But if the gun is converted to fire conventional ammunition, it is no longer an antique and falls into the same category as any modern revolver. That may mean nothing, or may mean trouble, depending on state and local law.

It also could mean federal trouble if you sell a conversion, since in one view, you have manufactured a firearm, something it is legal to do for yourself only as long as you don't sell the result.

(Most concealed weapons laws and such laws as ADW or armed robbery, make no distinction between an antique and a modern gun.)

Jim
Old July 18, 2007, 11:03 AM   #4
mykeal

Quote:
A replacement muzzleloading cylinder is only about $50, and it's made out of exactly the same material!
I don't think that's correct. Conversion cylinders are made from stronger, more expensive steel and using more expensive processes than percussion cylinders. I don't claim that the difference in materials or manufacturing/inspection processes justifies the difference in cost, but they are different.
Old July 18, 2007, 03:37 PM   #5
BigBang

Quote:
Conversion cylinders are made from stronger, more expensive steel and using more expensive processes than percussion cylinders.
Says who? I don't see why they would be. They're designed for the exact same loads and pressures as the muzzleloaders. It would be a waste of money to do it any differently than they do the $50 cylinders, there's no reason to. They aren't any stronger, that's why you have to use cowboy loads.
Old July 18, 2007, 09:19 PM   #6
Old Dragoon

The Conversion cylinders are made from 4140 or 4150 Steel and I'll Gauran-Da**- Tee You that the Repro's are not made from 4140...ROA's maybe.

Jim,
Drop in Cylinder conversion do not apply in the "you make it you die with it" scenario. However, IF you cut a loading port into the frame, then it applies.
I can drop in conversion Cylinders in my BP pistols all day long, sell the guns and the cylinders. Not as a unit, but they can be sold.