The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2006, 07:30 PM   #1
hippo

Raised rib reflection problem

The reflection from the top surface of the rib on my 3200 is so intense that I often see two front beads, -- the real one and its reflection in the surface of the rib. Most times I can not locate the mid bead at all. It is very distracting and makes it impossible to consistantly "set" the front and mid rib beads. Does anyone know what I can use to dull the surface of the rib and eliminate this reflection? I tried flat paint and it wore off in no time at all.
Old July 26, 2006, 08:44 PM   #2
sm

3200 - Great Gun!

Still has the fastest lock time.

Hello!

If I am reading you correctly you are "pre-mounting" the gun and the rib on your gun is "smooth" , not "checkered" - correct?

Does this occur when mounting from "low gun" ?

I am trying to rule out any mounting problems , or any physical changes that may be causing this problem. Such as [forgive me, not trying to pry or be rude] weight gain/loss, changes in eyesight, any medications taken or changed.

Does the gun still shoot where pointed?

I know, sounds nuts, still if we shooters change physically, or eyes are changing or taking an anti-biotic , some anti-biotics cause one to be Photo-Sensitve, meaning Sunlight affects our eyes and skin more sensitive to UV rays.

--

Most 3200s I have used , as do other ribs have a "finish". Some are a "lined" straight down the rib, others are checkered.

If this gun fits correctly, and the rib is worn, or smooth, I would have a Gunsmith do a really nice DEEP lined or checker and re-blue.

I mean this is really nice gun, and I would only let a qualified gunsmith touch it.

He will have other guns he can let you shoulder to see how various "finishes" look and share his experience and advice.

HTH

Steve
Old July 27, 2006, 06:54 AM   #3
HSMITH

Pick up a can of sight black. Spray the whole rib down, wipe the beads off and you are ready to go. There will be NO reflection of anything in the rib....
Old July 27, 2006, 06:07 PM   #4
sm

HSMITH,

Gee, that is too easy.

Folks, anytime HSMITH posts, pay attention, he is so sharp and on the mark.

Steve
Old July 27, 2006, 06:15 PM   #5
AAshooter

I don't mean to be a smart a$$ here but what is the issue with the reflection?

Since generally with a shotgun your focus is on the target (unless you are shooting a precision shot, slugs, etc) whether there is a bead, no bead, or two beads usually doesn't matter. My initial response was to remove the bead altogether.

Is this just a problem when you are mounting your gun to confirm the proper mount or is it affecting your shooting? Based on your post, it is distracting when you are mounting the gun, correct?
Old July 28, 2006, 05:14 PM   #6
Ruger4570

Why not just take it to a gunsmith and have the top of the rib bead or sand blasted and reblued.
Old July 28, 2006, 06:33 PM   #7
Scorch

You wouldn't want a gunsmith to blast and reblue an O/U.
Old July 28, 2006, 06:42 PM   #8
hippo

My answer to some folks is -- I am shooting trap with my 3200 so it's not like I am shooting a field gun at a gamebird where you see a bird, mount ,the gun, point and fire. In other words, when I mount the gun I have to make sure that the front and mid beads are in a percise alignment before calling for a target. That reflection of the front sight on the surface of the rib makes it very hard to line up the "right" front bead with the mid bead. I do believe that the answer is to get the Sight Black, put it on the rib and call "pull".... Thanks to all!
Old July 28, 2006, 07:07 PM   #9
mete

He said the paint wore off ! Sand blast, bead blast , checker. Those are the options .There shouldn't be any problem of rebluing the barrels , this isn't and old gun that has to be rust blued.
Old July 28, 2006, 07:33 PM   #10
Ruger4570

Hippo,, it is your gun and your options. Best of luck