The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2017, 02:56 PM   #26
TrueBlue711

Quote:
you were a treasurer of a skeet and trap range, and youre asking us our opinion on an 870 for your wife?
I started the thread with a question about using a vertical/thumbhole grip for skeet/trap. Yes, you'd think I should know that, but it was a topic never brought up. This question was answered about halfway back through the thread.

My wife has owned her 870 for about 4-5 years already. This was never about getting her an 870 since she already has it (she picked it out by the way). Hunting is it's primary purpose. Trap is second. She likes shooting trap, but isn't into it enough to get a new gun just for that.

And yes, the ultimate goal is to get her a semi-auto. They're great jack-of-all-trades for hunting and clay shooting. But until that happens, I'm just looking at avenues to make her current 870 better. In this case, making the forend longer.
Old December 5, 2017, 04:46 PM   #27
stuckinthe60s

my opinion sticks. itll be an uphill climb that you may never achieve satisfaction with.

what base were you on?
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old December 5, 2017, 04:49 PM   #28
stuckinthe60s

why would I think you were thinking of getting an 870, if you were asking about wood for one that your wife already has?

here it is. my responses///////

So I'm debating about setting her gun up for turkey permanently since that's all she likes to hunt.
make the 870 the hunting gun and take it to the field only.

But would it screw up her trap game?
yes. get her a cheap semi.

Would she be ridiculed horribly at the range to where she won't want to go anymore?
most likely.
Old December 5, 2017, 04:55 PM   #29
stuckinthe60s

do you own more than one pair of shoes?
does she?
drop the do-all gun theory and get a gun designed for the specific need.
sneakers have a purpose.
bowling shoes do too.

so do guns.
Old December 5, 2017, 06:09 PM   #30
FITASC

^^^^ Gotta agree there. Jack of all trade guns do nothing great and are a compromise in performance.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 5, 2017, 06:11 PM   #31
TrueBlue711

Quote:
drop the do-all gun theory and get a gun designed for the specific need.
Agreed here...to a point. This is why I have 20+ firearms and my wife has 5. Each has their purpose. But, for me, shotguns are just so versatile. You can shoot all sorts of birdshot, buckshot, slugs, etc out of it and change the chokes. One shotgun can be used for multiple different situations compared to pistols and rifles. When I do get a new gun, I have an intended purpose for it in mind before purchasing. I have a rifle for hunting in the woods, one for the open fields, one for big game, one for small game, etc, etc. My semi auto shotgun...does it all. I hunt turkey, ducks, dove, geese, pheasant, coyote, boar, clays, the list goes on. All with one gun and simple ammo/choke changes. As you can see, the primary purpose of our guns are hunting related (self-defense when it comes to pistols). I mostly shoot skeet/trap as target practice for hunting during the off season. With my rifles, I target practice using the same guns I hunt with. I take that same “practice how you play” concept to skeet/trap and use my hunting shotgun. I don’t see many designated trap/skeet guns make it out to the field for hunting.

But yes, getting her a semi-auto of her own is the near future goal. Once that happens, we'll probably set up her 870 for turkey hunting permanently. Or even sell it if she sees no need for it after getting the semi-auto. Like you said, does the need for designated trap/skeet gun exist? In our case, no. Semi-autos work plenty fine for both hunting and trap/skeet shooting. Trust me though, if my wife ever told me the she wanted a gun designated for skeet/trap only, I won't steer her away.

I think this will be one of those agree to disagree conversations, which is fine. We wouldn't be humans if everybody agreed on everything. I agree with most of the points made and I don't disagree that a designated trap/skeet gun will have a small advantage over a pump or even a semi auto for those sports. But I still disagree with the idea that you basically aren't welcome at a skeet/trap range with anything less than an over/under. It’s a public range, not a private range. If people want to shoot pump actions or even single shot, that’s totally up to them. Pointing out to them that an over/under would be better for skeet should just be one sentence and then dropped after that.

Quote:
what base were you on?
My last base was Travis AFB, CA. Stationed in New Mexico now. The rod and gun club on Travis had a nice trap/skeet/5 stand range right across the flightline, so I went there every other day during my lunches. 90% of the club members there (which seems to be a trend at most skeet/trap clubs) were 65+ years old. I was one of the few young bucks who shot there all the time, which is one of the reasons why I was voted into a board position: to be the voice for those still in active duty. A lot of the active duty guys had their hunting shotguns and I had to fend off the old guys complaining that the "not serious shotgun shooters" were taking up the range.

Last edited by TrueBlue711; December 5, 2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old December 5, 2017, 07:14 PM   #32
FITASC

There are several well-made semis you can look at from the Remington 1100, Fabarm, Weatherby, Browning, Beretta.....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 5, 2017, 10:12 PM   #33
stuckinthe60s

I answered your questions.
and gave some advice too.
I can sleep tonite.
go navy.
Old December 6, 2017, 10:03 AM   #34
Ricklin

Not Necessary

It is not necessary to spend a crap ton of money on a trap shotgun.

One thing that is about as certain as sunrise and sunset, trap shooters are always changing guns. Always looking for one more X, if that takes swapping guns, you can bet they will do so.
I can't speak for all ranges, but most ranges and clubs are full of old farts who will whoop your butt on the line, and then let you shoot the next round with their gun.
Keep a couple extra boxes of factory shells in your bag for such occasions.

There are always great used guns available, I have a fondness for old, my 1941 trap grade model 12 was reblued nicely, but that reblue made it a 350 dollar gun, vs. a grand or more. It looks good, and it shoots even better. The model 12 was THE trap gun in the 50's, and can be had for cheap if one keeps their eyes open.

Quality never goes out of style. Enlist a buddy if you are not comfortable buying used. Great guns out there, if the shooter sticks with trap or other clay sports the gun is the least expense over time. Yet it is still expense and will likely become part of the "herd" over time if one keeps shooting targets.
Old December 6, 2017, 10:28 AM   #35
OzeanJaeger

What range?
Old December 6, 2017, 11:05 AM   #36
stuckinthe60s

on an AFB.