The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 8, 2008, 07:32 AM   #1
rahlcepx516

Quality scope for Tikka?

So my brother bought me a Tikka T3 Tactical Rifle for my birthday/Christmas, it is my first rifle, and I am having a hard time finding the right scope.

I have done some reading and from what I can tell Leupold and Burris make some good scopes for the $250-$400 range, which is what I am looking for. The gun is mainly going to be used for deer hunting, but other game will be hunted as well (elk, etc). If I could get an idea of what kind of scope I should be looking for, it would help a lot.
Old January 8, 2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Stockton

Scope

Thats a really nice rifle. A little beyond the average hunting rifle but will definitely yield excellent shot placement as long as you do your part. With that being said... if your only hunting with it.... estimate the average shot distance you take in your area...say under 200yds maybe?...then I would suggest a 3-9x leupold or bushnell is all you would need.

That rifle honestly is a tac driver and would be well deserving of even a USO/S&B/NightForce/MarkIV Leupold on a one peice 20moa mount with badger rings. That rifle is more than capable of 1000yd shot placement.

"So my brother bought me a Tikka T3 Tactical Rifle for my birthday/Christmas, it is my first rifle, and I am having a hard time finding the right scope.

I have done some reading and from what I can tell Leupold and Burris make some good scopes for the $250-$400 range, which is what I am looking for. The gun is mainly going to be used for deer hunting, but other game will be hunted as well (elk, etc). If I could get an idea of what kind of scope I should be looking for, it would help a lot."
3RD ID/29BCT/1-184TH AA INF OIFIII
Old January 8, 2008, 12:02 PM   #3
rahlcepx516

yeah, I agree, the rifle is a bit much for what I am using it for. I was considering on having him bring it back if possible, and getting one of the Lites, or a varmint hunter 308 style. I really like the look of the tactical though, and was looking into the bi-pod and maybe the muzzle break for aesthetics.

I definitely would like to get a good one grand scope, but I just do not do that much shooting to spend that much. I really like the "ballistic" reticle for the reason of long shots.

I am not 100% sure on my ranges. Last year we went to Oklahoma for deer and my shot was 200+ yards. I didn't get anything, plenty of deer, no connecting shots, which is why I think my brother bought me this gun haha. I don't know what elk hunting ranges would be like.
Old January 8, 2008, 12:41 PM   #4
bclark1

Man, if you're whiffing on deer, whatever you get, practice with it. You should be confident in your abilities before you try them on anything living.

I've got a much cheaper gun, but a Burris 3-9x has been fine for shots up to 225 yards. Would I have minded more at times? No. But even a 3x scope is a bit much when you have a deer running past you at 30 yards. For hunting applications, you probably want that kind of flexibility, because deer don't let you set up at that 100-yard marker. I've liked my Burris fine. Leupold's obviously got the reputation. While Bushnell's considered a little more budget-oriented by some, I have a pretty nice spotting scope of their's and I'm confident they can make decent optics as well.

Good luck, nice rifle.