The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 30, 2017, 06:53 AM   #1
OhioGuy

First Sig M17 pistols now fielded

https://www.army.mil/article/197497/...handgun_system

I found it odd that their publicity photo depicts soldiers holding the gun with their support hand in a very low position.

Does the army instruct people to shoot with their hands positioned like this? I've shot with this sort of grip before and definitely cannot control recoil very well.

More photos: https://www.military.com/kitup/2017/...un-system.html

One is even using the "teacup" grip.

Last edited by OhioGuy; November 30, 2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old November 30, 2017, 08:35 AM   #2
ThesNazud

First thought on that, Publicity Photo... I would think the photographer was like, "We cant see the gun too well, is there any way you could lower your other hand so we can get a good look at it???"
Old November 30, 2017, 10:53 AM   #3
Fishbed77

Quote:
"The specific performance improvements from MHS over the M9 include better accuracy, tighter dispersion, and better ergonomics, which combined result in a far more lethal pistol."
Far more lethal? Ummm. Sure.
Old November 30, 2017, 12:11 PM   #4
TunnelRat

They have to justify it somehow.

I think the P320 will be fine. But I think a number of options would have been fine. I’m at the point of saturation when it comes to talking about this pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 30, 2017, 12:20 PM   #5
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Far more lethal? Ummm. Sure.
Not if they keep holding it like that!
Old November 30, 2017, 05:16 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Silly.
If you are authorized a pistol, you will get the gun, holster, magazine pouch, magazines.
If you are lucky, you will get to pick which size grip "module" suits your hand.
The rest of that kibble ; other grips, other holster brackets, will stay on the shelf.
"If I issue, it, I won't HAVE it." heard from many a supply sergeant.
Old November 30, 2017, 05:47 PM   #7
GarandTd

What's up with the funky mottled finish.
Old December 1, 2017, 09:26 AM   #8
arquebus357

Actually, the fire control module in my Ruger American is better made than the P320's.

Old December 1, 2017, 11:55 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
What's up with the funky mottled finish.
I think they are just slathered in rust preventative grease/oil from the factory.
Old December 1, 2017, 09:26 PM   #10
BOOGIE the oily

Please forgive my ignorance, but I need to ask this question:
In this image:

you can see the shooter with his left thumb hugging his right hand, behind the gun. Is this a proper way to do it? Seems to me like a good way to get a knuckle shave...

"Alcohol doesn't solve anything, but then again, neither does milk."
Old December 1, 2017, 10:15 PM   #11
TunnelRat

First Sig M17 pistols now fielded

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...gun-system.htm

Quote:
The MHS is designed to provide soldiers with more of an offensive weapon than the Cold-War era M9 pistol it is replacing, according to Daryl Eastlick, the deputy of the Lethality Branch at the Maneuver Center of Excellence at Fort Benning, Georgia.

Well thankfully the M17 is more offensive than the M9. Interesting how they plan to be equipping it to far more soldiers than was typical in the past.

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 2, 2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old December 1, 2017, 10:54 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

" Is this a proper way to do it? Seems to me like a good way to get a knuckle shave... Is this a proper way to do it? Seems to me like a good way to get a knuckle shave..."

It isn't the way I would hold that gun, but ifit works for him, I won't second guess it.

I am not sure about the idea of issuing pistols to almost everybody, though. Soldiers through the ages have tended to "lose" items that added to their burden without showing a positive return. I suspect a lot of pistols will fall into that category if the carry choice is a pistol or extra rations.

Jim
Old December 1, 2017, 10:55 PM   #13
jr24

Those are some terrible shooting grips.

Gotta love the hyperbole, much like when the Brits switched frim the Hi Power to the Glock 17 and ranted that now they could "safely carry with a round chambered" with the Glock.

Uhh, what?
Old December 2, 2017, 02:01 AM   #14
Sequins

I think thumbs forward is the best grip but that's a publicity photo and showing the slide is more important than accuracy in a still media pic. I cant wait to get a p320 personally, I'm going to wait a year for any other launch bugs to be resolved and then dive in. The US army tends to pick exceptional handguns- I love the 1911 and the 92FS.
Old December 2, 2017, 03:46 AM   #15
mete

jr24, the Brits and others have required pistols to be carried empty chamber for many years . The Sykes -Fairborn technique did also which I never understood. They never questioned the added time to draw and load !
Old December 2, 2017, 11:14 AM   #16
tipoc

I never make too much of pics like this, the main reason is that unless you ask someone to "please hold the gun in your normal firing position so I can take a pic of you holding the gun" and strike a pose, you can't be sure that that's what you are getting.

A pic captures a split second of a person moving. It can't show what they did a split second before or after and can't show motion. So if a fella said, "don't hold your gun like this" and they took a pic at that moment, well somewhere someone will ask, "Does the Army really teach them that?".

Nice guns.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old December 2, 2017, 11:27 AM   #17
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
They have to justify it somehow.

I think the P320 will be fine. But I think a number of options would have been fine. I’m at the point of saturation when it comes to talking about this pistol.
Amen to that. The Army was due for a new pistol, and they really had two choices:

• Stick with the Beretta ecosystem.

• Move to a more-modern platform.

What else could they do? Modern polymer guns from the major manufacturers are simply good. The P320 is fine, but, as you said, I suspect that other options would've served just fine as well. (I can personally vouch for the Glock and S&W M&P platforms, but the list goes on.)

I love the Beretta, I own an M9, and I love to shoot it at the range. But I wouldn't wanna tote that thing around (A3 included), not with all the Plastic Fantastics out there.
Old December 4, 2017, 07:39 PM   #18
Viper225

A local Sheriff's Dept has went to the Sig 320. I got to handle a Full Size 320 with Medium size grip this last Saturday at our Defensive Pistol Match. I really liked the feel of it in my hand. The Trigger Pull and Trigger Reset felt like a Glock with a good trigger job.

Sig has had a couple issues with them firing when dropped. I sure hope the fix is not messing up the Terrific Trigger on them.

Bob
Old December 4, 2017, 07:52 PM   #19
qwiksdraw

Quote:
... Sig has had a couple issues with them firing when dropped. I sure hope the fix is not messing up the Terrific Trigger on them.
The drop issue got out of control so fast there was no way Sig Sauer could respond other than they did; the p320 was always safe.

However, I took advantage of the free upgrade on both of my P320s. Sig took an awesome trigger and made it awesomer.
Old December 6, 2017, 10:03 PM   #20
IMightBeWrong

Would a lot of other pistols have been good choices? Absolutely. Is the P320 a great choice as well? Absolutely. I think it’s a great choice.
Old December 7, 2017, 12:16 AM   #21
USMCGrunt

Fear not America. You can rest easy knowing that the US Marines still use a normal grip!
Old December 7, 2017, 01:48 AM   #22
Model12Win

Thank god the M9 will soon be a distant memory, a road bump in military handgun history, sandwiched between the phenomenal, legendary M1911A1 and the modern masterpiece of engineering that is the M17.
Old December 7, 2017, 02:06 AM   #23
TunnelRat

^I get that you're being sarcastic, but you've said the same thing a number of times now across various threads. I'm all for beating a dead horse, but even I find it gets old after awhile.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 7, 2017, 02:48 PM   #24
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoc View Post
I never make too much of pics like this, the main reason is that unless you ask someone to "please hold the gun in your normal firing position so I can take a pic of you holding the gun" and strike a pose, you can't be sure that that's what you are getting.

A pic captures a split second of a person moving. It can't show what they did a split second before or after and can't show motion. So if a fella said, "don't hold your gun like this" and they took a pic at that moment, well somewhere someone will ask, "Does the Army really teach them that?".

Nice guns.

tipoc
Sadly from the video there are some poor grips in the 101 (some good ones too) and with the one fella you can really see how it causes significantly more muzzle flip.

https://youtu.be/sc-pQH9GSxA
Old December 7, 2017, 02:50 PM   #25
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete View Post
jr24, the Brits and others have required pistols to be carried empty chamber for many years . The Sykes -Fairborn technique did also which I never understood. They never questioned the added time to draw and load !
I am well aware. The article I recall was implying the Glock 17 was somehow safer.to carry than a BHP with a round chambered.

I submit it is not.