The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 22, 2020, 03:27 PM   #26
reddog81

Last time around (2013/2014) I was at Sportsmans Warehouse and a customer was unloading on the clerk for selling him a 9mm when no ammo was available. The guy was yelling and had to be asked to leave.

It makes sense for the LGS to limit ammo purchases. If they’ve got 25 9mm’s for sale and 25 boxes of ammo, what should they do? No one will be buying guns from them if they can’t find ammo.
Old November 22, 2020, 03:41 PM   #27
stinkeypete

I'm pleased to learn that someone here reads my posts! My error is corrected!

Thinking more about it maybe the thing to do is put up a sign that says "Sorry! Out of Ammo!" and another that says "COVID SPECIAL!- New Gun Packages with AMMO! Ask for prices not listed!" There. No one is offended. Isn't that silly?

It's too bad that we have to put up signs that say "Please don't hoard, think of your friends and neighbors"
Old November 22, 2020, 03:52 PM   #28
RETG

Understand what they are trying to do; however, even in small town ID, it's only a few hours to about a half dozen other LGSs and large box like Sportsman's, Cabellas' etc.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old November 22, 2020, 04:15 PM   #29
Nathan

Frankly, it would be a better business decision to reduce hours. Then they are reducing costs. Some states will pay employees for reduced hours, or they can apply their skills to DoorDash, Uber, Amazon, etc. Keeping the doors open all day long with sales limiting policies does not get a handle on operating costs or allow your employees to use their time wisely. It also seems to be upsetting customers.

Another option is to do something like sell gift cards to the store as a requirement to by ammo. $20 gift card to buy $40 worth of ammo. Then they have a will to come back as supplies restock.
Old November 22, 2020, 04:51 PM   #30
fastbolt

Did you ask the gun store their reason for the sign?

I saw that sign posted at the firearms counter of a sporting goods store when the .22LR ammo crisis was in full swing. Being there idly looking for some .22LR (of a specific brand), I asked the guy behind the counter about it.

He said that they were so limited on available .22LR ammo, they were reserving what little stock they had for anyone buying a .22 so they would be able to have a box of ammo to go along with it. They weren't interested in feeding the "panicked hoarder" crowd. Seemed pretty considerate of their new gun customers, all things considered.
Old November 22, 2020, 05:28 PM   #31
kenny53

My favorite LGS and range will only sell ammo with a gun rental for the range. I am a good customer and friendly with the owner. The owner's sister works the counter and I always ask for ammo an she always tells me NO with a smile. I understand their reasoning I just give them a hard time about it. This shortage should end one day and when it does
I will "buy it cheap and stack it deep". just like I have done between some of the other shortages.
Old November 22, 2020, 07:45 PM   #32
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETG
Understand what they are trying to do; however, even in small town ID, it's only a few hours to about a half dozen other LGSs and large box like Sportsman's, Cabellas' etc.
Who also can't get ammunition, and who may have the same or very similar policies.
Jeepaholic
Old November 22, 2020, 08:16 PM   #33
Terrierman

His shop, his call.
Old November 22, 2020, 11:43 PM   #34
BigMikey76

Gotta side with the LGS on this one. Like some others have said, it is not just possible, but likely that they only have one box of ammo in stock for each gun in inventory.

Personally, I have dropped off of buying anything for the time being. I have more guns than I need (not nearly as many as I want, though!) and enough ammo to support all the guns I have for a while. As such, I have made the decision not to buy anything that may be needed by someone else who isn't as well set up as I am - especially considering the pretty much unprecedented number of first time buyers out there right now.
Old November 23, 2020, 12:57 PM   #35
tipoc

Quote:
The range i go to you must shoot their ammo .It has been that way starting in 1989 .He is still open .If you buy a firearm he will sell you ammo .ONE BOX TO TAKE HOME .The rest to shoot at the range .You must bring all your spent brass to him .except 22 lr .
I would object to that.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old November 23, 2020, 01:25 PM   #36
jmr40

I'm OK with that policy. Sounds like an excuse to buy another gun.

Winston Churchill
Old November 23, 2020, 03:23 PM   #37
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoc
Quote:
The range i go to you must shoot their ammo .It has been that way starting in 1989 .He is still open .If you buy a firearm he will sell you ammo .ONE BOX TO TAKE HOME .The rest to shoot at the range .You must bring all your spent brass to him .except 22 lr .
I would object to that.
At the range where I shoot, customers can shoot any ammo they want in their own guns. Customers who rent guns from the range have to buy ammo from the range for the rental guns.

That makes sense to me. Why should the range risk having their gun blown up by some dude who reloaded a box of grenades?
Jeepaholic
Old November 23, 2020, 03:41 PM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

I have a few pistols which no range, anywhere, has ammo for. So, obviously I'm not going to be shooting any of them on a range that requires me to use their ammo.

And, I will not patronize any range who has a policy of "if it hits the ground, its theirs..." NO Barking way! If I LEAVE it for them, its theirs but not if it just lands on their ground.

They might as well claim my shoes,, or my car, because I "left" it in their parking lot...no, thank you!
Old November 24, 2020, 03:11 PM   #39
ThomasT

Quote:
And on the other hand, what if you've already bought 50+ firearms from this LGS, and they won't sell you any ammo unless you buy another firearm?
If you were smart enough to buy 50 guns but weren't smart enough to have a big stack of ammo set back thats on you. Maybe you should have bought 25 guns and 25,000 rounds of ammo instead.

And anyone who has owned guns since 2008 should have figured out by now that panics and shortages happen. 2008 obama was elected and there was a run on guns and ammo. 2012 after Sandy Hook a run on guns and ammo. When it looked like Hillery would be elected in 2016 another run took off.

Trump won and nobody had to worry about a ban or new gun laws. Ammo and components were everywhere and cheap. If you were a gun owner in the last few years you should have been buying the cheap ammo as much as you could afford and building a reloading set up to go with it while the times were good.

And now long time shooters are once again caught with their pants down and belly aching about the new ammo shortage and cussing a gunstore owner trying to provide for the people who buy his guns. If you are short of ammo its your own fault. Some people never learn. They didn't learn this time and they won't learn the next time.
Old November 24, 2020, 03:20 PM   #40
Mike Irwin
Staff

Funny...

A couple of years ago when we were facing hard-core ammo shortages people were screaming red-faced murder that stores should be limiting sales because hoarders were coming in and buying everything that they could, often FAR in excess of what they could ever expect to us, and the rest of us couldn't find what we needed.

Now that stores are actually doing this to make certain that the HUGE numbers of first-time gun owners actually have, you know, ammo for their first gun....

Stores are evil, unprincipled bastards intent only on driving away repeat customers.

Talk about not being able to please everyone all of the time... or at any time...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 24, 2020, 03:25 PM   #41
ThomasT

^^^^^^^^^

This is why we need "Like" buttons here.
Old November 24, 2020, 03:38 PM   #42
Eddiejoe

Like! ^^^^^^
Old November 24, 2020, 03:38 PM   #43
Mike Irwin
Staff

Funny, Thomas, I was thinking the EXACT same thing about this line from you...

"If you were smart enough to buy 50 guns but weren't smart enough to have a big stack of ammo set back thats on you. Maybe you should have bought 25 guns and 25,000 rounds of ammo instead."

In fact, with all my 100+ guns, I actually did get caught somewhat short time time around, specifically on 9mm practice ammo.

I have some, but not a lot.

And in the last 2 years I've bought 2 or 3 new 9mms.

And that's my fault. It's not some super secret Biden/Deep State cabal to deprive me of my gun rights, it's not the local gun shops being SOBs and depriving me of my rights of God Fearin' and Gun Totin...

Blah blah blah.

Old November 24, 2020, 03:40 PM   #44
Carmady

"If you were smart enough to buy 50 guns but weren't smart enough to have a big stack of ammo set back thats on you. Maybe you should have bought 25 guns and 25,000 rounds of ammo instead."

That's absurd. It's like saying if someone bought a car he should have been "smart enough" to stash away a few hundred gallons of gas in preparation of a future fuel shortage.

It's up to any store owner to run his business as he sees fit.

It's up to me where and how I spend my money.
Old November 24, 2020, 03:43 PM   #45
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
And on the other hand, what if you've already bought 50+ firearms from this LGS, and they won't sell you any ammo unless you buy another firearm?
I haven't bought 50+ firearms in total, but I have bought probably a dozen from my local range/shop, sold a couple though him on consignment, and had him do another dozen or more transfers. He won't sell me ammo and I understand why. No harm, no foul. He needs ammo for the rental customers to shoot, and for people who are buying their first gun.

I get it.
Jeepaholic
Old November 24, 2020, 03:47 PM   #46
Mike Irwin
Staff

"That's absurd. It's like saying if someone bought a car he should have been "smart enough" to stash away a few hundred gallons of gas in preparation of a future fuel shortage."

I take it you're not old enough to remember the Arab oil embargos of the 1970s...

For years after those two very, very painful episodes people were doing EXACTLY THAT.

They were installing bulk tanks and keeping them filled.

How many ammo shortages do you need to live through before you start building up serviceable stores against such events?

This should be your second or third... at least.

Old November 24, 2020, 04:09 PM   #47
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I haven't bought 50+ firearms in total"

Lightweight!

Old November 24, 2020, 04:31 PM   #48
Carmady

"I take it you're not old enough to remember the Arab oil embargos of the 1970s...

For years after those two very, very painful episodes people were doing EXACTLY THAT."

I remember very well...around 1974 the last digit on your license plate, even or odd, dictated which calendar days you could buy gas. Even numbered plates on even numbered calendar days, and odd numbered plates on odd numbered calendar days. That was also around the time they had to change the pumps to accommodate gas prices in excess of $1 per gallon.

Sure, some people stored some gas, but I didn't know any. I'd guess it was far less than 1% of auto owners.

Where did I say I don't have any ammo?

I said I think it's a lame tactic to require all ammo sales to be accompanied by a firearm purchase. I also said that it's the store owner's call. They need to try to stay in business with a reduced amount of merchandise. I can see their perspective, but that doesn't mean I have to support and/or play their game.
Old November 24, 2020, 04:44 PM   #49
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I can see their perspective, but that doesn't mean I have to support and/or play their game."

So, basically, I don't give a flying fig about new gun owners being able to get ammo. I should go to the top of the heap, and those store owners have the obligation to pander to ME!

Gotcha.

And people wonder why small gunshops have been virtually run out of existence, to be replaced with cheaper-to-buy places like Walmart (doesn't sell ammo anymore), Dick's Sporting Goods (doesn't sell guns or ammo anymore), Sports Authority (out of business)...

With one of Joe Biden's wet election dreams being to outlaw all mail order ammo sales seems to me like you're gleefully cutting your own throat...

But, whatever.

Old November 24, 2020, 05:17 PM   #50
shurshot

I'm not looking for another gun, but if I was a new shooter / first time gun buyer in 2020 and I entered a shop that had a pistol, but no ammo, I would be inclined to shop elsewhere. I have to also back the LGS owner. Several up my way are doing the same thing.
Closed Thread