The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 2, 2020, 03:10 PM   #1
wild cat mccane

Wolf buckshot is trash--a heads up

Know buckshot is hard to find.

A little FYI, whatever that plastic covering of the shot is, Wolf it's unrealistically fragile junk. Half my order from Buds came broken in transit with the buck rolling around in the box. Buds was kind enough to not do anything about it because I didn't do the $1 shipping insurance.

I noticed if I ejected a perfectly fine live round, most would break from the fall to the ground at hip level.
Old November 2, 2020, 04:05 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

I can’t quite follow what you’re describing about the ammo, but it’s pretty clear you chose to save ONE DOLLAR for insurance and now think they should insure it anyway. This one’s on you.
Old November 2, 2020, 04:57 PM   #3
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest
I can’t quite follow what you’re describing about the ammo, but it’s pretty clear you chose to save ONE DOLLAR for insurance and now think they should insure it anyway. This one’s on you.
I'd say it is a bit unfair to say it is wild cat mccane's fault for not buying insurance. The title of his thread was that Wolf buckshot is trash, not Bud's is trash. I have never had buck shot so fragile that it just cracked from being dropped. My guess would be that the plastic formulation was off on that batch or that it was temperature abused to the point that the plastic got brittle.

I would contact Wolf and let them know.
Old November 2, 2020, 07:58 PM   #4
shafter

Sounds like defective ammo to me. That shouldn't be an insurance issue.
Old November 2, 2020, 09:16 PM   #5
wild cat mccane

Never held a buckshot ball before. Now I have a quarter of a case of loose balls. Incredible. Load one. Eject it from the hip. Hits ground. Shot goes everywhere. Plastic cover bits galore.

At almost two bucks per shell. Nice lesson.
Old November 2, 2020, 09:18 PM   #6
wild cat mccane

I might make my first video ever just to show it off. Total joke.
Old November 2, 2020, 09:31 PM   #7
joed

I would never spend a penny on Wolf ammo.
Old November 2, 2020, 09:47 PM   #8
wild cat mccane

I hope this reaffirms your good decision.
Old November 2, 2020, 10:51 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Pictures would go a long way to help figure this issue out. Looking at stock photos of the ammo, it looks like the shot is held with a plastic disc that's roll crimped. Is it that disc that's breaking or the hull itself?

Whichever it is this isn't damage from shipping, this is an ammo issue as you're saying the shells that aren't damaged are breaking if dropped.
Old November 3, 2020, 06:16 AM   #10
joed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Pictures would go a long way to help figure this issue out. Looking at stock photos of the ammo, it looks like the shot is held with a plastic disc that's roll crimped. Is it that disc that's breaking or the hull itself?

Whichever it is this isn't damage from shipping, this is an ammo issue as you're saying the shells that aren't damaged are breaking if dropped.
He said it's the plastic disc breaking in his message. If it isn't the disc the only other thing would be the hull breaking and I doubt that is what's happening.

I have some ammo that has a clear plastic disc over the shot but never a problem with it, made by Estate. But I would not use Wolf ammo if it were given to me, my opinion of it is that it's junk.

Would be nice if the OP posted some pictures, but does anyone really think he will? Kind of hard to believe his claim, anyone can say anything but pictures help to support it.

Last edited by joed; November 3, 2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old November 3, 2020, 06:31 AM   #11
joed

Not sure what happened with the edit.
Old November 3, 2020, 09:13 AM   #12
wild cat mccane

It would be nice if the OP came back with pictures....

Get them up today.

But yes. The round plastic disc (which you experts will call with an actual name) shatters when dropped from waist level.
Old November 3, 2020, 10:01 AM   #13
BillM

But how does it shoot? load/fire/eject empty is the normal sequence.
Old November 3, 2020, 11:22 AM   #14
wild cat mccane

I'm not sure how it shoots. Admittedly haven't shot those not broken straight from the UPS box.

I assume a buckshotless buckshot shell doesn't require shot actually in the shell to build the pressure, dwell, etc to cycle. But I'm betting the print will be non existent
Old November 3, 2020, 12:58 PM   #15
wild cat mccane

50% arrived like these. 25% were shattered with no buckshot in the shell. Those that aren't broken at all, there is no pattern in the plastic but that circle...so...

About all break on ejection from waist high. Sure, that isn't what you do with a shell. But it goes to show if I drop them from my short stature hip...it's likely toast. In my batch/experience.

I did this with a lot to test them as I have no use for them now.

My Rio #1 and Nobel buckshot arrived and though both have similar clear disks, non broken or broke on ejection.
Old November 3, 2020, 01:15 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Ok, to be clear, is it the body of the shell breaking or is it the "over the shot wad" (which, in the old paper shells was cardstock).

The shells are roll crimped with an over the shot "wad" of plastic? Not the star pattern folded crimp found on most shells today??

From what I read on the internet, some people swear by Wolf ammo, most people swear AT it...
Old November 3, 2020, 01:31 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

How was the stuff packaged for shipping? Who was the carrier? Mostly just curious but it changes who is responsible.
However, Wolf ammo has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You should contact 'em.
http://wolfammo.com/contact-us.aspx
I don't think that matters much anyway. If the plastic won't survive a trip in a truck, it wouldn't survive being cycled in a shotgun either. Moreso if the shotgun is a semi-auto. Never mind the trip from Mother Russia.
Old November 3, 2020, 02:14 PM   #18
wild cat mccane

Bud's put in one bubble strip on one side.

3 following orders from Buds with the $1 shipping insurance was the entire order (not wolf) surrounded by bubble. So, yeah. I do blame Buds a bit.

The shells that look okay break when dropped.

It's the cover piece. Photo shows the breaks easily.

No email on Wolf...so just disputing the charge with Capital One.
Old November 3, 2020, 09:39 PM   #19
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
I would never spend a penny on Wolf ammo.
I know this is off topic but...Wolf. 22lr is actually excellent quality ammo. I think its repackaged SK ammo. The point is...not all Wolf is junk.
Old November 3, 2020, 11:11 PM   #20
Joe_Pike

I ordered some of this from Bud's a while back ($.58 a round I believe). Received it in good condition and shot some last week. So far, so good.
Old November 5, 2020, 02:27 AM   #21
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
50% arrived like these. 25% were shattered with no buckshot in the shell. Those that aren't broken at all, there is no pattern in the plastic but that circle...so...

About all break on ejection from waist high. Sure, that isn't what you do with a shell. But it goes to show if I drop them from my short stature hip...it's likely toast. In my batch/experience.

I did this with a lot to test them as I have no use for them now.

My Rio #1 and Nobel buckshot arrived and though both have similar clear disks, non broken or broke on ejection.
If those are the Wolf shells, just because the plastic cover cracks that doesn't meant the shell can't be shot. So long as the shot is retained, it should still be good.

Those that broke open during shipping are clearly no good. I cannot tell if it's damage from shipping (possible) or an overly fragile plastic cover. I would still contact Wolf and complain. They should send you a box of ammunition that's not broken upon arrival. Same as Bud's and I would never buy ammo from Bud's again if they're gonna raise a stink over a $1 insurance fee. That said, if I ever buy shotgun ammo again, I'll be exercising insurance on it.

I've had interesting results with Wolf ammo in the past, most recently with .38 Special steel case. Steel case in revolvers requires empty cases to be removed individually as steel is more difficult to extract than brass.

Some would say that's garbage ammo because it doesn't work like normal ammo. It shot accurately, albeit flashy.
Old November 5, 2020, 02:49 AM   #22
Bill DeShivs

You could just put the pellets back in, and glue an over shot wad in place.
Problem solved.
Old November 5, 2020, 07:13 AM   #23
Virginian

First, I would not eject live rounds onto the ground. Second, if I did, I believe I would quit after one broke.

I do not trust Remington's dating service accuracy. If they were Match.com, you could end up with Nancy Pelosi.
Old November 5, 2020, 09:13 AM   #24
rmh3481

Give Wolf a call

Phone No. 888*757*9653 (WOLF)

100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED

WOLF is the only ammunition company that provides a 100% Performance Guarantee. If you are not fully satisfied WOLF will refund your money on the unused portion of the ammunition, including any freight charges!

http://wolfammo.com/guarantee.html
Old November 5, 2020, 09:26 AM   #25
wild cat mccane

So I bagged on both companies. I want to clarify a few things.

The picture of the cracked disks is straight from the box.

While I agree ejecting a live round at waist height isn't normal, understand I got half a case of shotgun shells where 50% are cracked severely, 25% of shells have the buckshot rolling in the box, and one highly unsatisfied person. It did seem worth while to check that the "fine" rounds really were fragile too. It's not like I'm spend 9 bucks a box on Wolf buckshot for giggles at the range.

I guess I will call Wolf to help them know the lot or all their stuff is unacceptably fragile.

To Buds, they were responsive, ready to fix it, and then saw I didn't do the $1 shipping insurance. "Nothing we can do for you." Well, that isn't a great attitude for a longtime customer with ammo and guns. I don't feel bad about disputing the charge with my credit card.

I am amazed we've gotten this far without someone correcting for the technical name of that disk that holds the shot into the shell.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; November 5, 2020 at 09:40 AM.