The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 20, 2017, 09:51 PM   #51
kyguy1

Ruger is a great company and they make amazing single actions I've had my eye on a 45lc vaquero for awhile now.Beautiful gun.

My holy grail would be finding a good deal on a Smith 44 magnum model 29 someday. Short of that, I'd love to find a nice prelock 44 special Smith. Huge fan of the 44 special round. Gunbroker has some great deals but I can't buy a gun without looking at it in person. Just can't.

Currently I'm looking at a nice combat magnum .38, a Model 10-5, and even an older model 33 in 38 s&w. All nice, haven't looked at any in person yet, as they are all fairly far from me.
Old April 21, 2017, 07:22 AM   #52
Real Gun

Quote:
Ruger is a great company and they make amazing single actions I've had my eye on a 45lc vaquero for awhile now.Beautiful gun.

My holy grail would be finding a good deal on a Smith 44 magnum model 29 someday. Short of that, I'd love to find a nice prelock 44 special Smith. Huge fan of the 44 special round. Gunbroker has some great deals but I can't buy a gun without looking at it in person. Just can't.

Currently I'm looking at a nice combat magnum .38, a Model 10-5, and even an older model 33 in 38 s&w. All nice, haven't looked at any in person yet, as they are all fairly far from me.
Good fortune is unintentionally finding a nice gun for an irresistible price, but seeking out something specific should be about finding a nice gun rather than a deal to brag about. The nicer ones generally cost more, and fairly so.
Old April 21, 2017, 11:00 AM   #53
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Currently I'm looking at a nice combat magnum .38, a Model 10-5, and even an older model 33 in 38 s&w.
Howdy Again

You are mixing up your terms a bit. The Model 19 is the original Combat Magnum. Chambered for the 357 Magnum cartridge. Although it can fire 38 Special cartridges, there is no such thing as a combat magnum 38. I'm sure you realize a Model 10 is a 38 Special revolver, not a magnum. And the Model 33 is the successor to the I frame, later J frame, 38 S&W Regulation Police. Considerably smaller than a K frame Model 10, the regulation police was a five shot revolver when chambered for 38 S&W.

This photo shows the size difference between a Regulation Police and a K frame 38 caliber S&W revolver. The revolver at the top is a 38 Military and Police, the predecessor to the Model 10. Same size and same design. This Regulation Police is a 32 caliber model, but externally, other than the number of flutes on the cylinder, it is identical to a 38 Regulation Police. This is the old I frame, the J frame Model 33 will look slightly different in the area of the trigger guard, but it is basically the same size.

Frankly, you will be better off looking for a revolver that is chambered in 38 Special, such as the Model 10, or the Model 19 which can fire 38 Special. Although 38 S&W is still manufactured, it is not as easily available as the ubiquitous 38 Special.

Last edited by Driftwood Johnson; April 21, 2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old April 21, 2017, 11:36 AM   #54
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Howdy Yet Again

Good luck finding a 44 Special S&W. They are not falling out of trees. I looked for a Model 24, the classic 44 Special S&W for years, never did find one. I stopped looking when I came across a 44 Hand Ejector 4th Model, the predecessor to the Model 24. If I were to come across a Model 24 today, I would probably grab it, but I am not actively looking right now.

This 44 HE 4th Model Target left the factory in 1955.

Might as well go through all the 44 Hand Ejectors while I'm at it. This is the grand daddy of them all, a 44 Hand Ejector 1st Model, also known as the New Century, and affectionately known to collectors as the Triple Lock. First offered in 1908 for the brand new 44 Special cartridge.

This one left the factory in 1915.

Then came the 44 HE 2nd Model. The third latch was gone and so was the big underbarrel ejector housing.

This one left the factory in 1921.

In 1926 S&W answered the call of Texas dealer Wolf & Klar and put an ejector housing back under the barrel of the 44 HE 3rd Model. The 3rd latch was gone forever, but the ejector housing has been retained in many magnum models up to today.

This very worn HE 3rd Model saw service in WWII. It left the factory in 1929.

Frankly, you are much more likely to come across a nice used Model 29 than any of the 44 Special models. I used to see Model 29s in shop windows all the time, usually with a half a box of 44 Magnum ammunition. It only took half a box for a lot of guys to decide they wanted no part of a 44 Mag revolver.

And yes, I NEVER buy a used firearm I have not inspected personally.
Old April 21, 2017, 02:19 PM   #55
Real Gun

I expect he meant "Combat Masterpiece", which is 38.
Old April 21, 2017, 04:22 PM   #56
Mike_Fontenot

Get a S&W69 ... 5-shot 4-1/4" L-Frame .44mag. I carry one every day, from pajamas-off until pajamas-on. It has full-time replaced my 10mm Kimber Eclipse as primary. Put the X500 rubber grips on it ... that allows full-spec Underwoods to be shot without pain in a 37oz gun. With that combination, it's an engineering marvel ... it wins the functionality contest hands-down. Save the "looks considerations" for 1911's.
Old April 21, 2017, 06:53 PM   #57
Armybrat

Another interesting choice is Ruger's recently introduced GP100 5 shot .44 Special with adjustable sights. I don't care much for the big rubber grips, but the smaller "old style" rubber grips with wood inserts would make it more concealable:

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/...eets/1761.html

Altamont makes a nice smaller replacement grip with checkered wood inserts for about the same price as Ruger's offerings:

Last edited by Armybrat; April 21, 2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old April 21, 2017, 09:25 PM   #58
sixgunnin

For concealed carry the Vaquero is definitely the best option. You will need to change your dress code though, (a slicker perhaps?)
Old April 22, 2017, 06:53 AM   #59
Screwball

I do have to ask what do you carry currently?

I personally wouldn't carry a normal Vaquero for concealed carry. Too big, and weighs a lot. Larger guns tend to be left at home/in the vehicle.

If you look, there are a few Talo options with 3.75" barrels. They have blue and stainless in either .45 ACP or .45 Colt (no convertibles), then a stainless in .44 Magnum. If I had to choose a Vaquero for carry, I'd pick one of those... but very hesitantly.

My off duty/back up revolver is a S&W 642-1, converted to 9mm. While a short barrel requires time to get proficient with, an Airweight is a gun that there really isn't an excuse not to carry... unless you are a nudist.
Old April 22, 2017, 06:57 AM   #60
Real Gun

Quote:
will keep in car when out on the farm or on a road trip
Then get something you won't mind having stolen. A handgun is best kept on your body, even at home. Perhaps the barrel lengths on both those Model 10s are a poor fit. A 4" would cover all of your bases.

Depending on a 30 Carbine is kinda out there for someone who doesn't reload and has no other, more conventional revolver. It sounds like you will have to get that out of your system, but it will be another gun that you either set aside or sell unless stubbornly devoted to 30 Carbine, which you remember as a rifle.

I would get that longer Model 10 and not look back. Rebluing is neither essential nor that big a deal to do. Target grips should be right where you want to be, and barrel length will be great at the range.
Old April 22, 2017, 10:10 AM   #61
Armybrat

I might tote my Colt .45 with its 4" barrel to a fancy wedding.... but not out of habit for daily carry....

Old April 22, 2017, 06:56 PM   #62
kyguy1

Well since I am just more of a Smith guy, although I like Rugers, I'm going to get a new 642. My lgs has one with a nice rosewood grips. A new production gun with no lock, which is good. And practical, in that I can carry it if I want. I figure I can always add a 357 down the road if I want. And meanwhile will be on the lookout for a nice used Model 60 or similar type.
Old April 22, 2017, 07:38 PM   #63
75218ron

You won't go wrong with a 642......very well liked gun.
Old April 22, 2017, 09:22 PM   #64
kyguy1

Yea it feels good in the hand and would be something I'd actually carry with me too importantly. Seems that some 642's have a lock and some don't. I'll make sure I get one without.
Old April 22, 2017, 10:19 PM   #65
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
For concealed carry the Vaquero is definitely the best option.
Was that a joke?

A Vaquero being good for concealed carry?

I don't think so.
Old April 22, 2017, 11:39 PM   #66
baddarryl

I wouldn't look past the Ruger Six series if you don't like the GP.
Old April 23, 2017, 07:28 AM   #67
Glenn Dee

A good allround revolver.

Ok A ruger will last for ever, S&W's have lasted for ever...

My own opinion but the smiths are somewhat smaller, and lighter. In your situation I'd look for a used Smith. The model 10/military and police revolver will last for ever. I'd suggest the 4" heavy barrel model. Being on a farm you might want to go with a model 13 or 65, the same gun but in .357 magnum.
Old April 23, 2017, 07:37 AM   #68
Real Gun

Quote:
Quote:
For concealed carry the Vaquero is definitely the best option.
Was that a joke?

A Vaquero being good for concealed carry?

I don't think so.
You seem to suggest that people don't CC a Vaquero. Is it the size, the implied barrel length, single action, what?
Old April 23, 2017, 03:09 PM   #69
kyguy1

Yea I'd never owned a SA before and would certainly never carry it. Impractical. Those are for shooting not for carry. I'm a shooter and not a hunter. But I still love SA's although I prefer DA. I'd get a 642 or 442 for pocket carry. But for a good fun shooter that could double duty as a home defense gun with 44spl, I have my eye on the Ruger Redhawk that is an absolutely beautiful gun. Everything I like in one package. Sturdy build, new production gun, wood grips, high caliber, and double action. Full back grip panel too, not the hideous tang grips that I hate. Only drawback is the cost. But it sure looks like a worthwhile purchase. Some would use it to hunt, I'd use it to shoot tons of 44 spl out of and occasional 44 mag and keep as a nice bedside gun. One could do the same with one of Ruger's nice SA's, but in the middle of the night, a SA would not be the best defensive weapon.
Old April 23, 2017, 05:50 PM   #70
dgludwig

Quote:
You seem to suggest that people don't CC a Vaquero. Is it the size, the implied barrel length, single action, what?
No concealed hammer.
Old April 23, 2017, 05:54 PM   #71
Real Gun

Quote:
No concealed hammer.
One should not suggest that everyone carries in pocket or even uses a small gun.
Old April 23, 2017, 06:18 PM   #72
dgludwig

Maybe you missed the "smiley face". Any sa revolver having a concealed hammer is, well... (two of them to get your attention -oops, three).
Old April 23, 2017, 06:50 PM   #73
Real Gun

My question about dismissal of the Vaquero as a concealed carry is not a joke.
Old April 23, 2017, 09:58 PM   #74
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Size and single action. Barrel length would depend on the length the carrier chose.

I simply think a revolver the size of a Vaquero, even the New Vaquero, would be difficult to conceal, and I cannot imagine using a single action revolver for self defense today. It was one thing in 1880, but things are different today.
Old April 24, 2017, 08:19 AM   #75
Real Gun

I think it depends whether one chooses a gun for a mode of dress or one dresses to conceal. My minimal gun is a lightweight J-frame. Many other choices in my carry rotation. With a vest I sometimes carry *TWO* Model P Jr clones in 38 Special. I don't have a barrel short enough in a full size SAA type gun. I carry those cross draw without much pretense of concealment.

As far as shooting goes, as long as I have two hands, one to run the hammer, I believe I can shoot fast enough to create considerable havoc and with better trigger control. The majority of my shooting is single action, so that is where my skill is.