The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 25, 2020, 05:56 PM   #26
Road_Clam

I just don't get why people have the itch to buy something that just doesn't make sense. What's the net gain shooting a 9mm rimless cartridge in a revolver ? Call me a purist I guess, keep your revolver shooting something 357 / 41 / 44/ 45 rimmed (or cap and ball ). It's not like a 9mm revolver will offer a "unique shooting experience". But it's your money and your want's...
Old December 25, 2020, 05:58 PM   #27
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
From what I've read thus far, both the Ruger and S&W 929 have a 10-lb trigger pull in double action. Is that considered light - I don't have any idea. Single action in the Ruger is 3-4 lb. I haven't read what it is with the S&W.
There's a lot that has to happen in a DA revolver trigger pull.

1. Cock the hammer.
2. Unlock the cylinder.
3. Turn the cylinder.
4. Lock the cylinder when the next chamber is aligned.
5. Deactivate any passive safeties.
6. Release the hammer.

An SA trigger just has to release the hammer and deactivate any passive safeties.

Cocking the hammer is usually the biggest part of the pull weight, but turning the cylinder can take some effort too when shooting fast. There have been some companies who have used lighter materials for the cylinder to help mitigate this effect.

It's not unusual at all for a DA revolver trigger to run into the double digits. I'd say that 10lbs isn't bad at all for the DA pull on an out of the box revolver.
Quote:
What's the net gain shooting a 9mm rimless cartridge in a revolver ?
The short case means more positive ejection and less misalignment when loading.

And 9mm is less expensive than centerfire revolver rounds.

The shorter cylinder is lighter which means less trigger effort required to turn it--which can make a difference in rapid fire.
Old December 25, 2020, 06:00 PM   #28
wild cat mccane

S&W 986 is a PC L frame 7 shot with the 686 Pro lines (flat barrel). Currently available for $1K.
Old December 25, 2020, 10:04 PM   #29
shoebox1.1

I like the 8 round cyl
Old December 26, 2020, 11:58 AM   #30
jetinteriorguy

A nice little revolver with a shorter frame to fit the shorter cylinder, six rounds, and a three inch barrel would get my money. Ruger SP101 size frame would work for me, or comparable S&W.
Old December 26, 2020, 04:08 PM   #31
HighValleyRanch

Hard to imagine how a company like Ruge could have such an ugly designer!
It doesn't cost any more to produce a nicely aesthetic design!
They must have hired the designer from Hi Point arms.

What the heck are those ugly cutouts on the barrel?

Any function like cooling for a wimpy 9mm?
Old December 26, 2020, 04:51 PM   #32
wild cat mccane

Personally think there isn't a company that consistently puts out more ugly guns than Ruger
Old December 27, 2020, 08:35 PM   #33
jackmoser65

Quote:
The 9mm cylinder fit in there screams that Ruger didn't give two craps about cylinder size to frame.
It's a competition gun. It's not supposed to rival the Triple Lock for drop dead sexy good looks. The cylinder is made that way to reduce rotating mass because again, it's a competition gun. It is also a custom shop gun. Over the counter it should go for around $1100.
Old December 28, 2020, 10:34 AM   #34
cdoc42

The best price I've seen so far - but no one in my neck of the woods actually has one for sale - is $1328.

As far as design goes, beauty, as always, is in the eye of the beholder. And why buy a 9mm revolver? The same reason why one buys a .22 pistol and revolver, or any gun for that matter....just because.
Old December 28, 2020, 10:59 AM   #35
Carmady

They could have left the forcing cone flush with the fame, and named it the Evel Knievel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Evel Knievel.jpg (167.7 KB, 36 views)
Old January 24, 2021, 03:32 PM   #36
Vet66

I have a early SP 101 3" in 9mm, I like it, shoots well, decent size....but a GP 100 in 9mm
is a real @#$%@#$ I do like mt GP 100 6" in 357 though. I guess each to their own.
Old January 24, 2021, 03:47 PM   #37
JohnKSa
Staff

It's not really a GP100, it's a Super Redhawk. I don't know why they decided to call it the "Super GP100".

Some of the likely reasons they might have chosen 9mm for the gun have been discussed.

By the way, the SP101 in 9mm was designed to be a carry gun. This gun was designed to be a competition gun. Comparing the two just because they're both revolvers and both in 9mm probably doesn't make a lot of sense. Sort of like comparing a paring knife and a katana because they're both made of steel and both made to cut things.
Old January 24, 2021, 04:59 PM   #38
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoc42 View Post
I'll admit the S&W 929 looks better. I think I'll cancel my two dealer "dream"list orders and see about a 929
I agree. For a coupla hundred dollars less, 10 Oz. less weight and a lot better looking gun, I could give up 1 round of 9mm.
Old January 24, 2021, 05:57 PM   #39
WC145

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Haven't touched one...but totally not interested.

The 9mm cylinder fit in there screams that Ruger didn't give two craps about cylinder size to frame.

Look at the S&W 646 with the cylinder fit in the frame. It was built around the .40 round.

At 1,500 dollars? Nope

You have to really like Ruger to pass up on the cheaper better triggered S&W 627 8 shot on the N frame.
The 646 was an L frame with a standard length titanium cylinder. It was chambered in .40S&W but the cylinder was not shortened to fit the round.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old January 24, 2021, 07:20 PM   #40
rclark

Don't like the looks.... Makes even S&W revolvers look decent.... Also semi-auto cartridges simply don't belong in a revolver IMHO. But I suppose if you are a competitor, anything to give you an edge where looks doesn't win you a trophy.... Sometimes you see some pretty strange stocks and do-dads on competition pistols/revolvers/rifles.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 27, 2021, 10:37 PM   #41
sncup

If you are a reloader and have both bottom feeders & revolvers of the same caliber this makes life easier.
Example; loading 45acp with a TC bullet that does ok for a Plunk test. At the range the Colt 45 auto refuses to feed these. Put them in a revolver and you don’t have to “disassemble” a bunch of ammo.
Revolvers don’t care about bullet nose style, and low velocity to warp speed is ok with them. Bottom feeders must be fed a carefully optimized cartridge or they will refuse to work right.
So you can have fun trying different ideas and know if one gun doesn’t like it the other will.