The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2021, 09:11 PM   #51
skybolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSR View Post
skybolt,

Why are you buying things you may not even have a use for? Crazy!

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSR View Post
skybolt,

Why are you buying things you may not even have a use for? Crazy!

Don

That was a stab at humor!
Aside from 9mm dies, ammo boxes, case lube, a tumbler and some bullets that’s all I’ve bought. I have all the “necessary” equipment to load. As with any hobby there’s an over abundance of trinkets one could go crazy on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 14, 2021, 09:25 PM   #52
USSR

skybolt,

We have these little things like this to indicate that something is said in jest.

Don
Old January 14, 2021, 09:27 PM   #53
skybolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJung View Post
Skybolt. My suggestion is is to slow down and tell us what you have or ask us what you need instead of buying of everything. Constantly phone sport and gun shops asking if they received primers. That's probably the hardest component to find. I lucked out walking into a store and they had box of large pistol primers on the shelf. I need more small pistol primers and Bullseye powder and lucked out phoning clubs and asking what powders they had that the relooaders wanted to trade for or sell. And so, I find more small pistol primers and powder trading. Now's the time to learn. Search for answers and ask questions. I haven't looked but I think you can still find lead bullets available. Phone or email them.

All that remains is powder, primers and knowledge. I was fortunate to have acquired most everything else years ago, I’ve actually been selling some things off that are either redundant or of no use to me.

I guess one question I have is this-hand primer or the primer arm on a single stage. Which method of priming is preferable amongst you all? It seems a hand primer may be more efficient but is yet another tool to buy, not that I’m opposed to that!
This also raises something else need to look into. My press has the primer arm but I don’t know what size it is
Thank again, Troy

Old January 15, 2021, 11:25 AM   #54
USSR

skybolt,

I teach the NRA's Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course. In it, I have my students use a hand primer for the following reason: you can feel the primer being seated, which allows you to better seat them without under seating or over seating them.

Don
Old January 15, 2021, 12:07 PM   #55
Unclenick
Staff

Skybolt,

Those usually have a primer retaining sleeve around them. Just check the inside diameter. A little over 0.175" for small primers and a little over 0.210" for large primers.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 15, 2021, 07:38 PM   #56
cdoc42

I've been using RCBS's Auto Prime System" (APS) for at least 15 years now. It speeds things up considerably and I can "feel" the primers being seated. It definitely beats the single-stage, one-at-a-time primer arm that requires you to finger each primer.
Old January 15, 2021, 09:11 PM   #57
skybolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Skybolt,

Those usually have a primer retaining sleeve around them. Just check the inside diameter. A little over 0.175" for small primers and a little over 0.210" for large primers.

Thanks Unc, excellent info. I’ll looking it that ASAP.

Old January 15, 2021, 09:15 PM   #58
skybolt

Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like a hand loader may be warranted should I be able to load any volume.

Old January 17, 2021, 07:05 PM   #59
ms6852

Depends on how you look at things, half full, or half empty. Personally I believe that you are on time but not for reloading. I recommend you buy a few reloading manuals like the ABC's of Reloading, the Lyman Manuals, Sierra, Noslers, Barnes and so on. You will soon discover that within bullet manufacturers and powder manufactures data can be conflicting. So to ease in the confusion if I am am using a bullet made my Hornady I use the Hornady manual and their data and powder recommendations. If I am using Sierra bullets I use the Sierra reloading data and so forth. Also while you wait to acquire required components RCBS have great tutorial videos you can watch as well. Good luck and know you are going down a rabbit hole you may never dig yourself out of.
Old January 19, 2021, 08:43 AM   #60
Constrictor

You have missed one of the boats that come along. There will be a never ending line of boats coming through.
Old January 19, 2021, 11:02 AM   #61
skybolt

I hope so.
The current situation feels a bit more serious than past ones imo.
Old January 19, 2021, 12:44 PM   #62
USSR

Quote:
The current situation feels a bit more serious than past ones imo.
That it is.

Don