The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old November 23, 2020, 03:45 PM   #1
TXAZ

Biden’s Semi and large capacity mag registration proposal

Biden has been talking up his Semi-auto and high capacity magazine (>10 rounds) grab / registration requirement (my terms, they say $200 tax per gun AND magazine)
I’m not linking to link to his site trying to stay in the middle, but there are multiple analyses on the web from the center and both the left and right.
Logistics would be a nightmare for ATF , but that’s just a detail.

So..... for those of you who follow this from a legal perspective better than I, what’s the chance?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 23, 2020, 04:18 PM   #2
raimius

Depends on which side has the Senate majority, most likely.

I doubt the $200/mag tax would pass, but politicians regularly surprise/disappoint...
Old November 23, 2020, 04:45 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
So..... for those of you who follow this from a legal perspective better than I, what’s the chance?
There's always a chance.

Now, lets look at a couple of realities...
#1, Biden isn't President YET. AND until then its all just hype and empty promises.

Now, after he gets sworn in, THEN he can TRY to do what he's saying now, BUT, there's the matter of he has to get his ideals through BOTH houses of Congress, and when it comes to gun control, neither party has a history of lockstep voting along the party lines.

SO, its NOT a given that he will get what he wants, and until there is an actual bill proposing such, we're wasting both our time and bandwidth discussing "what ifs".

And then, there is that whole pesky US Constitution thing that's going to have to be worked around, as well....
Old November 23, 2020, 05:29 PM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

See post 3. Nothing to discuss for now.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread