The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 14, 2020, 07:28 PM   #1
Chaparral

Stiff cylinder on S&W mdl19

Not sure why but it seems like just all of a sudden my cylinder is stiff to push open. I haven't done anything different, but when I push my cylinder release and then go to push the cylinder out to unload and reload, it is quite stiff. I have no troubles firing it and the cylinder turns easy when firing double or single action. Thanks.
Old November 14, 2020, 09:27 PM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
Not sure why but it seems like just all of a sudden my cylinder is stiff to push open. I haven't done anything different, but when I push my cylinder release and then go to push the cylinder out to unload and reload, it is quite stiff. I have no troubles firing it and the cylinder turns easy when firing double or single action. Thanks.
There can be several causes. The first thing to look at is the extractor rod. They sometimes back out and tie up the gun. It has a left-hand thread. Another thing to look at is the locking bolt (on the underside of the barrel). Sometimes they will lock-up from dirt, rust on older guns. Check the extractor rod first (most likely cause) and it that is not it, press in on the locking bolt to check it for the freedom of movement.
Old November 14, 2020, 10:54 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Also use a stiff brush to scrub the underside of the ejector and it's seat in the rear of the cylinder.

It's common for bits of burned powder and grit to get trapped under there, and that causes both sticky trigger pull and sticky cylinder opening.

In order to prevent this, always hold the muzzle upright as you eject fired rounds.
This will allow the debris to fall clear with the fired cases.
Old November 15, 2020, 01:10 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

You might also consider a drop of oil where the crane pivots in the frame. If that smooths things up, fine, if not, time to look at the other parts of the gun.

also check to be sure the crane isn't bent. You might not have done anything unusual, but I don't know what you usually do. If you're the kind who flips the cylinder in and out like Bogart in the old movies, it can happen....if you're not that guy, its probably something else.

Check anyway...
Old November 15, 2020, 07:50 PM   #5
Chaparral

I sure appreciate you guys and your suggestions. Thank you! Stay safe!
Old November 17, 2020, 02:42 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...all of a sudden..." This is the key.
Like dahermit says, M19 extractor rods tend to back out. You can usually see it. Easily "fixed"(they rarely stay in by themselves) by hand with no tools required. Start there and then give it a bath.