The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 3, 2006, 04:07 PM   #51
rha600

you guys might want to think about some sort of self defense/martial arts class. obviously nothing will help you 100% but what if someone gets the drop on you and you can't pull your weapon? or you do pull it and it drops, gets knocked out of your hand... even if the guy had a knife, or if there were more then one.
Old March 3, 2006, 04:29 PM   #52
threegun

I can box, wrestle, karate, ect. I can also use a knife, tonfa (pr24), bow, chucks, sia, ect. I have knockout power in both hands despite only being 5'8" and 185. The problem is, there is always someone better trained or more willing to use violence. Plus I don't want to touch another person much less fight with them. In an emergency I can and will get nasty with the best of um. I'm also getting older, my muscles don't last as long, my joints crack and pop when I lift my leg to tie my shoe much less throw a roundhouse or sidekick. BTW hitting the head with those kicks is now only possible if the guy is the size of tattoo from fantasy island.

My best bet is to spot and avoid trouble.
Old March 3, 2006, 05:35 PM   #53
rha600

I agree 1000% with that last statment but there's always that one time and it just seems that a lot of people rely too much on whatever they are carrying.
Old March 3, 2006, 10:01 PM   #54
GSD

It all comes down to looks and attitude.

If you look and act like a victim, you will be a victim.

If you have them thinking, they will leave you alone. Theres alot of fish in the sea, they don't need the hassles, just like you don't.
Old March 4, 2006, 03:09 AM   #55
threegun

GSD, I believe you are correct. I have often wondered why the things that happen to friends and family never seem to happen to me. I mean I'm not complaining about the good fortune, its just that so many stories of how this guy tried this or did that, from good people who go to similar places that I go, had me thinking. Maybe I give off some vibes or something. I'm not a big guy so it can't be size intimidation. I think you are right. The badguy, like a dog, can sense my lack of fear or something. Anyway, thank goodness for that special sense as I don't need the tension.
Old March 4, 2006, 09:06 AM   #56
GSD

threegun, I call that "the art of fighting without fighting" even the biggest guys won't mess with you if you get them to thinking or wondering.

I think alot of it is from how and where you were brought up. I think its an attitude that you learned to get you through some hard times. I needed the tough guy attitude from the time I was a little kid. We moved around from place to place as I was growing up. I needed to be the little tough guy, I was the new kid 6 times and ended up at an inner city dominantly black school. You needed to be a tough guy to make it out of there. Plus the fact that I was a little guy too, that made it that much harder. Well, I did it, I made it out OK and now I'm 5'10" 225lbs.......as of today I'm on a diet to get down to 210lbs. I started out at 245lbs Jan.1 2006.

"The art of fighting without fighting."