The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 29, 2000, 01:53 PM   #1
bone

Can anyone tell me how to get to and adjust the target trigger on this varmint rifle? Thanks for any input. bone
Old February 2, 2000, 10:42 PM   #2
weegee

bone, I'm pretty sure the trigger in question is non-adjustable. It's a different design (two-stage, and lighter pull) than the regular mk.II trigger. I think you can find more info in Frank de Haas' book "Bolt Action Rifles", or perhaps the moderator knows more than I...
Old February 3, 2000, 09:02 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Bone, WeeGee is right. The Mark II trigger is not adjustable. I've reworked several of them but this isn't a "adjustment screw" job. I recommend you take it to your local smith for a trigger job. If you don't have anyone near you, feel free to e-mai me. George
Old February 3, 2000, 10:29 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I bought a regular MkII in .223. Didn't know about the tort-liability trigger. After I quit throwing up, I put in a Timney. It's not as good as a Canjar, but it was reasonable and easy--and it ain't a bad trigger at all. A little bit of careful grinding for the safety to clear.

FWIW, Art
Old February 4, 2000, 04:33 PM   #5
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

The VT version of the Ruger Mk II does have an adjustable two-stage trigger. My pard's gun came from the factory with it perfectly adjusted, 2nd stage 2.5 lbs and no backlash or 2nd stage creep. Ruger discourages your messing with their triggers due to liability questions, but it is possible to adjust the old 77's (ones with the tang safety) and the VT (dark stainless HB laminated.) The standard Mk II trigger has the same adjustment capabilities as a standard crowbar, i.e.: none.
slabsides

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.

Old February 4, 2000, 10:49 PM   #6
MontaniSemperLiberi

There are spring kits, trigger kits, etc. available through Brownell's for the Ruger 77MKII. Unless skilled/practiced,etc. with the funtion of the Ruger trigger, would suggest having 'smith install. As mentioned, I happen to like the two stage V/T trigger Ruger offers.