Old August 12, 2005, 10:48 AM   #27
Para Bellum

trapped in fire

consider that bars can trap you inside your hous e.g. if
- you want to run from an intruder (which is better than confrontation),
- you need to escape from fire.
Old August 12, 2005, 11:01 AM   #28
Trip20

Yep, the fire thing has been pointed out by the other posters. Apparently there are ways around this worry.

I'm not running from anyone in my house. 99% of the time I have one or all of 2 children and a woman I love in that house. Can't really ditch the family just to avoid a confrontation.
Old August 13, 2005, 11:55 AM   #29
stephen426

Most motion sensing lights are designed for outside use. They have the motion sensor built in right over the lights. I don't see the point of putting one over the bed. If you have kids, their getting up in the middle of the night to get a glass of water will set off the lights and wake you up. Another thing is you will be lit up while the intruder is in the dark. You will be temporarily blinded while the intruder has a great sight picture of you from his dark hallway.

Try the alarm approach with an instant on function which will wake you up as soon as the alarmed are is breached. Sleep with your door locked and make sure you have a good solid door to give your sleepy head a few seconds to clear up.
Old August 13, 2005, 12:19 PM   #30
GodofWar

I dont like the bars on window thing,seen to may instances where good people die in fires...better to have a good trained dog in house..
Old August 13, 2005, 12:38 PM   #31
joab

Most burgler bars today, by code, have quick release mechanism easy enough for a child to operate.

My cousins had some that were activated by a foot pedal
Old August 13, 2005, 12:51 PM   #32
joab

I just read through and am a little surprised at the number of people making comments about be paranoid for installing burgler bars.
How many times have we heard this about carrying a gun for security?

As far as not needed them in good neighborhoods.
Mickey Thompson and Nicole Simpson lived in good neighborhoods.
A lot child abductions are from good neighborhoods. How many times have we heard of a child being stolen from their bed at night?
Didn't Elizabeth Smart live in a good neighborhood
Many murders are committed in good neighborhoods and if I was gonna rob someone's house I would go to a good neighborhood over the projects.

As long as you are not seeking a taxpayer paid grant to do it, why not
Old August 13, 2005, 01:05 PM   #33
progunner1957

A little intimidation, anyone?

Quote:
We are 100 yds. from a major highway where all manners of BGs might pass. A Model 1897 12 guage by the door, barking dogs (house dogs) and Texas laws "after dark" provide peace of mind as well as other shootin' irons around and handy. Paranoia doesn't even enter the picture.
How about a sign, small enough so as to not be obnoxious, yet large enough to not be missed - maybe 4"x6" posted on the inside of each window facing outwards, stating simply:

Home invaders and looters will be killed without mercy.

Perhaps with the "Jolly Roger" skull and crossbones illustration as an added touch.
Old August 13, 2005, 01:10 PM   #34
GodofWar

It is my personal opinion,im not telling you to do it or not...but if you like living behind bars,go for it....I'll trust my place to my dogs and guns....many of each....
Old August 13, 2005, 10:23 PM   #35
Garand Illusion

If you're building the house and still have options, check into higher security windows. Somebody mentioned some ultra high security windows, but there are many windows that do a good job of keeping people out.

Also look into ways to lock them while open (slide blocks or whatever) because I think the biggest danger is windows left open to catch the breeze at night.

And then ... get either a burglar alarm system or a dog. Either will do a good job of both keeping somebody out/waking you up if they decide to ignore it and keep coming.

I recently lost my dog to old age, and like yourself I'm a little concerned because I'm a deep sleeper and don't have an alarm.

But when I think about taking extreme steps like bars, it just occurs to me that a fire is as likely -- or more likely -- to happen than a true home invasion.

As long as I'm awakened before they're on top of me ... well ... as SWmike said ...

Quote:
If someone gets in, the only way out is in a bag.
Old August 14, 2005, 08:28 AM   #36
stephen426

Joab,
I understand your post but our self defense actions can be taken to various levels. I'm sure none of us are at the level where we barricade ourselves in our homes and never leave for fear of having someone break in while we are away or risking getting mugged, raped, or murdered while out on the streets. Everybody is entitled to respond to threats and possible threats in the manner they want. Some of us are only trying to show the possible down side of installing bars

Progunner1957,
I hope you are joking about the sign. If someone does come on to you property and you are forced to shoot him, I think you boost your chances of prosecution or a civil law suit exponentially. Our legal system doesn't always make sense.

Garand Illusion,
Have you looked into the price of high security windows? Those things are EXPENSIVE!!! I live in Miami and considered them to getting shutters. Let me tell you. They cost a pretty penny, especially if you like a lot of windows.

For me, I would get a good alarm system first. Make sure the alarm is connected to a central monitoring service. Otherwise it is just noise. You can also start a neighborhood watch if you see the neighborhood heading down hill. That way someone will always keep an eye and ear out for you and yours. I would then consider getting bars if I lived in a higher crime area, especially if police response times are poor. I live in a gated community in a very good area (yes I know people still get broken into) and the police response time is incredible. Property taxes are outrageous but its worth it. If you do get bars on the windows, make sure it is the quick release type. Good luck.
Old August 14, 2005, 10:20 AM   #37
3 weelin geezer

I don't worry about someone coming in to my house because my dogs live there too. I bring them into my room at night so even though I leave the window open, the only thing I fear is mosquitos coming in to make a meal outta me. I h8 bugs.
Old August 14, 2005, 01:19 PM   #38
joab

Quote:
I'm sure none of us are at the level where we barricade ourselves in our homes and never leave for fear of having someone break in while we are away or risking getting mugged, raped, or murdered while out on the streets.
Not sure that that is what Trip or I were advocating.

Installing security bars on windows are a far cry from being a shut in.
I have a feeling that it is the image of being in a cage that is most offensive to some, more than the idea of overboard security measures
Old August 15, 2005, 12:00 PM   #39
Trip20

Quote:
Not sure that that is what Trip or I were advocating.

Installing security bars on windows are a far cry from being a shut in.
I have a feeling that it is the image of being in a cage that is most offensive to some, more than the idea of overboard security measures
+1

I'm far from a shut in (unless you consider REALLY loving my recliner, and not wanting to leave it for extended periods of time, a shut in). I do not wear a tin-foil hat (I look better in gold). And, I sleep very well at night (too well, hence the original post).

I didn't know you would construe that I was a shut in or a fear monger, from the fact that I was considering security bars for windows.

I have a dog, and like the idea of the alarms... but sometimes those things do not deter BG's determined to do something wrong. Also, I hate to rely on electronics.

And, personally, I think if a BG broke into my home and had a bag of dog biscuits, my dog would probably help him carry my 36" TV out to the van.

You all have given me a lot to think about. Thanks for the alternative suggestions, I'll look into each of them.
Old August 15, 2005, 04:28 PM   #40
63Belair

As an alternative to bars, thorn bushes below your windows are also a fairly good deterrent for BGs while still allowing you and your family to escape incase of an emergency. Sure landing in a thorn bush sucks, but it sure beats dying in a fire because you couldnt get out.
Old August 15, 2005, 04:35 PM   #41
joab

Quote:
but it sure beats dying in a fire because you couldnt get out.
That's already been addressed with quick releases inside the house. But in my childhood home dad planted something called Spanish bayonet plants under all the windows. they were very popular around here for awhile. They were very effective

My sister got one almost all the way through her hand and I carried the tip of one in my left bicep for about a month.

For some reason it happened to both of us right at 16 years old and neither could remember how it got there.
Old August 15, 2005, 05:44 PM   #42
wayneinFL

I've seen neighborhoods in Miami where bars are so common, you'd almost think they were required by code. As long as you're not welding something at home out of rebar and angle iron, they're safe and can be quite attractive.

Paranoid? Half the guys on this forum carry guns to Walmart, and they call you paranoid?

Busted window easy to notice? on the back of the house?

Alarm system is great. Itr will keep people from staying long and taking a lot of stuff. The cops will show up and give you a report which you can give to your insurance company so you can get your money back less deductible and whatever amount is over your exclusion limits.

Rural areas with little crime are great as long as they aren't within 100 miles of a major city. In a rural area convenient to a big city the crooks will back a truck up to the house, knock down a door or bust a window and fill up the truck. Neighbors can't see it, dog barking or not.

Alarm systems, dogs, guns, cameras, and barred windows are all reasonable deterrents, IMO. All of them have their place. Neighbors will whine about bars, but their stuff will get stolen first 'cause they weren't "paranoid".
Old August 25, 2005, 05:33 PM   #43
ted murphy

In my old house I put bars in the basement windows. It was a weak point in the house and I figured a daylight break in was more likely than a home invasion. We had a run of daylight break ins in the neigborhood, so I decided to install them. The bars I had were easily opened in an emergency but could not be opened from outside.

In my new house I'm considering barring the basement window. Alarms would cover it well but bars reduce the tempation a bit.

You can tell if your new neighbor is from the city. First thing they do is install a new screen door that is heavy guage steel with deadbolt locks. Then the alarms, then the bars on the windows.
Old August 25, 2005, 06:23 PM   #44
blackmind

Here's another consideration:

If yours ends up being the only house in the neighborhood with bars on the windows, isn't that a signal to would-be burglars?

"Hey, there's GOOD STUFF in here, stuff worth protecting with bars on the windows!"

-blackmind
Old August 25, 2005, 09:44 PM   #45
63Belair

its just like car anti theft devices.

there is no "thief proof" car out there. But if your car is in a parking lot and there is another one that is the same make model and everything, but yours has an alarm, club, or whathave you, it makes your car less desirable to steal.

Bad guys are just as lazy as you and I. Why go through 3 steps to steal a car (or break into a house) when there is another one just like it a few feet away that only requires 2 steps?

Nothing is 100%, all you can do is make your item (car, house, etc) less desirable than the ones around it.

Something is better than nothing basically
Old August 25, 2005, 09:54 PM   #46
cracked butt

why not plant some sharp prickly things under and around the windows like large rose bushes? Works kind of like barbed wire, but much more pleasant to look at.
Old August 27, 2005, 04:18 PM   #47
Russ538

Bars aren't a bad idea in basements or lower levels of the house. Also, white bars seem to be less noticeable.

I generally keep the blinds closed where anyone can see into the house at ground level. It makes the dwelling more of a mystery box for burglars. I'm sure they'd rather take the stereo and big screen tv they can see in my neighbors house than go for the "mystery box". Not to mention, all they might find in my "mystery box" is a Browning Hi Power 9mm next to a very pissed homeowner who was disturbed while watching tv. Then there's trouble. I don't think that is a risk most burglars want to take.

A security system is a great idea. However, if you want to save some money, just put up a couple of "brinks security system" stickers on your windows. If you can't afford the system, might as well bluff the BGs into thinking your house is secure with those stickers.
Old August 27, 2005, 06:43 PM   #48
mark8252

Entry Bars

My home has decorative bars on all windows and doors. It came with the house when I bought it. Had nothing to do with the reasons to buy the house.
Now...four years later I am glad they are there.
The bars are just another reason for the bad guy to go look elsewhere and I may not have to kill anyone because they did. Just because I can does not mean I want to.
My family tells me they feel much more secure when I am not home at night too.
Add the fact I have an alarm system with it I have learned to like it very much. I also live in a neighborhood that should not require it.
But then those are the neighborhoods the bad guys look for...where they have something worth stealing. Like my room full of firearms........
The bars are just the first line of defense. Nobody gets hurt line of defense.
Old August 27, 2005, 06:53 PM   #49
kymasabe

Might I suggest a dog. I have a dog that alerts me to anyone in the yard or pulling in the driveway. Small dog, BIG bark. No one is coming in without thinking they're gonna get mauled by some big dog. Also have Holly bushes planted by the first floor windows. Roses or thorn bushes work well too. Thieves want an easy in and out, they don't want to climb thru thorn bushes and get bitten by a dog.

There ARE alternatives to turning your home into a prison.
Old August 27, 2005, 10:20 PM   #50
butch50

I lived in a house with bars over the windows for 3 years. After the first day, never thought about them again. Not one break in during those three years either, so they must have worked.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry