The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 17, 2017, 08:45 AM   #26
fourbore

I have been shooting CCI Std Vel in the 21A. Reliable and accurate. I have a carefully fired 1.8" 5 shot group at 15 yards. its an amazing little pistol. The sights are centered as well. Darn close as you could expect.

For ammo preference, I had read someones suggestion for minimags. More reliable or something. Well its a lot extra noise for no change in 100% functional. The accuracy did suffer big time where groups double in size. Beyond the accuracy, it seems like an unnecessary battering of the pistol. A new spring may call for hotter ammo. No idea.

I am not sure we are talking accuracy or reliable with the words "work" and "preference" I assume both. The OP might want to include some std vel in the testing routine. Aguila makes several loads, including std-vel, hi-vel and pistol match amoung others.
Old October 17, 2017, 11:43 AM   #27
otasan

Aguila works fine in my G17.
Old October 17, 2017, 12:39 PM   #28
fourbore

What does that mean, aguila? Which load?
Old October 19, 2017, 09:59 AM   #29
otasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
What does that mean, aguila? Which load?
Aguila 9mm 115gr FMJRN. I got it at a NH gun show.
Old October 19, 2017, 05:30 PM   #30
rt11002003

Over the past year and a half I've used a lot of Aguila Super Extra HV 40 gr coated, approx. 7,000 rounds. Started using the Aguila Pistol Match 40 gr uncoated within the past year, burned about 3,000 rounds. Been using ARMSCOR 36 gr HP coated for about four years, used a little less than 10,000 rounds, so far. Have several hundred rounds of CCI in my closet along with several other brands. The Super Extra HV has given the best results, almost perfect. ARMSCOR runs a close second. The Pistol Match is incredible in my single shot Anschutz rifle; has trouble cycling the semiautos until they warm up. My.22lr ammo is being used in two S&W Model's 41, two S&W Model's 422, a Hammerli Xesse Sport, a Ruger 10/22, several Rugers, Mk ii and Mk iii and the Anschutz rifle. I must be living right because I can not detect any of the guns favoring one ammo, of the three, over the other.
Old October 19, 2017, 05:42 PM   #31
rt11002003

By results, I mean accuracy and reliability. The S&W Model's 41 and the Hammerli can shoot 1/2 groups at 15 yards, slightly larger at 25 yards (indoor range). The rifles can do 1/2 groups at 35 yards (max in the range). The other pistols are not quite as accurate shooting groups, probably the best is 3/4 inch. The shooting is done on a bench using a sand bag. All of my .22lr guns have either red dot sights, or scopes, except the S&W Model's 422. Except for the slow cycling with FTEs of the Pistol Match in the cold semiautos, I can't recall a malfunction in the past several months. I should probably keep my mouth closed. Everything will probably fall apart starting tomorrow.
Old October 20, 2017, 04:46 AM   #32
redlightrich

During the 22 ammo shortage, Aguila was continually shipping. It kept me shooting high volume. Super Extra (40g HV) was ok ammo. Very few fail to fire, but I did notice at least a few rounds per box that were weaker than others. My Ruger Mk pistol still ate it without fail.
I have used their 9mm Luger, and also their 45acp. Both fed and ran well, although it was dirtier than most other ammo I use.

I would buy it in another shortage,but I prefer CCI for 22.

For other calibers, I prefer other brands. I would say it is acceptable ammo.

People do like their shotgun ammo a lot. Something to do with how they make the shot balls by tower dropping?

Rich
Old October 23, 2017, 10:31 AM   #33
otasan

I don't know what Aguila means in Spanish or Portuguese.
Old October 23, 2017, 04:25 PM   #34
tangolima

It says on the box.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old October 23, 2017, 04:44 PM   #35
TruthTellers

I've used a few different .22 made by Aguila.

Super Extra standard velocity LRN shoots great. Very accurate in my stuff.
SSS shoots low. It cycles actions and it does not keyhole, so while Aguila says you need a special barrel to prevent keyholing, it's not the case.

Colibri and Super Colibri is totally pointless ammo. A .22 Short will work better, be nearly as quiet, more accurate, and can be shot from a rifle barrel. This is by far Aguila's worst .22 product.