The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 8, 2013, 11:09 PM   #1
BirchOrr

Tingle MFG. CO.

Just bought this pistol today. Got it from my pal and local BP gun shop owner Bill Hammond. This is a rare and strange one. Made by Bob Tingle of Shelbyville, Indiana. He passed away in 1978. His story from "Gun Digest" can be seen at: http://www.gundigest.com/gun-collect...n-still-amazes it's worth the read.

Single shot .45 cal. Very little to no info is available on these pistols. Never was a manual. Bill and I measured the barrel ID and as close as we can figure, it should take a .445 ball with a .015 patch. This is where I will start anyway. Will shoot it tomorrow and give you a full report good, bad or otherwise.

A few pics to go along with this.

The nameplate:

Side view:

Under the barrel, there is an Allen-set-screw. Loosen it just a bit to remove the barrel.

With the barrel removed. It comes out, breech, nipple and all.

Nipple (breech) end of the barrel: Treso, (AMPCO) nipple. Looks like it's been dry-fired a few times...

Well gentleman, what say ye?

Will update tomorrow with target pics, powder used, distance, etc.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old June 9, 2013, 07:51 AM   #2
thickice

I had one just like it except .40 cal. Mine had 2 barrels, one about 12" long, and a detachable shoulder stock. Traded it for a 1st generation Colt "peacemaker".
Old June 9, 2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Pahoo

Interesting !!!

I own two Tingle "clones" and mine are a fun to shoot. Not only that but you can tell by you pictures that these are very easy to work on and clean. I find the presence of the Allen screws, interesting. Thanks yor for your post and pictures.....

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old June 9, 2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Beagle333

Now that's an interesting looking critter! I like it. And as Pahoo said.... it sure looks easy to clean up after use.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 9, 2013, 06:23 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

I can temember when he was making these but I never had the opportunity to shoot one. They certainly look solid and easy to clean. The ones I remember had the longer barrels on them - this is the first one I've seen with a shorter barrel. Over the years, I don't remember seeing too many of 'em. I saw a couple down at Friendship years ago - if I remember correctly, one was on a trading blanket over in the primitive area and one was in one of the sheepsheads.

Congrats on your new "toy"! We'll be interested to hear how it shoots! Enjoy!

Kindest regards,
Jim
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 9, 2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Old Stony

I've seen a number of these over the years at shoots, but never owned one as I've sworn I'll never own an inline. That said...they are very interesting firearms. I've never run into one quite like yours with the short barrel, and the matte finish. It almost looks to me like it has been bead blasted and reblued, but just a guess. Please let us know how it shoots, I have a friend with one that shoots great...but so does he.
Old June 9, 2013, 09:21 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Now that's an inline that I like.
Old June 10, 2013, 08:37 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

Bob Tingle was well known in the muzzle loading community. His rifles and pistols were unique in design and sold at very reasonable prices. They also were highly regarded for their shooting and quality. We lost Bob too soon.
You have a special item there. Enjoy using it.
Old June 10, 2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Pahoo

Hair Triggers?

BirchOrr
Per previous reply, I own two "Clones". Mine have the longer barrels and the only thing that bothers me about mine, is that both have hair-triggers. I can work with this but you have to be ready. ...

Does your have a hair trigger as well?

4) Keep you finger out of the trigger; until your sights are on the target and;
Be Safe !!!
Old June 10, 2013, 02:29 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Mr. Tingle's pistol reminds me of a poor Richards clone or copy of a T/C Scout single shot pistol or perhaps it's the other way around.{Not really sure_} But all the same its nice to see something like this occasionally. Thanks for posting your unusual find.

S/S
Old June 10, 2013, 10:30 PM   #11
BirchOrr

Here we go...

Thanks for the kind words gentleman.

Finally got time today to shoot the Tingle. 1st, I wanted to build a loading stand for it, so I headed to my shop (the fortress of solitude), did that and got out all the stuff to shoot.

Have a nice place to shoot here at home (the Antler Bar) on the back of the house, complete with an exhaust fan to clear the smoke!

Spent the rest of the day shooting/tweaking. Started out with 40 gr Swiss 3F... BIG BARK!!! Eventually dialed back to 20 gr. The pistol really liked 20 gr. I started out at 25 yds. with an official NRA Slow Fire Pistol Target. It was centered pretty well but shooting high. I made several trips to my shop and milled down the rear sight a few thousands at a time. Finally got it shooting sweet. This last pic is my last two shots.

I was really impressed how consistently this pistol shot. It took the normal amount of tweaking to get it dialed but nothing out of the ordinary. It does have one flaw though. The nipple area is so tight it's impossible to get a nipple wrench in there. I had to use needle-nose pliers to tighten/loosen the nipple. It also has an Allen screw above the nipple to adjust the rear sight side to side.

thickice: I did know Tingle made add-on shoulder stocks for these. Never have seen one. Sounds like you made a great trade!

Pahoo & Beagle, Yes, it is very easy to clean!

BBB: Thank you sir!

Old Stony: I agree, I think it's been blasted and re-blued.

4V50 Gary:

Rifleman: Unique for sure!

Pahoo: Indeed it has a hair trigger. I like that though but like you say, don't have your finger anywhere near the trigger until ready to shoot.

SS McGee: I read Tingle started making pistols in 1959 and died in 1978. His designs pre-dated many others that followed.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old June 11, 2013, 08:42 AM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Gee that single shot sure drops them right in there nice at 25. Your Tingle. It's more accurate than a couple modern ones I got here. I'm starting to rethink maybe I should re-invest in a Tingle and get rid of those two MIA repeaters I have. BTW like your shooting set-up. You Sir are a lucky man to have a estate large enough to accommodate such activity.

Don't want to be push'ee here. BUT
I wonder how your Tingle would do out at 50 yards there BirchOrr. Any chance of seeing a target from that distance?_

S/S
Old June 11, 2013, 09:53 AM   #13
Pahoo

Tingle ... Clones

Quote:
Richards clone or copy of a T/C Scout single shot pistol or perhaps it's the other way around.{Not really sure_}
From what I'm seeing, it's the other way around if indeed, that is the case. The TC Scouts came out much later and although in keeping with the old west profile, design is very different. Now, there were others that most definitely, copied the tingle to a tee.

My compliments on your set-up and shooting. Have you ever lost any windows? ..

Keep Posting and;
Be Safe !!!
Old June 11, 2013, 11:27 AM   #14
BirchOrr

Thanks men...

Quote:
Any chance of seeing a target from that distance?
Yes sir, planned on it. Will post ASAP. By the time I got done yesterday, I was tired of shooting!

Quote:
Have you ever lost any windows?
LOL! No. Did set the trash can on fire once though...

Birch
Old June 11, 2013, 03:00 PM   #15
robhof

robhof

There was also a Tingle B/p revolver many years before the ROA and supposedly even better, must have been; as only a few were made and the last one I saw at auction went for $1100. and it was in good, used? condition.
Old June 11, 2013, 08:26 PM   #16
bedbugbilly

Hey . . . you've got to be tickled pink with how that zeroed in . . . nice shooting!

I wondered about the finish as well . . . the few I've seen I thought had a blued finish but I couldn't remember. From the photos, the finish almost looks parkerized?

Do you know if he made the barrels as well (i.e. machined and rifled them)or did he utilize someone else's blanks? At the time these were made, there was Numerich, Bill Large and a few others but it doesn't seem like there was a large number making ML barrels (if my memory is serving me well - which it probably isn't! ). With the design of this pistol, once you get it sighted in and a load worked up, I have to believe it will be pretty consistent in how it shoots.

Until mentioned on here, I didn't realize that he also had some with detachable shoulder stocks. I don't think I've ever seen a photo of one. If someone has one, it would be nice if they could post of photo of it. It would be interesting to see how it was designed.

Glad it shot so well for you. Sounds like you had a fun time with it!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 11, 2013, 09:09 PM   #17
Doc Hoy

Sweet

Refer to the title.
Old June 11, 2013, 11:16 PM   #18
thickice

AIR, this was a long time ago, there was a stud on the stock that fit into a slot in the backstrap. There was a J shaped rod that ran down a hole behind the metal stud. The short J part fit into a depression on the bottom of the grip frame and it was tightened by a thumb screw at the top of the long shaft.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:41 AM   #19
Rifleman1776

I don't see a separate powder measure in your pics.
Never load directly from the flask into a muzzle gun. Not much fun, especially indoors, if a lingering ember ignites the entire container of black powder in your hand and face. Plus, the wife would have a mell of a hess to clean up in the house.
Old June 12, 2013, 10:29 PM   #20
BirchOrr

Yes sir...

Quote:
I don't see a separate powder measure in your pics.
Never load directly from the flask into a muzzle gun.
I have 2. 1 for pistol & 1 for rifle. (not pictured).

I swab with wet/dry patches between every shot so there is no danger of that.

Thanks for watching my back though...

Birch
Old June 12, 2013, 10:47 PM   #21
BirchOrr

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
There was also a Tingle B/p revolver many years before the ROA and supposedly even better.
Yes there was. It can be seen in the Gun Digest article at the beginning of this thread. His revolver pre-dated the ROA by 10 yrs.

Quote:
the finish almost looks parkerized?
It has been refinished. It's a really flat type of finish. Not sure exactly what it is. I do like it though, it leaves no fingerprints.

Quote:
Do you know if he made the barrels as well (i.e. machined and rifled them)or did he utilize someone else's blanks?
I don't think he made the barrels. I believe he got them elsewhere and modified them. (I think it talks about that in the article above).

Birch
Old June 14, 2013, 03:47 PM   #22
Erich

Wow, but that's a nice one. I passed on a .40 a few years back and have regretted it every time I hear Bob Tingle's name.
Old March 30, 2015, 07:38 PM   #23
efhill321

I believe I found an original and not a copy just like yours. i see this post is rather old but i was wondering if this would pick it up again.

I picked this up and was just going to hang it on my wall to be honest. After looking for what i could find on the internet, i realized someone might really want this thing as more than a shelf queen! So I'm looking to unload it and don't know where the appropriate place is or how much i should be trying to get. Any ideas?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old March 31, 2015, 09:11 PM   #24
bedbugbilly

Hey Birch! Nice Tingle. I remember those well from earlier days. I never had one but knew a few who did and often saw them at Friendship. Bob Tingle was well respected for his work. I don't know how "rare" they are but I suspect they are getting harder to find. I remember thinking about getting one but opted for a '60 Colt Army instead . . . when you're young and foolish "more shots" just seemed like the thing to do! :roll eyes:

If that picture of your shooting room is recent . . . I see green grass and I'm guessing the weather is at least nicer than it was? From the looks of your target - I'd say you have that Tingle zeroed in mighty well! Maybe years ago I should have opted for a Tingle rather than a '60 Army? That one well placed shot would sure be a lot better than six poorly placed ones!

Have fun shooting it and enjoy! Kindest regards! Jim
Old April 1, 2015, 07:29 PM   #25
BerdanSS

Very nice indeed!

I see these now and then from the same seller at the Indy 1500. And a local bait/gun shop owner has had one in the bottom display case for a Looong time. I always look at it, but have never taken it farther than that. If I may ask what is considered a decent price for a excellent condition clean tingle? The one locally is a .45, the two that keep popping up at the 1500 are both .40s I believe.