The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 1, 2013, 08:50 AM   #1
dieselbeef

anyone can own a 50 cal barret

might be able to trade into one...

i can legally own it like any other rifle?

thanks
gary
Old April 1, 2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

As long as you don't live in a state that bans them.

Your location is listed as Florida. If that is where you are, the only thing holding you back is finding a place to shoot the thing and paying for the ammo.
Old April 1, 2013, 08:55 AM   #3
dieselbeef

yeah..im in fl..we got a 300 ft range a cpl miles away..but im seeing ammo at about 10 bucks a rd on gbroker

idk..mayb the hype is cooler than actually owning one
Old April 1, 2013, 09:03 AM   #4
ScottRiqui

A .50 cal would be wasted on a 100-yard range; it's definitely a longer-distance weapon. Also, while .50 BMG ammo *is* expensive, it's usually not as bad as what you're seeing on Gunbroker. That's temporary madness brought on by the recent ammo shortage. Still, it's worth getting into reloading if you have a .50 BMG to feed.
Old April 1, 2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Willie Lowman

A friend of mine has one. I have fired it exactly three times. It wasn't the recoil that turned me off, it was the muzzle blast. I have no use for the things.
Old April 1, 2013, 09:22 AM   #6
SPEMack618

Perfectly legal in FL. Nothing more than a really large centerfire rifle.

I'll echo what Willie said. The muzzle blast from those things hurts. It isn't so much the noise, it is the shockwave that hits you hard.

An EOD guy used his Barrett to shoot up a suspisious looking box of trash along side the road we were about to drive up, and standing next to him, I felt like I did after getting a concussion playing football in high school.

But, that being said, if you want one, go for it. This is America.
Old April 1, 2013, 09:47 AM   #7
dieselbeef

its an oppurtunity thing that was offered to me..it may never come to fruition but i wanted to know the score before i went along with it

i guess its got all the paperwerk/case/150 rds/ and a scope on it already

we will see if he shows up weds with it or not
Old April 2, 2013, 06:23 PM   #8
armed_librarian

Nothing like it

I passed up an opportunity to grab a Barrett for a real good price last summer. I'm still kicking myself for not getting it. While the .50bmg seems impractical in the eyes of some, its like nothing else out there. Its legal for you to own it, do your best to get it and don't look back.

Also, a buddy of mine reloads his own rounds and he has cost down to something like $1.50-2.00 per round. Not bad at all IMHO.
Old April 2, 2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
A .50 cal would be wasted on a 100-yard range; it's definitely a longer-distance weapon.
No, it would not be wasted on a 100 yard range any more than any other rifle that shoots more than 100 yards. Yes, it is capable of more, but I don't know of any other centerfire rifles that aren't.

Barretts are fine enough rifles. Be sure that you buy one that will perform to your needs and don't just buy the name. You can find some other offerings that are comparable in prices and sometimes better in some regards, not always. My point is that Barrett isn't the only choice.
Old April 2, 2013, 06:44 PM   #10
ScottRiqui

Quote:
No, it would not be wasted on a 100 yard range any more than any other rifle that shoots more than 100 yards. Yes, it is capable of more, but I don't know of any other centerfire rifles that aren't.
Yes, and you can use a Lamborghini exclusively for trips to the grocery store three blocks away, buy why would you?

With a .50 BMG, you have heavy, expensive rifles, expensive ammunition, lots of recoil and lots of muzzle blast. On the upside, you get a nice heavy bullet with a high ballistic coefficient, which makes it ideal for - that's right - long-distance shooting.

If I'm shopping for a "100 yard or less" rifle, the .50 BMG would be just about at the bottom of my list, and I don't think I'm way off-base here.
Old April 2, 2013, 08:05 PM   #11
tobnpr

Dude...you're SET...
You live in Myakka City, and don't know about the Manatee Gun Club?

http://manateegunclub.com/

1,000 yard range...and plenty of .50's there on the weekends especially.

We drive nearly two hours each way to shoot there. You have NO idea how fortunate you are...

M82 semi, or 95 bolt?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 2, 2013, 08:36 PM   #12
alex0535

If you don't have at least 800 yards to stretch its legs out with, it is not worth owning in my opinion. Preferably greater than 1000 yards. But now that I see the post above me, you have 1000 yards so go forth if you dare to pay the ammo prices for it.

100 yards, I could probably put as many .22 magnum or .17 HMR bullets as I wanted into the holes you make with a 50 cal barret at 100 yards.
Old April 2, 2013, 10:06 PM   #13
trg42wraglefragle

Of course you could use it at 100 yards, but all you would really have is a very heavy very loud money burner.
Now if you were getting it with a really good deal and can find somewhere else to shoot it then go for your life.
Old April 2, 2013, 10:13 PM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

Besides legality, you need to verify that there is at least one range in your area that will allow you to shoot it. It's not uncommon in this area for ranges to forbid the use of .50BMG rifles.
Old April 2, 2013, 10:28 PM   #15
swcc22

Re: anyone can own a 50 cal barret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui View Post
Yes, and you can use a Lamborghini exclusively for trips to the grocery store three blocks away, buy why would you?

With a .50 BMG, you have heavy, expensive rifles, expensive ammunition, lots of recoil and lots of muzzle blast. On the upside, you get a nice heavy bullet with a high ballistic coefficient, which makes it ideal for - that's right - long-distance shooting.

If I'm shopping for a "100 yard or less" rifle, the .50 BMG would be just about at the bottom of my list, and I don't think I'm way off-base here.
Have you ever fired a barrett m82a2? I have there isn't near the recoil people think there is I know I used one for 5.5years now it is heavy and the muzzle blast sucks but there isn't a whole hell of a lot of recoil.
Old April 2, 2013, 10:33 PM   #16
oldmanFCSA

Cool Acres Range

FCSA Match Competition there this weekend - 1000 yards.
Range is in Georgia.

Manatee is a good place.

Check www.fcsa.org for location of ranges and matches near you.
Old April 2, 2013, 10:47 PM   #17
howlnmad

Go for it.

What a great way to reach out and destroy something.
Old April 3, 2013, 02:13 AM   #18
chris in va

Meh, I'd buy a few CMP Garands with the money. At least you'll know they increase in value.
Old April 3, 2013, 05:17 AM   #19
jughead2

50 cal.

dont run from the re-coil. i have a 12 gauge that kicks harder than the 2 50s i had a chance to shoot several times
Old April 3, 2013, 06:16 AM   #20
dieselbeef

i was at the mantee range this weekend. i live 5 mi from there.
the gun in question has been offered as a trade. i havent seen it yet nor do i know anyhting about it except its a barrett 50 cal with 150 rds/scope/case
if he comes thru with it this week ill let yall know more.
ill shoot it and then decide if im gonna keep it or not.
idk..i really dont have a lot of int in it but that may change once i shoot it

stay in touch...

gary
Old April 3, 2013, 07:13 AM   #21
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Interesting analogy. The Lamborghini owners at my kids' school use them as commuter vehicles and for taking their kids to and from school. There are few places you can go in the US to drive them to their capacity, legally.

People drive all sorts of vehicles that have unused capabilities, be they sportscars, trucks, sandrails, or sedans. I don't think the automotive analogy is a good one.

Just because something can be shot longer range, does not mean it is a waste to shoot shorter range. But let's say 1000 yards sounds really impressive. Is it really compared to the distance the gun can fire? No. People rarely fire their centerfire guns to their distance capacity.

BTW, I am a Barrett M82A1 owner.
Old April 3, 2013, 07:26 AM   #22
ScottRiqui

We can agree to disagree, but my position is still that buying a .50 BMG solely for a "100 yards or less" rifle is bordering on the moronic.

And I believe the automotive analogy is more apt than you're giving it credit for. In both cases, you have a very high initial purchase cost and high recurring costs (ammo for the rifle, and gas/maintenance for the Lamborghini). You're not using either one anywhere near its limits. And just as a .50 is heavy and has lots of muzzle blast, a Lamborghini is noisy and frankly, not a lot of fun to drive in stop-and-go traffic three blocks at a time.

I'm not saying that you have to push the envelope every time you drive (or shoot), but from the OP's earlier posts, it sounded like he only had a 100-yard range nearby, and was ambivalent about the rifle to begin with. Now that we know he's only a few miles from a facility with more options, that changes the calculus a bit.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; April 3, 2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old April 3, 2013, 07:44 AM   #23
TXAZ

I've fired several Barrett's and didnt find the recoil any worse than a 12 ga, as another poster noted above.

What you DON'T want to do is to have anyone else at the ~45 degree cone coming back from the muzzle brake for about 6-8 feet, which is a substantial wake up call.

They are truly a blast to shoot!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 3, 2013, 09:11 AM   #24
kraigwy

There is a great place about 2 miles from my house where you can shoot a 50 cal. 2000 yards or better. Better yet you can drive your vehicle or atv out to where you want to set up your target.

As to the 50, its OK I guess. I shot a buddies and like others said, you have to reset your ear muffs after each shot. It's fun.

Not my cup of tea. I can get to just about any target with my 300 WM that my buddy can get with the 50 cal.

You can reload. You can go the cast bullet route. There are plenty of cheap 50 cal. bullets in the Black Powder section of your gun shop.

I'm not looking for one, but I wont say NEVER either. I have a lot of guns I've said I'd never buy. Guns have a tendency to make a liar out of me.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 4, 2013, 11:43 AM   #25
Grizzdude

Nothing beats shooting the 50 BMG bud! I have a Serbu BFG-50A and man, every time I pull the trigger I fall more and more in love with it! The 50 has more of a push than a jolt during recoil, my 338 lapua has a sharper recoil than the 50 BMG. I love that concussion wave produced, just awesome! Nothing compares in "Fun Factor" period! Also I recently picked up 150 rounds of API for about $350. You can find the deals, they are out there. Reload yourself and it's even cheaper. Good luck, Also if your serious about buying a 50 BMG check out the Serbu BFG-50A, It is 10lbs lighter, less recoil due to efficient muzzle brake, way more accurate, and about 1/2 the price of a Barrett M107. Serbu is also in florida

Please visit my website! Grizzdude's gun's website