The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 18, 2017, 01:41 PM   #1
DPris
Member Emeritus

Browning HP Discontinued

Confirmation from Browning- Last shipment received in March, none available, production has ceased, equipment worn out.
Denis
Old July 18, 2017, 01:44 PM   #2
RickB

Would it take an invasion of Belgium to get production restarted in Canada?
Old July 18, 2017, 01:47 PM   #3
TunnelRat

To be honest I never understood why, at least near me, they kept being marked at ~$900 new. Obviously they still sold, but they seemed overpriced to me.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 18, 2017, 01:50 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

I suspect it'd take the ghost of John Inglis and several million dollars to re-start production in Canada.
Denis
Old July 18, 2017, 02:09 PM   #5
g.willikers

From their web site, it appears not all Hi Powers are discontinued.
http://www.browning.com/products/fir...r-pistols.html
Old July 18, 2017, 02:13 PM   #6
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers View Post
From their web site, it appears not all Hi Powers are discontinued.
http://www.browning.com/products/fir...r-pistols.html
I saw the same thing: some models discontinued, others still in production. I dunno.
Old July 18, 2017, 02:20 PM   #7
themalicious0ne

It has the same models on both discontinued and current production.
Old July 18, 2017, 02:23 PM   #8
DPris
Member Emeritus

Guys,
Info direct from their director of media relations & trade show manager today.
This supersedes the website, and you should understand that you can never go by a website for 100% accurate & up to date info.

I had intended to do a farewell piece on the HP, but Browning has none left & can't even get me one.
Denis
Old July 18, 2017, 02:54 PM   #9
g.willikers

Well Phooey.
I always meant to get one, guess it's too late.
On the other hand, maybe some HP owners won't hear the news and might put theirs up for sale without realizing.
Must stay optimistic.
There's plenty of clones around, too, if it comes to that.
Old July 18, 2017, 02:57 PM   #10
DPris
Member Emeritus

You can still find 'em in sales chains, Gun Genie lists a couple.
Browning just has no more to put into those chains.

You can find a new one if you look, but production's ended.
Denis
Old July 18, 2017, 03:31 PM   #11
libiglou

I bought mine several years ago and could not understand the near 1k price tag. I looked for weeks on gunbroker and finally snagged a hardly fired one for $600. Its a great gun. Only wish the trigger wasn't so gritty.I'm gonna send it out one day for the spa treatment. Guys get um while you can you know the prices are going to go up.
Old July 18, 2017, 04:11 PM   #12
WVsig

Well I guess I will just have to live with the 9+ in the safe and buying in the used market which I have been doing for the last 10+ years. I don't really see prices in the used market changing much. Most people who want one have one and there are still tons of surplus guns coming into the country via people like PW Arms, CDI and others.

People wouldn't pay $900 for a NIB gun in 2016-2017 why are they going to do it now. I love the BHP but Browning has not market it in the US and FN was waiting for the contracts to run out so they not longer had to support it.

There are so many BHPs in so many forms in the market place I cannot see pricing changing drastically.
Old July 18, 2017, 04:41 PM   #13
RickB

Why would anyone pay fifteen cents a round for rimfire ammo?
Or $5000 for a Colt Python?

Hi-Power prices spiked dramatically, about fifteen years ago when Browning said they weren't going to import them anymore, even though the guns were still in production.
Old July 18, 2017, 04:42 PM   #14
Super Sneaky Steve

I got mine. $900 is a fair price for a great piece of hardware. The bluing is the best of any handgun I own.
Old July 18, 2017, 05:01 PM   #15
Model12Win

Meh. Had one and sold it. Wasn't too impressive to shoot considering how much they were demanding for them. Historic guns though, soon to go the way of the Colt Python I'm sure. The Hi-Powers day has came and went. Much better defensive 9mms on the market these days, it's not 1935 anymore, gents.
Old July 18, 2017, 06:47 PM   #16
JoeSixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
Confirmation from Browning- Last shipment received in March, none available, production has ceased, equipment worn out.
Denis
Damn you gotta be kidding me.. that's the excuse? uh oh machine worn out, no more guns.

Fix or replace that and get back to work

Honestly I have no interest in the BHP but still said to hear this lame excuse for discontinuing it.

My uncle had a FEG BHP clone, awesome finish, shot well, never could warm up to it though.

Should have seen him baby that gun it was like his pride and joy.
Old July 18, 2017, 07:00 PM   #17
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSixpack View Post
Damn you gotta be kidding me.. that's the excuse? uh oh machine worn out, no more guns.

Fix or replace that and get back to work

Honestly I have no interest in the BHP but still said to hear this lame excuse for discontinuing it.

My uncle had a FEG BHP clone, awesome finish, shot well, never could warm up to it though.

Should have seen him baby that gun it was like his pride and joy.
Sales have not been good on the guns. Nobody feels compelled to pay nearly $1000 for what is essentially a bone stock, basic 9mm service pistol in 2017. This was just the straw that broke the camel's back for the BHP, at least from FN.

No point in retooling for a gun that is not in demand. So many used but good ones on the market, so many BETTER designs that have been made in the past 70 years that are available at a much more reasonable price. It will now become what it has been becoming for several years now, an elitist's safe queen pistol. Such as guns like the H&K P7 or Colt Python, they have a cult following with an inflated sense of self importance, and it's main use will be as a photo subject for internet braggarts.

They are better because they are old. They are better because they are discontinued, expensive, and because they have one and you do not.
Old July 18, 2017, 07:30 PM   #18
JoeSixpack

Well it makes sense if the gun is not profitable but that was not the excuse used.
Old July 18, 2017, 07:37 PM   #19
libiglou

I guess for those of you knocking them you could also say the same thing about the 1911. My feelin is if your a fan of the 1911 you have to be a fan of the BHP. They go hand in hand. There like brother and sister. Once you get some work done to the trigger it becomes one sweet shooting pistol. My buddies tuned BHP is fantastic
Old July 18, 2017, 08:04 PM   #20
WVsig

Quote:
No point in retooling for a gun that is not in demand. So many used but good ones on the market, so many BETTER designs that have been made in the past 70 years that are available at a much more reasonable price. It will now become what it has been becoming for several years now, an elitist's safe queen pistol. Such as guns like the H&K P7 or Colt Python, they have a cult following with an inflated sense of self importance, and it's main use will be as a photo subject for internet braggarts.

They are better because they are old. They are better because they are discontinued, expensive, and because they have one and you do not.
What an absurd statement. Maybe they are better in some peoples hands because the point naturally for them. They handle well and some individuals shoot them better than other pistols.

It has nothing to do with self importance it has everything to do with what an individual shoots well. I have several BHPs and there is one in the range bag everytime I go to the range. They work for me and none of them are safe queens. They all get shot, some more than others.

I agree that the used market has lots of supply. That is where I always buy mine. I have never bought a NIB BHP although I should have bought as many as I could afford at the time of the FN rollmarked guns back when CDNN was selling them for $400.

Also I am not sure your definition of BETTER is the same as mine.
Old July 18, 2017, 08:08 PM   #21
Lexspeed

Well, that is sad news about BHP's sunset.
My near mint 69C just got more precious to me.
Old July 18, 2017, 10:02 PM   #22
Ibmikey

My pre war Belgian Army issue, post war "E" series, Inglis, MarkII, two Mark III's and beautiful high polish Tangent Browning marked--pistols just became more dear to me.
Old July 19, 2017, 01:48 AM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

The really sad part about this is our consumer market, and its almost obsessive compulsive fixation on "collectables".

Very soon, every Hi Power will have at least a couple hundred dollars added to the asking price (no matter the condition) because "they ain't makin them no more, its collectable!"

AND people will pay it, pay more for a discontinued pistol than they would have paid for the same gun when it was current production, which, if they had bought it new, would have kept the gun in production.
Old July 19, 2017, 02:25 AM   #24
DPris
Member Emeritus

That's America for you.
God bless us each & every one.
Denis
Old July 19, 2017, 02:39 AM   #25
Hal

Quote:
It has the same models on both discontinued and current production.
Different calibers though. Looks like the 9 mm is still there & the .40 S&W is gone. You have to use the little drop down menu to see what's what.