The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 16, 2017, 10:15 PM   #1
Bill Daniel

Best long range shooting rangefinder for the money

Best range finder for the money. Tactical precision rifle shooting competition being the goal. Burris One Mile??

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old July 17, 2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Don Fischer

I get these blogs from Mossberg now and then. Got one yeaterday and it was about longrange shooting. I think they mentioned 7 thing's of most importance. One of those thing's was a rangefinder and the author suggested you could get good ones for $200 or less! Then he turned around and recommended a $1700 range finder, blew my mind. I do use a range finder but it was around $300 +/-. Leupold RXII. Got it ten or twelve years ago.

I don't shoot long range at game animals but if I'm gonna sit awhile, I scan the area I think I might have to shoot to figure out where every thing is then put it away.

If I was going to get into competitive long range shooting, I won't, I'd spend more on one for no other reason than I'd like to think it would be a lot better able to range things beyond about 650 yds. That's about what I fall into with my Leupold, works for me.

I don't recall the brand of range finder he mentioned, one I've never heard of. But then there are lot's of things I've never heard of!
Old July 17, 2017, 09:37 AM   #3
MarkCO

SIG Kilo2000 is the best for the money. Don't even bother with the 2200 or the 2400, more bells and whistles, but no more range. There are better rangefinders at the $2K+ price point, but this one will get you what you need. Seen them as low as $350, usually between that and $400. A tripod mount is helpful once you get out past about 800. The Vortex is about the same price, but maybe 60% of the range, just for comparison.

I have ranged elk at 1400 and steel plates a tad further. It is what I use for hunting and precision rifle matches.

Burris does not make a rangefinder anymore. Bushnell makes the 1 mile ARC, the SIG is better and about half the price.
Old July 18, 2017, 07:07 PM   #4
ronl

I'll second the Sig Kilo 2000. Best rangefinder for the money out there.