The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 20, 2013, 02:53 PM   #1
bikerbill

BOOK Report: Gunfight

Sounds like another look at the OK Corral, but it's actually a very thoughtful look at the 2A, how we got to Heller and, at least in author Adam Winkler's view, why the government will never be able to confiscate our guns ...

Winkler is a constitutional law prof (yep, just like Barry) at UCLA and while he is not a rabid gun fan, he does offer both sides of the current argument. He points out and emphasizes that we have always had both gun control and the freedom to own personal firearms.

While I learned a lot, mostly historical, this would be an excellent read for a friend or relative who's on the control side of the issue; I think it would convince him or her of the importance of the 2A in modern life and why the freedom to own and carry guns for SD is something worth fighting for.
Old February 20, 2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

I have it on the shelf. It is a good read and fairly objective.
Old February 20, 2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

I downloaded the "trial snipped," about 40 pages or so, to my Kindle recently. It certainly looks like a good read, and read it I will.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

I thought it was an excellent book.

Some of the folks involved with Calguns put on a little dinner some time back, and he spoke. I sat at his table and had a good opportunity to speak with him.

He is thoughtful and even handed on the subject of guns and gun rights. I think he takes a very realistic view of things, although his perspective will raise some eyebrows among Second Amendment absolutists.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old February 20, 2013, 08:17 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I think he takes a very realistic view of things, although his perspective will raise some eyebrows among Second Amendment absolutists.
That's what I've taken away from his work as well. He's somewhat in the middle, and his grasp of political reality is firm.