The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 26, 2017, 12:48 AM   #1
BluRidgDav

Vertical fore-grips for the KelTec KSG?

The KSG has an aluminum picatinny top rail for mounting sights, etc. It also has a polymer rail as part of the fore-end under the dual magazine tubes. Many KSG owners mount vertical fore-grips, which are used to help cycle (pump) the action. But, I have personally seen one KSG that had broken "teeth" on it's lower polymer rail, and I have read of at least a few more broken rails, due to vertical fore-grips that concentrate the force of pumping the action onto too few teeth.

Which fore-grips will work without breakage, and which models should be avoided?

I have even seen an after-market full-length aluminum "over-rail" that provides a metal interface for reinforcement. Is this necessary?

Thanx, Dave.
Old June 26, 2017, 07:48 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The latest KSG's have a reinforced lower rail that won't break easily.

The best vertical front grip is the MagPul version.
It has a better double bolt and clamping system that grips tighter and spreads the load better.
It seems to be the preferred default VFG:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod72630.aspx

Most of the broken lower KSG rails were on the early version guns, AND it appears that what actually may have happened is that people were using the vertical grip as a handle while attempting to unscrew the very tight muzzle nut.
In any case, most all of them were broken off SIDEWAYS, not toward the front or back, which is the way they would have broken if being pulled or pushed.

It also looks like the broken guns were fitted with cheap, cheesy VFG's that didn't grip very well and on the early guns the combination of the rail and the VFG just weren't up to the job.

I'm not sure the rather expensive aluminum fit-over lower rail is necessary, or even all that strong.
It too is just attached with a couple of screws.
It would add some extra strength, but I added a MagPul VFG to my new KSG and it doesn't feel to me like it can be broken very easily.

Last edited by Dfariswheel; June 26, 2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old June 26, 2017, 08:12 PM   #3
JoeSixpack

I don't have a KSG but i'd probably go with the Magpul RVG.

I've got a couple of the chinese knock off's (sorry magpul ), they feel good in the hand and are pretty meaty on rail length, they're also not overly long vertically.

I'd avoid the MP5K style nub grips those usually have small bases.
Old June 26, 2017, 08:40 PM   #4
Screwball

Yea, if you buy a current production KSG, and go with a quality vertical grip... don't worry. I got mine after the election (figured I'd try to buy something since my dealer did stock up in case Hillary got in; bought a Tavor, as well), and run the Magpul Vertical Grip right on the forend.

With that being said, doing stupid crap with a bullpup isn't as forgiving as doing with a traditional rifle/shotgun. That barrel is right at the end of that 26.1" shotgun. Magazine dumping a KSG might seem fun, but your hand gets in front of that muzzle, and your wife/girlfriend will be opening the jars in the household. That is another part of the injuries that isn't as brought up when people start saying how bad KelTec is. Lose respect for a 12 Gauge shotgun, and bad stuff can happen.

I personally run the SMT choke tube adapter on my KSG. It extends the barrel out another two inches, and allows for Remington chokes to be used (chokes were my primary focus). If your hand gets in front of the forend, you have a little more protection before you start losing the ability to pick your nose with your weak hand.
Old June 27, 2017, 11:48 AM   #5
BluRidgDav

Thanx Guys!

D - Glad to hear that newer KSG's have improved rails, and I'll avoid using a vertical fore-grip as a disassembly bracing tool.

Initially, I looked at MagPul's angled fore-grips (AFG1/AFG2), since these appear to spread the load out along a large portion of the rail. Then, I noticed that AFG's are actually attached to the rail using only one bolt. So, while side-to-side torque may be mitigated, fore & aft pumping forces will be concentrated on a single cross-slot.

I like the fact that MagPul's RVG uses two bolts. At first glance, due to its shorter mounting interface, it "appeared" that the RVG would not spread out the racking forces as well as the AFG's. (I guess looks can be deceiving.)

I already have an RVG on an M4. Think I'll move it over for some testing.

Thanx again, Dave.

Last edited by BluRidgDav; June 27, 2017 at 01:21 PM.