The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 22, 2017, 05:57 PM   #1
Rockrivr1

BYF 43 RC K98 Ammo/Range Report

Finally was able to acquire a nice BYF 43 Russian Capture K98 last weekend for a little under $400. It came with a period correct sling as well as the cleaning rod and front site hood. Though I believe the hood is a reproduction. Bore/rifling/crown are in good shape as well.

Took her to the range on Tuesday to see how well she would group. I brought two different types of ammo. The bulk of it was 198gr PPU SP, which worked OK. I also had a box of Federal 170gr SP that my LGS had one box of that I bought. While the PPU was OK I was starting to think the K98 I had was just Minute of Manish. That is until I shot the Federal and the groups tightened up considerably.

These targets are at 100 yards shooting off the bench.

PPU

Federal

The POI was considerably different so I had to adjust my aim for the Federal. The low left hits were at the beginning of the string. Once I figured out the aim point I was able to tighten the group much better.

Overall I do need to tweak the sites a little as she is hitting left so I'm compensating with Kentucky windage. Forgot my front site adjustment tool that I'll bring during my next outing.

A friend has some Yugo M75 that I'm going to try and see how it works.
Old June 24, 2017, 04:44 AM   #2
JT-AR-MG42

Looks to be a very nice shooter and a heck of a buy at the same time.

I've looked at a lot of War 1 and 2 98s over the years.

Yours is the first Oberndorf I've seen with an 'overstamp' error (factory) model stamping.
I would have bought that one without hesitation.

JT
Old June 24, 2017, 10:02 AM   #3
Rockrivr1

Quote:
Yours is the first Oberndorf I've seen with an 'overstamp' error (factory) model stamping.
I would have bought that one without hesitation.

JT
Interesting. I wasn't sure what to make of the overstamp. Thought it might have been something the Russians did when they put their stamp on it.

Thanks for pointing it out.