The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 22, 2017, 11:31 AM   #1
Rangegod

SRM 1216

Took the new shotgun to the range this morning with a selection of various ammo I had on hand. Ammo included Remington slugs (80+ rds), Remington and Winchester 00 Buck (25+rds) (Note; the Rem stuff was from the 1960's), Federal #4 Magnum Buck and 00 Tactical Buck, and a few rounds of Rio 00 buck for good measure. In total 130 to 140 rounds were fired, which is about all my 65 year old shoulder wanted for one range trip.

The slugs were the Measured Recoil load and functioned flawlessly. I sighted in the AimPoint with these at 25 yards. The Winchester loads were hot in comparison, but the Federal Magnums were a real wake up call, to say the least! The Rio were also stronger than I expected. All of these ran well and without problems. The Federal Tactical load recoil felt the lightest and these were the only load that failed to cycle the bolt on three rounds. This only required a stroke of the charging handle to correct. Hopefully, this is a "break in " issue as I have a large volume of the Tactical load in inventory. I've have seen reports that after a hundred or so rounds the gun should cycle heavy field loads, so we will see.

When I got back from the range, I cleaned the gun and found it was not very dirty considering the number of rounds fired. I also found no signs of ware, in fact I'm not sure where the bolt rides in the receiver as there are no signs of metal to metal contact (yet?).

Overall, I'm very impressed and happy with the gun. It was 100% reliable (with full power loads) right out of the box. Recoil was well controlled, given the fact that this is a "roller-locking" delayed blow-back design and not a soft shooting "gas" gun. Plus the control ergonomics and the ability to easily add "tactical" enhancements is outstanding.

That's all for now.

JAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0331.JPG (142.7 KB, 248 views)