The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 3, 2002, 04:04 PM   #1
Aahzz

"Tactical" shotgun for deer?

OK, here's the question. I have yet to hunt, but I'm planning to give it a shot next season (was going to this season, but birth of first child made life WAY too busy!). In CT, I'm limited to shotgun on public lands. I'm currently in the market for an HD shotgun, with the Benelli Nova currently leading the pack. Will an 18.5" cylinder bore suffice for deer? I know it'll handle rifled slugs, and it has rifle sights rather than a simple bead...what else would I need? Obviously, a seperate gun set up for deer would be a better choice, but do I have a chance with something like this?
Old January 3, 2002, 04:18 PM   #2
Biathlonman

Sight it in with your given rifled slugs and go hunting...

Should about cover it !

Simply smooth bore shotgun with rifled slugs is all we can hunt with in Ohio and every year you can count on our family bringing home a whole bunch of venison!
Old January 3, 2002, 04:37 PM   #3
inGobwetrust

Aahzz,

I've shot a 200 lb. boar with my Beretta 1201FP. I used Breneke slugs and they worked great. Range was about 40 yards. Deer should be no problem if you do your part and keep your shots in the range that you can hit at.
Old January 3, 2002, 05:16 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

It's not particularly different than a rifle, other than the relatively shorter ranges involved: Sight it in appropriately for the trajectory, and then bite the bullet and spend the money for a box or two of practicing.

I always suggest offhand shooting or from a hasty rest, and at a small target. If you can hit by that method, you'll generally do okay.

Art
Old January 3, 2002, 06:11 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

Art n the others right. If you shoot it well enough to be proficient enough for home defense......plenty good for fillin the freezer.

Sam
Old January 3, 2002, 06:52 PM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

All my shotguns are tactical.

Just got back from shooting some PMC Brenneke slugs. Out of 2X stock 870s - one with an 18" iron-sighted bbl, the other a 21" vent rib w/double bead, ~1.5" from the first & ~3" with the latter.

Plenty good for deer.
Old January 4, 2002, 02:29 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My deer gun doubles as a backup HD tool, and my HD shotgun has taken quite a few deer. Both are 870s, have extended mags, peep sights, cone and trigger work, and the other bells, whistles, fuzzy dice and fender skirts.

One groups its slug of choice into a bit over 4" at 100 yards, the other less than 5". Between them, at least 10 deer this last decade. The older one has also done well in the shotgun leg of 3 gun and "Practical" matches, and I've done demos with both when instructing that impress the heck out of tyros.

You might want to check out the Shotgun BB and the Archives, this has come up plenty.