The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 12, 2001, 06:28 PM   #1
riverdog

S&W and the HUD deal

http://www.jointogether.org/gv/wire/...ject_ID=545249

Looks to me as though S&W may be getting ready to void the agreement or rather memorandum of understanding using the current administrations terminology. It's about time ...
Old August 12, 2001, 07:00 PM   #2
Marko Kloos

That's all fine and good, but I won't buy a new *&* until the agreement has been officially renounced by the company. If and when that happens, I'll happily buy new *&* products again, but until I see something in print to that effect, I'll stick to used ones.

In the last six months I have literally spent thousands of dollars on fine, used *&* revolvers, $3500 by conservative estimate. My shopping list includes a Mountain Gun, a 296 in .44 Special, a .32 H&R Mag snubbie, a Mountain Gun Light, a 610 in 10mm, and a few others. I'd be more than happy to shell out hard currency and have my gun shop order them new, but as far as things stand right now, I'll have to continue searching the gun shows.

I visited two gun shows this weekend where many of the above were offered NIB. I had the cash in pocket, but I passed them up in favor of used models.

As soon as they publically renounce the agreement, I'll be placing an order with my local gun shop that will keep two *&* gunsmiths paid for a month.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old August 12, 2001, 08:16 PM   #3
Waitone

While talking with my friendly gunstore shooters I was told the local S&W rep was in and to this day does not think the company did anything wrong. An apology was not necessary since nothing was done that deserved an apology.

I am gratified HUD is ignoring the "agreement." That is not the same as S&W actively taking the legal actions to challenge or void the "agreement." Once again it is easier to let something happen than it is to make something happen.

S&W is deluding itself by thinking they are out of the woods just because a criminal/governmental organization has backed off.

I'm in the market for a short snout revolver, but it will not be a S&W.
Old August 12, 2001, 08:28 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Lots of beating around the bush (no pun intended) to say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about what will happen when the next Democrat occupies the White House and the agreement has NOT been voided.

Until S&W FORMALLY, for all the world to hear, renounces the agreement, they can go pound sand.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 12, 2001, 08:29 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Waitone,

Wow. I'd like to meet that rep.

So I could spit in his face the way he's spitting on not only my rights, but his job.

What a jackass.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 12, 2001, 09:08 PM   #6
riverdog

I was interested in the statement:
"... Smith & Wesson said the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the agency assigned to oversee the agreement, is not following through on the deal.

The company has not had any contact with HUD officials, and it remains listed as a defendant in many gun lawsuits. ..."

To me that indicates a move on S&W's part to distance themselves from the agreement, giving them grounds to void the agreement based on breech by the government -- we'll see. Could be wishful thinking though. As others stated, until they make the official announcement nothing changes.

lendringser -- like you, I've purchased a bunch of S&W's from the previously owned market. Currently have six previously owned S&W's. I've never owned a new S&W, what's it like (referencing your "new" M-13)

Last edited by riverdog; August 12, 2001 at 10:35 PM.