The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 5, 2017, 03:04 PM   #1
darkslash

Stripping Henry 22 Receiver Cover

Hey!

So I just purchased Henrys entry level 22 lever action. I decided that I didnt want to spend the extra $ on the Golden Boy for what seems to be mainly aesthetics. With that said, I have been seeing people do an awesome job stripping that black paint off the receiver cover to reveal a nice polished metal.

I am interested in doing this, but have a question. I have been reading that people are stripping, buffing, and then finishing with a solvent resistant clear coat. That last part is what I am curious about. Is this a necessary step? Is there any reason that leaving this bare metal exposed would cause a problem? Obviously I would keep it oiled and protected with Eezox or something similar like I do all my guns. Is there something in particular about the material used in this cover that would make you want to clear coat it? Is this to maybe avoid a patina from developing?

Hopefully someone here has experience with this, and can give some advice.

Heres a pic of one that has it done:

Old May 5, 2017, 03:55 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

RUST!
Old May 5, 2017, 03:59 PM   #3
O4L

I don't know what kind of metal/alloy they are made from but it would be interesting to know if some cold blue would work on it.
Old May 5, 2017, 04:04 PM   #4
darkslash

Quote:
RUST!
Well yes I assumed so But if I was to keep it oiled, would it not just develop a nice patina but stay healthy? I kinda like the idea of letting it look natural rather than all super slick with a permanent clear coat.

Obviously I dont want it to rust and pit away, but I would take care of it like any other gun I own
Old May 5, 2017, 04:23 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

No rust possible, it's a Zamak 5 alloy, non-ferrous.
It could develop a certain patina.
Won't take a bluing.
Doubt it'd pit, but I suppose it's possible.
Denis
Old May 5, 2017, 04:27 PM   #6
darkslash

Quote:
It could develop a certain patina.
Won't take a bluing.
Doubt it'd pit, but I suppose it's possible.
Denis
Wow really? Thats actually pretty good news. I wonder why people are clear coating them then.. maybe I should ask around and see why one would do this. I guess its to keep it free from patina and and long term corrosion from finger prints and such.

I personally like a nice patina and worn metal look, so if rust is not a problem I may just brush it with some fine steel wool and call it a day.
Old May 5, 2017, 05:26 PM   #7
COSteve

I did mine a number of years ago and what happens is the the cover doesn't stay good looking. So, like the picture you have, I painted it. That's the only way you'll get such an even look to the cover.

I went to a hobby shop and picked up some LustreKote aluminum model aircraft paint because it's formulated to resist fuel so it also resists the rifle cleaning compounds.

Old May 5, 2017, 08:13 PM   #8
darkslash

Quote:
I did mine a number of years ago and what happens is the the cover doesn't stay good looking. So, like the picture you have, I painted it. That's the only way you'll get such an even look to the cover.

I went to a hobby shop and picked up some LustreKote aluminum model aircraft paint because it's formulated to resist fuel so it also resists the rifle cleaning compounds.
Do you think it would wind up looking like this? IMO its kinda cool if so

Old May 6, 2017, 02:42 AM   #9
ballisti

Cerrokote.
Old May 6, 2017, 09:41 AM   #10
COSteve

Quote:
Do you think it would wind up looking like this? IMO its kinda cool if so
Nope, that was a finish they developed to give it a quasi case hardened look.

Check out RimFire Central's Henry forum HERE.
Old May 6, 2017, 11:55 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I decided that I didnt want to spend the extra $ on the Golden Boy for what seems to be mainly aesthetics.
I did, but not for the aesthetics of the brass frame. At the time the GB was the only offering with the hexagon barrel which I thought looked so much better, and authentic, than the round barrel.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 7, 2017, 06:39 AM   #12
darkslash

Quote:
I did, but not for the aesthetics of the brass frame. At the time the GB was the only offering with the hexagon barrel which I thought looked so much better, and authentic, than the round barrel.
Ah yes, I do agree with this. I held both before buying and I did like the hex barrel much more. Its was around $150 more though and I just couldnt justify it. I figured I could buy tons of good quality 22LR with the saved money.

Anyway, Im sure Ill be getting a 2nd, high caliber lever in the near future I can get a hex barrel then
Old May 7, 2017, 11:34 AM   #13
DPris
Member Emeritus

Not a brass frame on the GB.
Both it & the entry level version use the same Zamak 5 internal receiver & external receiver cover.
No brass.
Just different finishes.
Denis
Old May 7, 2017, 11:56 AM   #14
Pahoo

No rust possible, oxidation is another thing.

Quote:
That's got it and a couple of years ago, confirmed this with the company.

I have not had this experience but a dealer friend of mine, has does a "clear" refinishing process on Aluminum rims. He also redid a henry. Basically polishes them, applies a special primer and a satin finish coat. Not sure if he bakes it and I suppose will eventually wear off. I do know that is' a tough coat. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 7, 2017, 12:20 PM   #15
Hawg

Quote:
The barrel is octagonal. I like that and the deep drop in the stock.
Old May 8, 2017, 09:32 AM   #16
COSteve

Quote:
I did, but not for the aesthetics of the brass frame. At the time the GB was the only offering with the hexagon barrel which I thought looked so much better, and authentic, than the round barrel
Actually, the barrel is an octagon, not a hexagon.

Further, the rifle length H001T Frontier model has a 20" octagon barrel while the carbine length H001 Carbine has an 18" round barrel. These are consistent with the original Winchester Model 1892s approach where the carbine has a round barrel and the rifle may have an octagon one.

Of note, Henry adds a rifle length buttstock to both their H001 and H001T models which makes the carbine (H001) look a bit odd. It's actually longer than the stock on a Winchester Model 1892 carbine. As you can see below, the Henry H001 Carbine's buttstock is longer than the 1892 Carbine's above it.

Luckily, for those of us who want a little 22 that's scaled consistently to it's Winchester counterpart, Henry also makes a Youth model, H001Y, that has a shorter buttstock. It's the same length as the original Winchester 1892 Carbine as you can see below.

Comparing the 2 buttstocks directly on the same Henry H001 yields the following composite picture. Even at 5' 10" with long arms, I find the carbine length buttstock makes the little Henry feel more natural as a scaled down version of my full size 1892s.

Old May 8, 2017, 06:34 PM   #17
osbornk

I have had the standard Henry for a few years and I like it in stock form. I have no desire to change it. Of course, being old, I just like things that work well regardless of how they look.