The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2015, 09:05 AM   #1
9mmSkeeter

Oops

So the other night I was done with the powder in my hopper. I had win231 in there and went to dump the rest of the powder back into the jar. Well, I saw "winchester" but foolishly wasn't paying attention so I ended up mixing about 1/2 cup of 231 into my Auto Comp. They use similar charge weights. It's imossible to tell the difference between the grains in the jar so I can't seperate it. As it stands the ratio is about 1/2 cup of 231 mixed in about 14 oz of Auto Comp. I shook it up real good thinking I'd disperse the grains sparsely. Should I just chuck the 1 lb jar in the garbage?

Last edited by 9mmSkeeter; March 30, 2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old March 30, 2015, 09:25 AM   #2
rclark

Evidently you don't abide by the golden rule of "The only powder bottle on the bench, is the one that is being used" . Chuck it. You might know how they act separately, but not together. Chuck it (use as fertilizer).
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 30, 2015, 09:26 AM   #3
hanno

Use it on the lawn.

Quote:
They use similar charge weights.
The Hodgdon reloading data site lists very different starting and max loads for the two powders. For example, for .45 ACP, the Win 231 max loads are below the Auto Comp start loads.

Bad juju
Old March 30, 2015, 09:48 AM   #4
9mmSkeeter

I'll chuck it and use the money I'd save from not having a doctor visit to buy a couple pounds of clay dot (I like it better anyways).

I love cheap lessons.
Old March 30, 2015, 10:29 AM   #5
Travis15

Seems like a few people on here have done this lately.
Old March 30, 2015, 10:56 AM   #6
hanno

Quote:
I'll chuck it and use the money I'd save from not having a doctor visit to buy a couple pounds of clay dot (I like it better anyways).

I love cheap lessons.
Good call. Nobody likes dumping powder but powder can be replaced easily enough. Not so for fingers.

Last edited by hanno; March 30, 2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old March 30, 2015, 11:21 AM   #7
mikld

Hmmm. Isn't this about the third "I mixed my powders, what do I do?" thread this week? Others are being nice so I'll be the jerk; Open yer eyes! There is no excuse for mixing powders! If you can't pay enough attention to your reloading to keep your powders separate, then just buy factory ammo. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of posts/threads about how to avoid mixing powders so did you not pay attention or did you not think that info pertained to you? The most basic and simplest method (and it has been repeated many, many times) is to have only one container of powder out of storage and on the bench!

OK done with that. I don't think that I have enough experience/knowledge in 30 years of reloading to fool with mixed powders or duplex loads, so I'd chalk it up as experience and toss your "blend"...
Old March 30, 2015, 11:29 AM   #8
hanno

Quote:
The most basic and simplest method (and it has been repeated many, many times) is to have only one container of powder out of storage and on the bench!
One more fail safe - label your powder dropper with the powder in use (a post-it note and rubber band works fine for this).
Old March 30, 2015, 02:52 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

I would

I would use it.

I believe 231 is faster than Auto Comp. Knowing that, I would take my Auto Comp load recipes, back them down by 10%, and work up from there. I bet in the end, I could probably end up with virtually the same loads as I started. But, I would play it safe (at least in my book) and keep (edit): the mixed powder for middle-of-the-road range shooters - nothing real potent. Something that shoots nice and runs clean in the gun.

That's just would I would do; and is not a recommendation for anybody else. All I am saying is that doing so would be within my comfort level. Other's may feel otherwise, and any other viewpoint is certainly worthy of respect.

Last edited by Nick_C_S; March 30, 2015 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old March 30, 2015, 04:51 PM   #10
DaleA

Quote:
Hmmm. Isn't this about the third "I mixed my powders, what do I do?"
Yeah. I'm thinking Mercury in Retrograde...maybe Biorhythms out of sync or possibly...A DISTURBANCE IN THE FORCE!!!

I might go get a good luck horseshoe to hang over my reloading bench. I don't believe in such nonsense but folks that know about such things tell me it'll work whether I believe in it or not.
Old March 30, 2015, 06:47 PM   #11
9mmSkeeter

I wouldn't go back to factory ammo if you paid me to. There are mistakes in reloading, that's why we live and learn (and sometimes have surgery).
Old March 30, 2015, 07:39 PM   #12
FITASC

Do not throw it in the garbage, spread it on some flowers
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 30, 2015, 07:57 PM   #13
9MMand223only

231 and Autocomp are nearly the same burn rates, and very very similar charge weights, overlapping charge weights...

So with 9 MM 115 grain RN ammo, using the same OAL, the starting charge is:

4.4 and 4.3 respectively.

how do you know its unsafe? Because its not in a manual? Why is it unsafe? What leads you to believe its unsafe. Where did you read its not safe? Who said its not safe, and where is the documentation and test to prove it?

This is not like mixing pistol powders with rifle powders and shooting that in a rifle...this is 2 ALMOST THE SAME burn rate, similar, overlapping charge powders.

Does mixing autocomp and 231 make nitro? Dynamite? C4?

Reality check: Just because its not in a manual/guide doesn't make it a BOMB nec...

These people who think their city blows up if they mix anything are just fear mongering. My question to you is simple.

Ok, you got VV 3N37 and VV 3n38

your loading 3n37. So my question is...if you mix in 3n38, how many granules does it take until you blow up your hand?

its mass hysteria! cats living with dogs!

load the faster powder specs? it doesn't take a rocket scientist. Its very basic to understand. Its just going to be marginally weaker than the faster powder spec, depending on % of slower powder. Or not, and flush it down the toilet because you could kill yourself? But the reason you could kill yourself is just because Hanno said so, with no rational, no reasoning, no backup, no proof, no example, no math, no science, no study, no MSDS data, nothing...just a simple...

better than blowing off your hand!

LOL man, you are too much. But I am special, my hand grows back, I guess? lol come on..
Old March 30, 2015, 08:04 PM   #14
hanno

Quote:
But the reason you could kill yourself is just because Hanno said so, with no rational, no reasoning, no backup, no proof, no example, no math, no science, no study, no MSDS data, nothing...just a simple...
9MMand223only, please point out where I said he could kill himself. Let me know when you find it.

Or, is unfounded trash talk your idea of a discussion?

Here is what I actually said above:
"Good call. Nobody likes dumping powder but powder can be replaced easily enough. Not so for fingers."

Quote:
how do you know its unsafe? Because its not in a manual? Why is it unsafe? What leads you to believe its unsafe. Where did you read its not safe? Who said its not safe, and where is the documentation and test to prove it?
How do I know it is unsafe? Well, for starters, I have read the warnings on the Hodgdon and Alliant sites. I would assume any competent reloader using any of their powders has done the same. I believe these companies know something about powder. I'll rely on their knowledge and experience.

I have also read Speer 14 and NRA Guide to Reloading among others. What one chooses to do with the info is a matter of individual choice. My choice is to error on the side of caution. Hence my recommendation to 9mmSkeeter.

Hodgdon
Quote:
Never mix any two powders regardless of type, brand, or source. Never substitute any smokeless powder for Black Powder or any Black Powder substitute.
Alliant
Quote:
Never mix any two powders regardless of type, brand, or source.
Never substitute any smokeless powder for Black Powder or its substitute.
Speer Reloading Manual 14, pg 71:
"Never mix propellants. To do so is the height of folly!..."

NRA Guide to Reloading, pg 6:
"Never mix powders or substitute one powder for another."

National Reloading Manufacturers Association Safety Rules
(excerpted in the NRA Guide to Reloading, pg 108):
"NEVER mix powders of different kinds."

I recommended 9mmSkeeter put it on the lawn. That is what I would do. Of course, 9mmSkeeter and anyone else is free to ignore that advice.

Last edited by hanno; March 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old March 30, 2015, 11:32 PM   #15
boondocker385

Grind it and make fireworks!
Old March 31, 2015, 01:19 AM   #16
hartcreek

I have a one pound bottle that I labeled junk powder. I would dump it all into this junk powder bottle. One of these days that bottle will be full and I will use it to blow up a stump but not for reloading.
Old March 31, 2015, 05:01 AM   #17
1100 tac

Wouldn't scare me. But I would be very cautious....
Old March 31, 2015, 05:02 AM   #18
1100 tac

boondocker, how do you grind smokeless powder??
Old March 31, 2015, 06:08 AM   #19
skizzums

I have been playing with loading down .38spl for plinking. I am down to less than a grain of powder to a 158gr wadcutter. they are really fun to shoot. if I had mixed powder, I would use it for those. no way in hell your ever going to create dangerous pressure with .8gr of powder. I would not go near even the starting load for either powder, if you don't have any revolvers to play with reduced charges then chuck it. you could also probably make a fun reduced charge for a bolt-action too.
Old March 31, 2015, 07:42 AM   #20
Jim243

I like the idea of using it as fertilizer, have you seen the prices of fertilizer recently? One pound should make your garden grow, the quality of soil today is really poor.

Now if you are really a MAD scientist you could use it to make solid fuel model rocket engines. (Yes Virginia, it is rocket science) Remember there are laws regarding the making of explosive devices so make sure they do not explode but just burn.

Adding nitrates to the water treatment system is not a good idea (algae really loves those nitrates), so you would be better off dumping the powder onto your plants as fertilizer than adding additional cost to your city for waste water treatment.

Just some thoughts on the matter.

Good luck and stay safe.
Jim
Old March 31, 2015, 08:17 AM   #21
TimSr

Quote:
Hodgdon
Quote:
Never mix any two powders regardless of type, brand, or source. Never substitute any smokeless powder for Black Powder or any Black Powder substitute.

Alliant
Quote:
Never mix any two powders regardless of type, brand, or source.
Never substitute any smokeless powder for Black Powder or its substitute.

Speer Reloading Manual 14, pg 71:
"Never mix propellants. To do so is the height of folly!..."

NRA Guide to Reloading, pg 6:
"Never mix powders or substitute one powder for another."

National Reloading Manufacturers Association Safety Rules
(excerpted in the NRA Guide to Reloading, pg 108):
"NEVER mix powders of different kinds."

.....yeah, but I'm going to stick with "anonymous guy on internet forum" because everybody knows the big greedy reloader lobby have conspired to sell you an extra ppound of powder when you screw up.
Old March 31, 2015, 08:20 AM   #22
Gadawg88

9MMand223only - you are certainly free to experiment with mixing powders and any other off the book reloading practice you like as long as you are not putting others at risk i.e. at the range. But, to suggest it to others is irresponsible.
Old March 31, 2015, 09:27 AM   #23
JeepHammer

Take it outside,
Poke it with a stick.

If it doesn't entertain you,
Hit it with a rock.

If it still doesn't entertain you,
Pour gas on it and shoot fireballs at it.

I suggest roman candles, good standoff distance...

Get it 'Right' and you will get a mini-mushroom cloud!
That's ALWAYS entertaining...
Old March 31, 2015, 09:42 AM   #24
skizzums

if you do end up loading the mixed powder, despite the thread of suggestive "NO's", please let us know how it went. and if your gun explodes, please post pics, everyone likes pics of KABOOMS.

it would be kind of cool to take an old beater revolver, take some pistol powder and some 50bmg powder mixed, take some high speed pics of the huge fireballs. maybe fun in a ransom rest about 25 yards away though. probably wouldn't even burn and you would just have sticks of powder flying all over, who knows
Old March 31, 2015, 09:43 AM   #25
hanno

Quote:
Take it outside,
Poke it with a stick.

If it doesn't entertain you,
Hit it with a rock.

If it still doesn't entertain you,
Pour gas on it and shoot fireballs at it.

I suggest roman candles, good standoff distance...

Get it 'Right' and you will get a mini-mushroom cloud!
That's ALWAYS entertaining...