The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 5, 2013, 01:00 PM   #1
BarryLee

Mother Banned Because of Weapons Permit

Georgia Army Veteran Tanya Mount like a lot of people received a carry permit and decided to post about it on her Facebook page along with pictures of kids Trick or Treating and pork loin recipes.

Afterwards while visiting her daughter’s school she was approached by School Police Officers and told to leave the premises or be issued a trespassing violation. The Officer told her the Principal was scared of her and asked if she had been in the Army and if she had a permit. When contacted the Principal Janina Davis admitted the trespass warning was issued over the Facebook post and stated, “It is my duty and responsibility as the principal of this school to ensure the safety and security of all our faculty, staff and students".

Ms. Mount has since transferred her daughter to another school and stated, “I am a private person. However, after serving OUR country, it is my DUTY to make sure that our lives are not infringed upon. However, do it all within the confinements of the LAW, I am a law-abiding citizen," While there may be more to this story it is really difficult to see how this can be anything but harassment.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/05...cmp=latestnews
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 5, 2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

I suggest we reserve judgement on this until more facts come to light.

A few weeks ago, there was a panic story about a couple of kids suspended for supposedly shooting a pellet gun on private property. Upon further examination, both children had a history of bullying, and they were shooting at other children at a bus stop.

I've heard too many stories that go "I was minding my own business, and the police hassled me" that are really "I was minding my own business except for ____________ and ___________, and the police hassled me."
Old November 5, 2013, 01:31 PM   #3
KyJim

If the story is correct, she wasn't asked to leave because she was carrying weapons but because she had a permit and/or posted a picture of it on Facebook. She was exercising her free speech rights when posting the picture and exercising at least a statutory right in obtaining a permit. Both were done off campus. She should sue the school for violating those rights.
Old November 5, 2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Beretta686

Quote:
I suggest we reserve judgement on this until more facts come to light.

A few weeks ago, there was a panic story about a couple of kids suspended for supposedly shooting a pellet gun on private property. Upon further examination, both children had a history of bullying, and they were shooting at other children at a bus stop.

I've heard too many stories that go "I was minding my own business, and the police hassled me" that are really "I was minding my own business except for ____________ and ___________, and the police hassled me."
Wise words indeed.

But it's so much fun to get all riled up in rabble rabble rabble outrage, instead of worrying about things like facts, evidence or trying to get a complete picture of what occurred.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old November 5, 2013, 01:46 PM   #5
madmo44mag

Facebook = A place stupid comments come home to roost!

I hate social media.
It seems a simple statement can be twisted into a hornets nest.
Best to keep your head down and mouth shut these days.
Old November 5, 2013, 01:55 PM   #6
jimbob86

Quote:
Afterwards while visiting her daughter’s school she was approached by School Police Officers and told to leave the premises or be issued a trespassing violation. The Officer told her the Principal was scared of her and asked if she had been in the Army and if she had a permit. When contacted the Principal Janina Davis admitted the trespass warning was issued over the Facebook post and stated, “It is my duty and responsibility as the principal of this school to ensure the safety and security of all our faculty, staff and students".
Just what does having been in the Army have to do with anything?

Is Principal Janina Davis afraid of people who have Served?

Quote:
Ms. Mount has since transferred her daughter to another school and stated, “I am a private person.

....then don't put stuff on FaceBook .... that's Public.
Old November 5, 2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Pahoo

Loose lips; Sink ships !!!

Quote:
A place stupid comments come home to roost!
Understand that I am a person who is private and protective and on the threshold of paranoid. Not only for myself but for others as well. Never understand the purpose of sharing personal information, especially with total strangers. If you find that a Social media adds to your physiological well being, so be it. My Sister-in-law, is currently posting about four times a day. Knowing her as well as I do, all it says, is; LOOK AT ME !!! ....

Be Private and;
Be Safe !!!
Old November 5, 2013, 02:35 PM   #8
RX-79G

Posting your CCL on Facebook is like wearing a windbreaker that says SECRET AGENT on the back.
Old November 5, 2013, 03:06 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

wow....

No mention of there actually being a weapon carried. Absent other information, I have to wonder if anyone displaying this level of fear, profiling, and apparent bigotry is a suitable person to be working with or around children.

Apparently, fear is the killer of reason...
Old November 5, 2013, 03:18 PM   #10
jimbob86

Quote:
Apparently, fear is the killer of reason...
Phobias are, by definition, irrational fears.

Irrational statist is irrational. Who'dathunkit?
Old November 5, 2013, 03:25 PM   #11
shortwave

Quote:
Posting your CCL on Facebook is like wearing a windbreaker that says SECRET AGENT on the back
I don't do Facebook or go around with a shirt on that states 'I have my CCL', but am not ashamed, scared or hide the fact either. If asked if I have one or my thoughts toward them, I'll tell ya.

CCL's are legal and someone that posses one should not be in fear for having it or stand for being discriminated against for having it either.
Old November 5, 2013, 03:59 PM   #12
SIGSHR

I learned the principle of "No Need To Know" when I joined the Army in 1967.
I am a fanatic when it comes to Free Expression and 1st Amendment rights,
but I also believe Discretion is the Better Part of Valor-and many other things.
Old November 5, 2013, 05:10 PM   #13
kilimanjaro

Maybe there is more to this than said, but I hope the principal is sued personally for her actions, which appear to include stalking, if she is looking up parental Facebook accounts for behavior to sanction. Sounds like she is a bit irrational herself and should not be allowed near children.
Old November 5, 2013, 05:28 PM   #14
BarryLee

I’ve attached a link to a video from August TV Channel 6 where the Principal admits that the decision to ban this Mother was based on the Facebook posting. She does state that some other PTO members stated that Ms. Mount had been disruptive, but didn’t offer any examples of threats or violent acts.

I suppose you could say the Principle is simply being proactive, but it concerns me when her main motivation is the Mother being a legal gun owner. Another telling point to consider is that Ms. Mount is not banned from her daughter’s new school within the same district and is allowed to participate in the PTO. The School Superintendent states that they do not anticipate any problems from her.

http://www.wjbf.com/video?clipId=9476349&autostart=true
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 5, 2013, 05:39 PM   #15
madmo44mag

I prefer CCW over open carry and I guess I do because I don't want the bad guy knowing I am armed.
To go a site like Facebook and start sharing personal information is not a well though out plan.
My kids are on FB all the time but they have been taught you don't give out info that could be used against you are allow someone to victimize you.
There are way to many touchy - feely people and criminal types in this world.
Hell I got brought up on sexual harassment charges for telling a lady one day she had on a pretty dress.
The lawyers / judge laughed it right out of court but shows how some people react.
Old November 5, 2013, 07:45 PM   #16
RX-79G

I don't think that it is wise to tell random people that you carry a gun. Carrying it does not make you immune to crime, and could make you a target of crime. Mugging a guy with a gun is not mission impossible.

On a more social note, letting people know you're carrying a gun really isn't very polite. As un-PC (gun people are so PC) as that might be, guns don't make everyone feel calm, happy and neighborly. They are a boorish reminder that the world isn't perfect and we are all balancing our desire for happiness with our paranoia of the unknown. Telling people you like to walk around armed is just rubbing their noses in it.

It also makes people suddenly have to make a bunch of decisions about what kind of person you are or are not. And some people that carry guns are probably not thought of as the most dexterous or level headed people in the world. The "disruptive" mother probably seemed more than just disruptive when the CCW thing got out - she probably seemed "emotional and hot-headed", which does not go with our cultural desires for armed people.

So I'd keep things like CCW, intimate bedroom preferences, drinking frequency and opinions about groups of people off social media. They are never going to do you any favors.
Old November 5, 2013, 07:54 PM   #17
JerryM

I wonder when or if folks will learn that they should not post personal information on Facebook??

It does in fact often come home to roost with detrimental results.

I don't even belong, and don't intend to.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old November 5, 2013, 09:21 PM   #18
ClydeFrog

Social media....

I'm not real hip on the MySpace, Facebook(which I heard/read is now unpopular with many teens/pre-teens), LinkedIn.com, Twitter.
I am on Instagram & posted a few gun/gun shop related pics. I also put up a few US military pics, US Civil War battlefield pics.
One reason(among many) I avoid things like Facebook is that when any high profile event takes place, the cable/local media scour the social networks & public records.
As actor Gary Busey's character: Mad Dog says on the Fox series; King of the Hill; "I'm not gonna have my high school senior picture all over the CNN!"
As for the school administrator, I think she used poor judgement.
For the veteran/license holder, I think she shouldn't really advertise or display her CCW on a social media source but it's not illegal or unethical.

I put this news story in the same drawer as the young kid who used his pointed finger as a gun.
The little boy was later cleared & his records were modified.

Clyde
Old November 6, 2013, 01:33 AM   #19
RX-79G

PC is when you are corrected for not towing the party line, in full. That sort of behavior is found on the extremes of right and left. The "cold dead hands" crowd can be pretty obnoxious, especially when I've suggested in the past that people can love your right to a gun without needing to like your guns.

I know no one who is going to become a better person by having their nose rubbed in anyone else's opinion of what reality might be. Being smug is neither inspirational nor educational.
Old November 6, 2013, 05:35 AM   #20
rebs

I don't know all the facts about this so I won't say who is right or who is wrong, but I will say I do not and would not put information about my permit on facebook.
Old November 6, 2013, 06:27 AM   #21
spacecoast

There are many parents of school-age children who are passionate about diligently searching Facebook for any dirt they can dig up about teachers, staff members, other children in the class or other parents. This information is then forwarded on to the principal and/or school board members with dire warnings about protecting the safety of their precious children, most of whom could use additional parenting (and less parental Facebooking). Unfortunately most principals prefer to implement a CYA policy rather than do what is right.

These are general comments and do not necessarily apply to this case, but this happens ALL THE TIME. My advice is, if you engage in any sort on non-PC behavior, is to stay off Facebook or at least not to advertise it.
Old November 6, 2013, 06:42 AM   #22
Onward Allusion

Facebook

It's not just guns that get folks in hot water.

It's SOP for our HR Dept to check out a prospective employee's FB page as part of the background check process. Post pics with guns or alcohol, personal political views, risque pics, or rants and your stock value just went down. I freakin' run IT for a national brand and I don't have a FB page or use Twitter or Instagram!
Old November 6, 2013, 07:03 AM   #23
Double Naught Spy

If she has been disruptive at school previously, then I can see where the principal is scared of the woman and took the actions that she did. I don't like it necessarily, but understand it. After all, the principal has echoed a sentiment that we have echoed here numerous times about folks who had exhibited histories of being a problem who then did harm to others. The proclamations and queries get made about why nothing was done beforehand. This principal is making that beforehand effort. She is being proactive relative to what she sees as a specific possible threat.
Old November 6, 2013, 07:32 AM   #24
TimSr

Lots of discussion about what is wise and what is unwise to post on facebook, but its not really the point. Does a person deserve to be banned from a school or any where else for publically dislcosing they have a legal CCW, keeping in mind she was not charged with any firearms violation of any kind, or any other violation of the law?

Seems to me these days in America, a jihadist is given more respect and deference than a lawful gunowner.
Old November 6, 2013, 09:04 AM   #25
JerryM

Hi Tim,
[Lots of discussion about what is wise and what is unwise to post on facebook, but its not really the point. Does a person deserve to be banned from a school or any where else for publically dislcosing they have a legal CCW, keeping in mind she was not charged with any firearms violation of any kind, or any other violation of the law?]

NO, she should NOT have been banned. It demonstrates the attitudes of too many teachers, and we can then make a good guess as to what the message is to the students.

But we do need to realize that when you post personal information it may do harm.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.