The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 17, 2010, 04:41 PM   #1
tomcur33

antique scott&son side by side.

i have a beautiful wc scott&son side by side 20 ga. im trying to find out hoe old it is,and what it might be worth. the only number i can find on the gun is 18. if anyone can help that would be great. i will try to post pics. soon, thanks.

Last edited by tomcur33; July 18, 2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old July 17, 2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Pictures, especially close clear shots of proof marks on the bottom of the barrel and the action flats, will be a big help. W.C. Scott & Son was the company name until another son joined the business and it became Willam Scott & Sons.

W and C Scott was a different company.

There are all manner of fakes using slight variations of famous company names, which is why proof marks are needed.
Old July 17, 2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Snow Dog

Take to forearm off and remove the barrels from the frame. There should be proof marks and serial numbers etc stamped either on the underside of the barrels at the chamber end or on the watertable (the flat area of the frame that the barrels sit on). Once you find the serial number you can cross reference with this chart to give you an idea on when the gun was made. Post pics as soon as you can!

http://www.doublegunshop.com/dgsnos5.htm
Old July 18, 2010, 07:08 PM   #4
PetahW

As I responded, in your other/dupe thread:

"It was made between 1862, when the "& Son" was added, to 1890 when Scott stopped making muzzleloaders - most likely towards the later end, due to the relative tiny bore. (10 gauge was more popular at the time)

There is most likely more information, in the way of proofmarks, stamped into the metal, if the barrels are removed from the stock."

Tags
20 gauge , antique rifle , side by side , w c scott&son